Taxi for Torres - judas fecks off to chelsea

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby maguskwt » Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:33 pm

s@int wrote:
Toffeehater wrote:
s@int wrote:
Toffeehater wrote:yes i agree with u on the torres part but lets just say what happens if the player we buy is a flop coming with a great record , someone like morrienties , people will go like oh they spent so much and he's not performing , a good example would be shevchenko . we would have then just wasted so much cash esp in our situation , we need proven goal scorers and NOT take a gamble , cos i think all we're gonna get is 1 shot and we gotta take it , go for robbie keane or anelka , if a second striker is to be bought

As I said ANY transfer is a gamble.

I explained in another thread that I personally don't rate Robbie Keane.

Anelka is a different type of gamble, would his personality be happy playing second fiddle to Torres? Could he stay happy long enough to be a worth while buy?

When he was here last time we made a big mistake letting him go, but now I am not so sure about him coming back. Certainly he would be better than Kuyt but maybe we could get better for the money.

ok fair enough saint , 10 mill is anelka price tag , any player on ur mind mate ? better for that kind of cash?

Not better as there are few better than Anelka at that price (Owen maybe), but different. I think Diego would be around that figure, but his price may have rocketed due to his recent form.

Personally I would rather wait if necessary and buy bigger and better as we did with Torres. Once you get to the £20million mark I think there are quite a few that would be better.

I think we have made too many stopgap signings already, and I think Anelka would be a stopgap not a longterm signing. Not because he lacks ability but maybe just his character.

or van der Vaart from Hamburg...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:57 pm

LittleHobo wrote:we dont have the pulling power of a man utd or a real madrid or barcelona and we dont have the ability to give stupid wages away like chelsea

Alonso opted for us ahead of Real Madrid.

Torres opted for us over, reportedly, a host of other top clubs and took less money than he was on at Atletico.

Mascherano, I'm sure, has been courted by a few big clubs but has reiterated his desire to stay with us.

This is the first season in which we've been able to fork out £20m for one player. We are entering a different financial league.

We might not be able to compete with the wage clout of Chelsea but who can?, I'd sooner have players whose primary motivation for choosing a particular club isn't their weekly wage.

Malouda for example, feck him.

He reportedly opted for Chelsea due to the wages.

Then the tw@t complained that training methods here were too intense.
LFC2007

Postby account deleted by request » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:11 pm

LittleHobo wrote:
username wrote:
LittleHobo wrote:
Toffeehater wrote:
LittleHobo wrote:ibrahimovic is dream land

as is berbatov

santa cruz has had a good half season, dont buy him based on that, file along side the portsmouth striker who is also unproved

dont think anelka is the right partner for torres although i rate him highly...file along side defoe and david villa......villa and torres never really clicked at international level

the ones i would like are just miles away from us signing at the moment......ibrahimovic and berbatov

berbatov getting back to form , he's just scored 4 goals against reading , the team we lost 3-1 to

my point is i just cant see us signing berbatov or ibrahimovic

bigger teams than us would get them

But this is Liverpool, the biggest and greatest football team in the world.

yes i would love to believe that

the truth is the only top class player we have signed in recent years is torres...this was probaly due to torres not really setting the world alight at the time

you can argue alonso but he was a risk as he was pretty unproven and maybe mascherano but he was having a bad time in west ham reserves

we dont have the pulling power of a man utd or a real madrid or barcelona and we dont have the ability to give stupid wages away like chelsea

I hate to admit it but I think to a large extent you are probably right. I think we have lost ground to our rivals where competition for players is concerned.

Money, success,climate, London, Madrid, Milan are all things that must play a part in a players decision of which club he goes to. Thats why I feel its so important to get in quickly, and close deals quickly before the more glamorously located or richer clubs can hijack our deals.

As we have Rick Parry we needn't worry  :D
Last edited by account deleted by request on Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
account deleted by request

Postby mart » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:50 pm

s@int wrote:I hate to admit it but I think to a large extent you are probably right. I think we have lost ground to our rivals where competition for players is concerned.

Money, success,climate, London, Madrid, Milan are all things that must play a part in a players decision of which club he goes to. Thats why I feel its so important to get in quickly, and close deals quickly before the more glamorously located or richer clubs can hijack our deals.

Yes. You also got to remember that todays young players grew up watching Arsenal, ManU and recently Chelsea as the league winning clubs. Naturally they are the ones seen as the real top clubs in this league.

I feel Liverpool is on the way back to the top, but its still a way to go.
mart
LFC Super Member

Postby whylongball? » Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:24 am

s@int wrote:
Toffeehater wrote:
s@int wrote:
Toffeehater wrote:yes i agree with u on the torres part but lets just say what happens if the player we buy is a flop coming with a great record , someone like morrienties , people will go like oh they spent so much and he's not performing , a good example would be shevchenko . we would have then just wasted so much cash esp in our situation , we need proven goal scorers and NOT take a gamble , cos i think all we're gonna get is 1 shot and we gotta take it , go for robbie keane or anelka , if a second striker is to be bought

As I said ANY transfer is a gamble.

I explained in another thread that I personally don't rate Robbie Keane.

Anelka is a different type of gamble, would his personality be happy playing second fiddle to Torres? Could he stay happy long enough to be a worth while buy?

When he was here last time we made a big mistake letting him go, but now I am not so sure about him coming back. Certainly he would be better than Kuyt but maybe we could get better for the money.

ok fair enough saint , 10 mill is anelka price tag , any player on ur mind mate ? better for that kind of cash?

Not better as there are few better than Anelka at that price (Owen maybe), but different. I think Diego would be around that figure, but his price may have rocketed due to his recent form.

Personally I would rather wait if necessary and buy bigger and better as we did with Torres. Once you get to the £20million mark I think there are quite a few that would be better.

I think we have made too many stopgap signings already, and I think Anelka would be a stopgap not a longterm signing. Not because he lacks ability but maybe just his character.

he could be in your term a stopgap but that would last for 2 to 3 years. Play 4-4-2 with Anelka and Torres upfront and you should win all the way
          Reina
Finnan Carager Agger Aberola

SG Mash  Alonso  Kewell

Anelka Torres

Torres 20+ goals per season
Aselka 20+
SG 15+
:D
whylongball?

Postby LegBarnes » Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:04 am

mart wrote:
s@int wrote:I hate to admit it but I think to a large extent you are probably right. I think we have lost ground to our rivals where competition for players is concerned.

Yes. You also got to remember that todays young players grew up watching Arsenal, ManU and recently Chelsea as the league winning clubs. Naturally they are the ones seen as the real top clubs in this league.

I feel Liverpool is on the way back to the top, but its still a way to go.

so they didnt watch us do the treb and win CL i think many players know off our history and our passion for the game many would love to play for LFC its just now we have more spending power if G&H get out there check books (and rafa can do some good deals)

Love to see us go for healy i think he is top class and wouldnt have to much of a ego and i think we get him for 5-7 mil due to fact he is in a total dier club.
LegBarnes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:43 pm

Well, at least one good thing happened today.  Yes, it was another crucial goal from Torres but it was the manner of the goal that I'm referring to.  There was some question a while back whether Torres was capable of shooting from distance with power and accuracy.  Well, we have our answer. :D
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby bigmick » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:51 pm

He's an incredible find and no mistake. Absolutely appears to have everything for me, and the manager deserves huge credit for his purchase. Interestingly enough whenever there is debate about the managers position, there is always speculation form some quarters that were Rafa to leave some of the players may feel sufficiently aggrieved to leave with him. I don't think that is likely, but were it the case that we were perpetually to be out of the title race by Christmas, before finishing fourth at best every season I actually think there is more of a danger that the likes of Gerrard or Torres might like to move on if Rafa STAYS, not if he leaves.

Either way though, Torres is the best striker I have seen in a Liverpool shirt in many a year. He has much to achieve before he can emulate some of his illustrious predecessors, but he is potentially the equal of any striker we've ever had IMHO (I don't really include Dalglish as he was more of a Saint-like "creative second striker" for me). That means of course I'm talking of players such as Fowler, Owen, Aldridge and of course the arch poacher extraordinaire, Rush.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:57 pm

I'm constantly amazed how easy he makes his goals look.  With that strike today, his ability to glide into space and pick his spot before unleashing with venom was top drawer.  Some people hit a sweet ball from outside the box but you get the impression it's a bit hit and hope (Riise comes to mind).  But with Torres today, you felt as though he meant to rattle it in off the upright.  Phenomenal player! :bowdown:
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby roberto green » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:00 pm

yeah Benitez has at last bought a good striker not bad on a scale of 1 in 6, being Morientes,Crouch,Voronin,Kuyt and bellamy?
roberto green

Postby Dundalk » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:01 pm

He really is starting to look like real deal. We were really poor today and it was always going to need something like his strike to get something from the game.

Inter Milan wont be losing to much sleep over some of our players but  with this boy they really will.  Class act.
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:19 am

Ronaldo - 21
Adebayor - 19
Torres - 15

Our boy is up to third in the top scorers in the Premier League

:nod
Last edited by Dundalk on Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:34 am

Fantastic player, I hope he keeps his run of goals.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ruskiy playmaker » Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:27 am

This kid is amazing, it took guys like Henry and Drogba at least one year to get used to the English game, but he makes it seem like he's been here for years.  And what really excites me is that next year he's going to get even better.  We've really got to bring in more talent around him though, so we can get the best out of this player.  We don't want the team to start depending on him to get all the goals.
[img]http://i42.tinypic.com/lkw42.gif[img]
ruskiy playmaker

Postby holylamb2006 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:33 am

Proud to have him on our squad !!!!
holylamb2006

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion