That dellas fella for greece...

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sat Jul 03, 2004 3:08 am

No but class stands out mate. It doesn't matter where you see it. 5 games is enough to judge someone if you know what you are looking for and he clearly has everything.

With Diouf at the world cup i didn't think he was class. I thought he looked a good raw prospect with potential, but he didn't have class in his game. Much like Baros at the moment. Theres definate ability and potential to improve there, but he doesn't as yet "ooze class".

Obviously Dellas does or he wouldn't be paying for Roma. I didn't know he played for a club of that size as i hadn't really heard of him. The name rung a bell but nothing more.

Watching him his composure, positioning and reading of the game are top class. He is strong and good in the air and uses the ball well. Imo he is VERY similar to Sami. Watch him closely in the final and compare him to Sami, i bet you'd see what am sayin.
115-1073096938

Postby adayinthelife » Sat Jul 03, 2004 5:50 am

stu_the_red wrote:No but class stands out mate. It doesn't matter where you see it. 5 games is enough to judge someone if you know what you are looking for and he clearly has everything.

With Diouf at the world cup i didn't think he was class. I thought he looked a good raw prospect with potential, but he didn't have class in his game. Much like Baros at the moment. Theres definate ability and potential to improve there, but he doesn't as yet "ooze class".

Obviously Dellas does or he wouldn't be paying for Roma. I didn't know he played for a club of that size as i hadn't really heard of him. The name rung a bell but nothing more.

Watching him his composure, positioning and reading of the game are top class. He is strong and good in the air and uses the ball well. Imo he is VERY similar to Sami. Watch him closely in the final and compare him to Sami, i bet you'd see what am sayin.

Hey Stu u talk such bollox.  :laugh:

Dellas is very alike Hyypia in that he is slow.

The last thing we need is another slow defender and yet cuz a guy plays well in a very defensive team like us under houllier he looks world class. :laugh:

What do you have against Baros ???

He was the best forward in the tournament and his goals against Holland and Denmark oozed class as you put it you muppet. :laugh:
Smith to Shankly:My thigh is a bit sore,but I think I could play.
Shankly to Fagan:Tell him,Joe.He has got no chance of playing.
Smith to Fagan:Tell him to sod off.It is not his leg,it's mine.
Shankly to Smith:Oh no son.You are wrong,son.It is not your leg.
It is Liverpool Football Club's leg.
adayinthelife
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Sat Jul 03, 2004 3:45 pm

Dellas has played very well for Greece in this tournament.

I remember him playing for Sheff UTD a couple of years ago and he looked like an average Division One player.

A word of warning as to unknown fellas who star in tournaments:

Xavier: was brilliant for Portugal in 2000.
Miroslave Klose: scored 5 goals for Germany in 2002.
Gary Breen: played so well for Ireland in 2002 WC that he almost secured a move to Barcelona!!!! (thats actually true!)
El Hadji Diouff: played very well in WC 2002 and in African Nations Cup that same year.

IMO its very dangerous signing a guy solely on the basis on a good international tournament. A lot of unique factors come into play which can elevate a guy above his normal game.

My pick of defenders from Euro 2004 would be Carvalho of Portugal: he was fantastic for Porto last season as well.

I like Ujfaluisi of Czech Republic as well but I think you'd need to play him along side a rock solid stopper to get the best from him.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sat Jul 03, 2004 5:15 pm

Hey Stu u talk such bollox.   

The last thing we need is another slow defender and yet cuz a guy plays well in a very defensive team like us under houllier he looks world class. 

What do you have against Baros 

He was the best forward in the tournament and his goals against Holland and Denmark oozed class as you put it you muppet.

Right, so you are suggesting that pace means everything?

No not because he plays well in a defensive team. Its easy to spot a cass act when you see one. Dellas is a class act. Much the same as Hyypia. All this nonsense about Sami not being the player he was annoys me. He's not playing with players that are as good as what we once had. He's still a class defender.

What do i have against Baros? NOTHING!!! He's just not as good as Michael Owen. No shame in that. His goal against Holland was brilliant. His goals against Denmark where down to terrible goalkeeping. The first one the keeper didn't move out of the 6 yard box and the second one if he's stood up he'd have saved it. Good finishes they where the goalkeeping in the first place was lower premiership standard to be kind.

I like Ujfaluisi of Czech Republic as well but I think you'd need to play him along side a rock solid stopper to get the best from him.

Agree, someone like Hyypia or Dellas. However i don't think this lads as good as people are saying. He's similar to Henchoz in alot of aspects but with slightly different strengths. I wouldn't say he had more ability than Stephane.
115-1073096938

Postby woof woof ! » Sat Jul 03, 2004 10:06 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:I would rather have Ufalujshi the Czech centre half.

Totally agree Leon,
He's gotta be the "outstanding defender" in euro 2004. No wonder the Czechs could go forward with such confidence when you have a player like that backing you up.
If we ever needed to find a name to slot into our defence I think he fills it. :)  :)

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby woof woof ! » Sat Jul 03, 2004 10:35 pm

As for the "Greek debate" No one player struck me as being "outstanding" . I thought they were all very much part of a well organised defensive plan. As individuals in a different setup (team) I'm not sure they would appear to be so effective.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby adayinthelife » Sun Jul 04, 2004 3:05 am

stu_the_red wrote:
Hey Stu u talk such bollox.   

The last thing we need is another slow defender and yet cuz a guy plays well in a very defensive team like us under houllier he looks world class. 

What do you have against Baros 

He was the best forward in the tournament and his goals against Holland and Denmark oozed class as you put it you muppet.

Right, so you are suggesting that pace means everything?

No not because he plays well in a defensive team. Its easy to spot a cass act when you see one. Dellas is a class act. Much the same as Hyypia. All this nonsense about Sami not being the player he was annoys me. He's not playing with players that are as good as what we once had. He's still a class defender.

What do i have against Baros? NOTHING!!! He's just not as good as Michael Owen. No shame in that. His goal against Holland was brilliant. His goals against Denmark where down to terrible goalkeeping. The first one the keeper didn't move out of the 6 yard box and the second one if he's stood up he'd have saved it. Good finishes they where the goalkeeping in the first place was lower premiership standard to be kind.

Agree, someone like Hyypia or Dellas. However i don't think this lads as good as people are saying. He's similar to Henchoz in alot of aspects but with slightly different strengths. I wouldn't say he had more ability than Stephane.

Our defence needs pace more than ever not another big guy who is as slow as Hyypia.

It is alot easier to judge a defender in an attacking team like the Czechs rather than a defensive team who sit back.

IMO Ujfalushi is miles ahead of henchoz in terms of ability and Hyypia made him look better than he was.

I think you will find that Sorensen has been a premiership keeper for while now and was 1 of the better keepers last season. :D

I never once said Baros was better than Owen but if you look at their goalscoring records when they started matches they are very similiar. :D
Smith to Shankly:My thigh is a bit sore,but I think I could play.
Shankly to Fagan:Tell him,Joe.He has got no chance of playing.
Smith to Fagan:Tell him to sod off.It is not his leg,it's mine.
Shankly to Smith:Oh no son.You are wrong,son.It is not your leg.
It is Liverpool Football Club's leg.
adayinthelife
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sun Jul 04, 2004 8:37 pm

Alan Hansen's a Dellas fan. :D

Just watching that first half tonight he's impressed me again. Twice he put forward players on there ****** with nifty footwork and skill.

What a player :cool:
115-1073096938

Postby clint » Sun Jul 04, 2004 9:50 pm

the greek right back impressed me
clint

Postby murphy0151 » Sun Jul 04, 2004 10:11 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:I would rather have Ufalujshi the Czech centre half.

You would woulnt ya
murphy0151
LFC Super Member

Postby simic_ie » Mon Jul 05, 2004 10:02 am

John Barnes' Granny wrote:My pick of defenders from Euro 2004 would be Carvalho of Portugal: he was fantastic for Porto last season as well.

Totally agree with you there JBG. Carvlho was class in the Champions League all eason too so he has done it all year. If there was one centre back I'd buy out of anyone presently availale it would be him.
“It was my first of the season, my last of the season, my best of the season and the one I will remember for ever.”

- Vladi Smicer after scoring in the CL Final

"I'm not a believer in fate..... until tonight, they're going to win it!"
-  Liam Brady after extra time of CL Final
simic_ie
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Tue Jul 06, 2004 12:13 am

Just want to add my vote for Ricardo Carvalho, he's only 26 and plays with the experience of a 33 year old. Camacho is interested in him though.

Saw this on Dellas as well..........

At least the blue noses wont get a sniff at him!
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion