Technical area - Keegan moans

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ciggy » Mon Aug 23, 2004 8:42 am

Owen reveals truth on keegan in his book :angry:
Owen reveals Keegan rift
By Henry Winter and Sam Wallace  (Filed: 23/08/2004)

Michael Owen, the England and Real Madrid forward, has launched a fearsome critique of Kevin Keegan's managerial acumen, claiming that he began to "really resent" Keegan during Euro 2000 and was "scarred" by the experience.

"I know Keegan didn't have much confidence in me," writes Owen in Michael Owen: Off The Record (CollinsWillow, £18.99). "Kevin tried to make training fun but I didn't enjoy it when he was in charge. I assume the manager had conveyed to his staff what he thought of me – and plainly it wasn't complimentary. If I did one tiny thing wrong, there would be a rush of critical comment."

Owen's frustrations centred around Keegan's belief that he could change the striker, making him operate more with his back to goal, rather than exploiting Owen's obvious strength as a pacey forward who relished the ball played in front of him. This came to a head before the Romania tie at Euro 2000.

"In training all week Keegan had kept me behind, playing balls into me and telling me what he wanted me to do. He wanted me to hold the ball up and link play more."

Owen continued: "A team meeting was called to discuss the Romanians and Keegan set off on a 20-minute lecture about me. `Michael if I was any other manager you would not be playing tomorrow. You've got to improve or we'll have to change.' Ten minutes into the game and I could see three substitute strikers warming up and my desperation to impress the manager was turning to anger.

"I really started to resent him – not as a man but as a manager. With a quarter of an hour gone, I thought: `Sod him, I'm playing my own game. I know I'm good.' Then I scored and the relief was immense. I just wanted to make a gesture to Keegan that said: `I told you so.' It was a dark phase in my career and, yes, it scarred me."
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:38 am

I just read the above on the telegraph website.

I think Keegan is jealous of Benithez because perhaps secretly he wants the Liverpool manager's job.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:46 am

ya reckon noway would i ever want him at our club he aint good enough and hes always bad mouthin us :p
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bruno Zidane! » Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:51 am

Keegan is a complete ar$e and if he thinks they lost cos he couldnt see then hes a worse manager than i already thought he was, what does keegan think the technical area is there for? ??? hes just the first manager to fall at the phychological brillance of benitez!!!
Chopper:Look, you're not still angry at me about the leg, are you?
Neville Bartos : Nah, forget about it.
Chopper : Because I don't know if you remember, Neville, but I had that bloody shotgun pointed at your head. I reconsidered and dropped it down to your kneecap. Remember?
Bruno Zidane!
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:04 am

I think Keegan is jealous of Benithez because perhaps secretly he wants the Liverpool manager's job.

i'd rather have Souness back with Toben Picknic in defence :laugh:
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sean » Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:28 am

My local football team is Cork City (League of Ireland).  The manager is about 18 stone.  He man is hughe and he stands up and rants and raves from the side line all the time.  I'd love to see Keegan trying to watch the game from behind him...I'd just love it !!!
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby taff » Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:35 am

The guy is simply not well
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:53 am

Quote (Bruno Zidane! @ Aug. 23 2004,09:51)
Keegan is a complete ar$e and if he thinks they lost cos he couldnt see then hes a worse manager than i already thought he was, what does keegan think the technical area is there for? hes just the first manager to fall at the phychological brillance of benitez!!!

Your first line was utterly funny!

I think he was trying the Arsene Wenger "I did not see the incident" line. Ae he does not wear glasses like Wenger, he needs a more plausible excuse why he did not "see" the action. Probably did not want to admit that the sight of Benithez's @rse was a better sight than his woeful team...lol!
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:58 am

I read in the independent web site that keegan reffered to Rafa as "Mr. Bennett" who kept blocking his view the whole time and that "When he improves his English, we'll have to have a word about it," Keegan said.

I think it is not a case of "Mr. Bennett" having to improve his English, rather it is a case of Keegan having to improve his pronounciation, otherwise "Mr. Bennett" may not respont to him at all as he is addressing the wrong person!
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jymbojetset » Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:02 am

Can't see what Keegan was moaning about, thought that was whole point of technical area!
jymbojetset
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:06 am

taff wrote:The guy is simply not well

:D  :D  :D

i agree. he's too emotionally involved to be a top class football manager. i was going to put money on him being the first premiership manager to be axed but paul sturrock has been sacked this morning.

what is football coming to? the guy had 12 games, won on saturday and has lost his job.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Sean » Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:27 am

I remember back in the 80's being amused at how Italian and Spanish teams changed their managers so often...but now the premiership is no different.

Also, Rupert Lowe gave Sturrock a vote of confidence after Saturday's game.....what could have happened since then ?
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby Ciggy » Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:30 am

I think it is not a case of "Mr. Bennett" having to improve his English, rather it is a case of Keegan having to improve his pronounciation, otherwise "Mr. Bennett" may not respont to him at all as he is addressing the wrong person! :D :laugh: :D nice one

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:33 am

i'm quite impressed by mr bennett's english to be honest. he speaks very well. makes a change from the days of kenny who nobody could hear or understand, and old ged, who just spoke sh#te. :D
Last edited by stmichael on Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby taff » Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:39 am

The guy was a great player and does try to copy Shankly as much as possible but he is unstable.

With managers going thank God for the way we are run even GH going in the summer was handled with dignity. Its no coincidence that the sacking clubs rarely achieve things.

Chelsea should be there at the end of the season but if they have a bad run which could very well happen the squad and the manager could be nervous wrecks while if we hit a bad patch I have confidence that RB will have support and backing as he's here for a long term.

Worrying about your job from game to game is hardly the conditions to develop squad morale and solid tactics.
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion