That was poor

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby ivor_the_injun » Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:28 am

It was pretty painful to watch, but like any match there is a lot that we can learn from it:

1) Diao is not adequate cover for central midfield. Aside from a bit of neat footwork where he beat a couple of men in the first half (which brought a huge roar from the crowd), his distribution was abysmal and his timing in the challenge was very suspect.

2) As a result, Hamann should not under any circumstances be sold.

3) Kewell is going to have to get his ar*e in gear pretty soon if he wants to remain first choice on the left. Warnock didn't exactly set the world alight when he came on, but he did look confident, and I can see him getting the last 30 mins of quite a few matches in the coming months.

4) Pongolle looks more confident picking up the ball on the wing than in the centre. Didn't get too much of a chance, but certainly looked more competent than against Spurs. Was unlucky to get pulled back by the ref after getting himself out of a tight corner with some fantastic skill.

5) Cisse needs to sort his first touch out sharpish if he's going to make an impact this season. He looked more like 14 quids worth than 14 million.

6) Dudek will almost certainly be dropped when Kirkland's fit again. Looked far from commanding, with little or no communication with his back line.

7) Hyypia is, however, in very good form. He was absolutely majestic in the air.

8) Intriguingly, Gerrard looks more comfortable filling in as a makeshift striker than Kewell did last season. Could be useful for the last 10 mins of a match if we need cover for any injuries during the course of a match.

9) Our passing game needs a hell of a lot of work. (I'd like to think that last week's signings will develop this no end.)

10) Potter isn't ready for first team football yet. If Finnan had played as Potter did tonight, there'd be several threads calling for him to be offloaded immediately.

Personally, I'm glad we've learned these lessons in a Euro tie where we had a lot of breathing space as opposed to a Premiership game after the transfer window closes. Not to mention the fact that 4 solutions to a lot of these problems are waiting in the wings.
ivor_the_injun

Postby A.B. » Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:33 am

ivor_the_injun wrote:It was pretty painful to watch, but like any match there is a lot that we can learn from it:

1) Diao is not adequate cover for central midfield. Aside from a bit of neat footwork where he beat a couple of men in the first half (which brought a huge roar from the crowd), his distribution was abysmal and his timing in the challenge was very suspect.

2) As a result, Hamann should not under any circumstances be sold.

3) Kewell is going to have to get his ar*e in gear pretty soon if he wants to remain first choice on the left. Warnock didn't exactly set the world alight when he came on, but he did look confident, and I can see him getting the last 30 mins of quite a few matches in the coming months.

4) Pongolle looks more confident picking up the ball on the wing than in the centre. Didn't get too much of a chance, but certainly looked more competent than against Spurs. Was unlucky to get pulled back by the ref after getting himself out of a tight corner with some fantastic skill.

5) Cisse needs to sort his first touch out sharpish if he's going to make an impact this season. He looked more like 14 quids worth than 14 million.

6) Dudek will almost certainly be dropped when Kirkland's fit again. Looked far from commanding, with little or no communication with his back line.

7) Hyypia is, however, in very good form. He was absolutely majestic in the air.

8) Intriguingly, Gerrard looks more comfortable filling in as a makeshift striker than Kewell did last season. Could be useful for the last 10 mins of a match if we need cover for any injuries during the course of a match.

9) Our passing game needs a hell of a lot of work. (I'd like to think that last week's signings will develop this no end.)

10) Potter isn't ready for first team football yet. If Finnan had played as Potter did tonight, there'd be several threads calling for him to be offloaded immediately.

Personally, I'm glad we've learned these lessons in a Euro tie where we had a lot of breathing space as opposed to a Premiership game after the transfer window closes. Not to mention the fact that 4 solutions to a lot of these problems are waiting in the wings.

Truely, a briliant post.

The sooner we learn the better. We made it through and should move on, I'd rather lose now then later. We still have the Premiership, which should be our main priority to win.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby laza » Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:21 am

Cant comment on the game as i havent seen it  but it sounds like  a shocker Though while im always disappointed when Pool loses isnt this the best match to lose at home.
We havent lost any premiership points and we are through to the CL
Maybe a does of reality is that Liverpool arent going to become overnight sensations
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby desperado0831 » Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:38 am

i know maybe i can't give any comment coz i didn't saw the game but i'm really get shocked by the result after thought that we can win it easily and advance to the CL final. oh no,its just a qualifier round and what we suppose to show in the later group phase. ???
Reds is the sacred colour before this world was born.

desperado0831

Postby maximus » Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:18 am

Diao starting in central midfield, say no more...............the guy is clueless
maximus
LFC Super Member

Postby maximus » Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:21 am

Comments form rafa, via e-season ticket

Dear Liverpool supporter,

I didn't like last night's game against Graz AK. We had problems, we were nervous and lost a lot of second balls.

In games like this, you have to fight to the end and remember the score from the first game is not important.

I am part of the team, everyone was to blame. We all still have a lot to learn, but this is a problem for us all, not just one man, not just the team but for me also.

We did not play well in defence or attack. The reasons were that we became nervous and conceded possession too easily.

But we have a good squad and we all have to work harder, learn from this and understand what was bad about it.

When you concede a goal in such circumstances, you become nervous and have problems. We must learn that we must keep the ball better. Our problem is everyone's problem, the players and me. We need to work harder.

Regards,

Rafael Benitez
Liverpool Manager
maximus
LFC Super Member

Postby Roger Red Hat » Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:27 am

In all my years of watching LFC I can honestly say that last nights match was embarrasing. Diao - I have never seen such a usless tw@t in a red shirt. He is rubbish. I'm not sure about Cisse now. He hasn't looked like scoring in any game really. He looks moody & sulky too when he gets replaced, I don't think he's happy here and I'll give him 1 season. I bet he moves on next summer. Kewell is ok. But thats it, only ok.

Come back Houllier & Owen all is forgiven.

That was ******.
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maximus » Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:31 am

Lee J wrote:In all my years of watching LFC I can honestly say that last nights match was embarrasing. Diao - I have never seen such a usless tw@t in a red shirt. He is rubbish. I'm not sure about Cisse now. He hasn't looked like scoring in any game really. He looks moody & sulky too when he gets replaced, I don't think he's happy here and I'll give him 1 season. I bet he moves on next summer. Kewell is ok. But thats it, only ok.

Come back Houllier & Owen all is forgiven.

That was ******.

fickle tw*t..............................one game!!!!!!!!!!!  :angry:   :angry:
maximus
LFC Super Member

Postby Redtribe » Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:19 am

Ok lets look at Deportivo they could only manage 0-0 to shelbourne does that make them a bad team?

I think that just by looking at the team last night  i.e Potter and Diou that things were not going to be great!
But Rafa is still learning about his team and squad!
He has got us through to the CL group stages and that is important!
I did see some improvement last night from last season but only for very and i mean very brief spells and it was only in the intent of J.A.R going forward and the intention of a quicker tempo of passing!
In time i'm confident that Rafa will make us a better team and i will give him time as he did say that is what he needs to rebuild this team!

Patience is a virtue i think we should all command at the moment and pass judgement when Rafa has had a fair crack of the whip!
Redtribe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Roger Red Hat » Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:25 am

Maximus - only my opinion. No need for the abusive reply.
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maximus » Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:31 am

Lee J wrote:Maximus - only my opinion. No need for the abusive reply.

sorry mate, my apologies................p*****d off myself, but need to put into perspective.

Positives: Rafa seems to be keen in 'blooding' local youngsters
Luckily still made it to the group stages, put it behind us and move forward, Spanish armada still to come in.
maximus
LFC Super Member

Postby addicted norwegian » Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:50 am

We have to raise or game from yesterdays performance. I actually feel a bit sorry for Bolton who would be victims of a Liverpool-team with their minds set on proving that this was a one time event. We`re through to CL, we`re pitching world class debutants and we are ready to revenge our shockingly hiddeous performance.

Watching the match felt almost unreal; We were pushed back by a team that we normally would beat 99 out of 100 times, and when that poxy ref didn`t send of their skipper after booking him twice I seriously wondered if this was just a bad dream
addicted norwegian
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 72-1090627431 » Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:22 am

That was a major shocker!

having watched last night from the centenery lower stand, people were falling asleep. We have a lot of hard work to do.

Considering we have signed alonso, where the hell was he last night???

no pressure on them whatsoever, with no ideas, and Id sell Kewell back to Leeds tommorow. he is poo

I hate to say it, but that was WORSE than any Houllier managed performance I saw last season, and there is obviously a lot of dead wood still needs cutting down!

If we play like that we can expect an early exit from the champs league.
72-1090627431

Postby stmichael » Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:26 am

Hustlers Revenge wrote:Id sell Kewell back to Leeds tommorow. he is poor

i tell you what, i am willing to give harry the benefit of the doubt for the next 3-4 games, but i have to say that he is wearing my patience very thin and has been for the last 6 months. he got subbed again last night and who can blame rafa? ok the rest of the team were no better but kewell's lame attempt to charge down the goal was a disgrace. someone needs to put a rocket up his @rse. :angry:
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Fowler_E7 » Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:33 am

i think everyone needs to calm down, ok so we lost but it was no wear near as bad as im reading, a poor performance but nothing to worry about. Remember that it is not even close to our strongest line up.

Put it this way i'd much rather lose the game yesterday than at the weekend, were still through to group stages at the end of the day. Just wait until our new signings start playing you will see a huge improvement in the side.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion