Taxi for Torres - judas fecks off to chelsea

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby account deleted by request » Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:03 am

Another player I think would do a great job for us is  Zlatan Ibrahimovic , I know he's a lazy so and so and he also missed an open goal against us from about 2 yards, but he is also capable of creating and scoring great goals ubiquitous youtube goal

With his size and ability I could see him playing a Cantona type role for us.
Last edited by account deleted by request on Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
account deleted by request

Postby JamCar05 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:48 pm

s@int wrote:Another player I think would do a great job for us is  Zlatan Ibrahimovic , I know he's a lazy so and so and he also missed an open goal against us from about 2 yards, but he is also capable of creating and scoring great goals ubiquitous youtube goal

With his size and ability I could see him playing a Cantona type role for us.

He's a very good player indeed, but he would probably be way out of our price range. I actually think he would be one of the most expensive strikers around these days. He's been doing the business for Inter for some time now, and they are by far the best team in the italian league these days, so I figure he would demand quite a big transfer fee (plus a huge wage package as well of course).
JamCar05

Postby atm » Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:19 pm

Hi,

The all goals of Torres (06/2001 - 12/2007):

ed2k://|file|FERNANDO%20TORRES-jun01-di ... 0goals.zip
|1080746639|AFE09336E22F6D219003E2F42CA423D4|h=6CQJGPND7VA56OAHBT7ZYPL5DY4BOEBZ|/
Last edited by Bad Bob on Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
atm

Postby Sabre » Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:00 pm

In order to download that you have to copy and paste that link in the emule application.

Just a quick note on Torres, the bonus that S@int brought in an article the other day have a limit of 4Millions apparently. That is, Atletico Madrid will receive extra money from Liverpool for Torres goals until that limit.

Good to hear that because if Torres continues that way he'd provoke bankrupcy! :)

I've been reading the Marca paper edition, and I'm waiting for it appearing in the internet in pdf, as there are several info on Liverpool. A two pages interview of Arbeloa, and the Spaniards of the premiership (Alonso, Arteta, Campo) all of them praising Torres' adaptation. Alonso says that not even the most optimistic people expected such a great performance and that he's surprising everybody. Alonso says aswell that they were needing a reference striker for a long time and Torres has become that striker.

As soon as I have it available, I'll rip the photos and the quotes, so far they're not available in the online edition of the paper.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LittleHobo » Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:03 pm

ibrahimovic is dream land

as is berbatov

santa cruz has had a good half season, dont buy him based on that, file along side the portsmouth striker who is also unproved

dont think anelka is the right partner for torres although i rate him highly...file along side defoe and david villa......villa and torres never really clicked at international level

the ones i would like are just miles away from us signing at the moment......ibrahimovic and berbatov
LittleHobo
LFC Super Member

Postby Toffeehater » Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:28 pm

s@int wrote:
Toffeehater wrote:
s@int wrote:If I could have my choice I would probably go for Sergio Aguero who would cost about £20million+ , Giovani Dos Santos who although still very young we could get for £10million at the moment (buy out clause)or Diego who would cost about £10/15million. Any of these would be great IMO, they would create lots of goals and score plenty as well, while linking attack and midfield and adding that little bit of much needed creativity when we come up against the top sides.

but one prob mate , they are not proven in the english league , they could be flops with great records from their own leagues , etc cissie

Was Torres proven in the English league? Maybe we shouldn't have bought him either  :D

Any player can be a flop, all buys are a gamble no matter where they come from. Clough looked ideal for the liverpool team, had already won medals and was PROVEN in England. Morientes was proven in Europe and again looked a guaranteed success. Heskey ?

Van Nistelroy, Henry etc etc came over here and were tremendously successful.

You have to pick a player on ability not on where they come from. Obviously its an advantage if they have prem experience but you also pay a high premium for that.

The point I was trying to make was rather than going for another out and out striker, we should be going for a creative second striker that will create as many goals for others as they score themselves. Players in the mould of Stjohn,Keegan, Dalglish, Beardsley, Bergkamp, Sheringham etc etc.

We are desperately short of someone with that extra creativity in attack when we come up against resolute defences and top sides, someone who will link up our midfield and attack.

As I have said before apart from Chelsea and Blackburn what was the last team to win the league without a creative second striker. Think of any great team and the chances are that they had a creative second striker.

Just think of Liverpool teams :-

1960's 2 league titles  (With Stjohn)
1970's 3 league titles  (with Keegan)
1970's 2 league titles  (with Dalglish)
1980's 6 league titles  (4 with Dalglish) (2 with Beardsley)

Then look were the gaps in our title runs occur, 1967 - 1973, 1990 - present day. Strangely Stjohn was moved back into midfield and we bought Hateley to play alongside Hunt in 1967. It wasn't till Keegan came along that we started to win titles again.

Right after Keegan left we bought Dalglish so obviously there was no interuptions to the flow of titles, then we bought Beardsley and the titles still flowed our way.

1991 we sold Beardsley and since then we haven't won the title.

Yes we have won plenty of cups because we have had some great players in the last 18 years, but to become a great team again we need a great creative second striker.

United have had a string of them Cantona, York, Sherringham, Rooney, Arsenal have had one of the best in Bergkamp, we have had Litmenen (who hardly played) and Murphy  :D Not forgetting Kuyt, who is probably the most uncreative second striker in the league :D

In fact probably the best partnership we have had in the last 18 years was Collymore and Fowler, but as we all know Collymore wasn't the steadiest bottle on the shelf.

yes i agree with u on the torres part but lets just say what happens if the player we buy is a flop coming with a great record , someone like morrienties , people will go like oh they spent so much and he's not performing , a good example would be shevchenko . we would have then just wasted so much cash esp in our situation , we need proven goal scorers and NOT take a gamble , cos i think all we're gonna get is 1 shot and we gotta take it , go for robbie keane or anelka , if a second striker is to be bought
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:29 pm

LittleHobo wrote:ibrahimovic is dream land

as is berbatov

santa cruz has had a good half season, dont buy him based on that, file along side the portsmouth striker who is also unproved

dont think anelka is the right partner for torres although i rate him highly...file along side defoe and david villa......villa and torres never really clicked at international level

the ones i would like are just miles away from us signing at the moment......ibrahimovic and berbatov

berbatov getting back to form , he's just scored 4 goals against reading , the team we lost 3-1 to
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:36 pm

i think it's a big test for torres tomorrow. ferdinand basically marked him out of the game the other week and tomorrow he's going to be in another big tussle with richards (i presume he'll be marking him).

i agree with what babel said the other day though. he can't do it all by himself. he needs better support from the other players around him. against derby, apart from the goal, he was isolated for long periods and hardly got a kick. we still need more goals from other players (gerrard aside).
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby account deleted by request » Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:54 pm

Toffeehater wrote:yes i agree with u on the torres part but lets just say what happens if the player we buy is a flop coming with a great record , someone like morrienties , people will go like oh they spent so much and he's not performing , a good example would be shevchenko . we would have then just wasted so much cash esp in our situation , we need proven goal scorers and NOT take a gamble , cos i think all we're gonna get is 1 shot and we gotta take it , go for robbie keane or anelka , if a second striker is to be bought

As I said ANY transfer is a gamble.

I explained in another thread that I personally don't rate Robbie Keane.

Anelka is a different type of gamble, would his personality be happy playing second fiddle to Torres? Could he stay happy long enough to be a worth while buy?

When he was here last time we made a big mistake letting him go, but now I am not so sure about him coming back. Certainly he would be better than Kuyt but maybe we could get better for the money.

Postby Toffeehater » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:08 pm

s@int wrote:
Toffeehater wrote:yes i agree with u on the torres part but lets just say what happens if the player we buy is a flop coming with a great record , someone like morrienties , people will go like oh they spent so much and he's not performing , a good example would be shevchenko . we would have then just wasted so much cash esp in our situation , we need proven goal scorers and NOT take a gamble , cos i think all we're gonna get is 1 shot and we gotta take it , go for robbie keane or anelka , if a second striker is to be bought

Anelka is a different type of gamble, would his personality be happy playing second fiddle to Torres? Could he stay happy long enough to be a worth while buy?

When he was here last time we made a big mistake letting him go, but now I am not so sure about him coming back. Certainly he would be better than Kuyt but maybe we could get better for the money.

ok fair enough saint , 10 mill is anelka price tag , any player on ur mind mate ? better for that kind of cash?
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:19 pm

Toffeehater wrote:
s@int wrote:

ok fair enough saint , 10 mill is anelka price tag , any player on ur mind mate ? better for that kind of cash?

Not better as there are few better than Anelka at that price (Owen maybe), but different. I think Diego would be around that figure, but his price may have rocketed due to his recent form.

Personally I would rather wait if necessary and buy bigger and better as we did with Torres. Once you get to the £20million mark I think there are quite a few that would be better.

I think we have made too many stopgap signings already, and I think Anelka would be a stopgap not a longterm signing. Not because he lacks ability but maybe just his character.

Postby Toffeehater » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:23 pm

s@int wrote:
Toffeehater wrote:
s@int wrote:

Not better as there are few better than Anelka at that price (Owen maybe), but different. I think Diego would be around that figure, but his price may have rocketed due to his recent form.

Personally I would rather wait if necessary and buy bigger and better as we did with Torres. Once you get to the £20million mark I think there are quite a few that would be better.

I think we have made too many stopgap signings already, and I think Anelka would be a stopgap not a longterm signing. Not because he lacks ability but maybe just his character.

have to agree with u too , i rather wait also and spend it on shot on a better more clinical striker , and kuyt reads torres very well even though he rarely scores , also how old is anelka to begin with ? 29??
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LittleHobo » Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:31 pm

Toffeehater wrote:

as is berbatov

berbatov getting back to form , he's just scored 4 goals against reading , the team we lost 3-1 to

my point is i just cant see us signing berbatov or ibrahimovic

bigger teams than us would get them
LittleHobo
LFC Super Member

Postby username » Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:15 pm

LittleHobo wrote:
Toffeehater wrote:

as is berbatov

But this is Liverpool, the biggest and greatest football team in the world.
"Fernando Towers won't triumph in the premiership.
And you can quote me on that. " - Sabre 2007
Sorry Sabre, but when i see stuff like this i have to quote it :D
username

Postby LittleHobo » Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:20 pm

username wrote:
LittleHobo wrote:
Toffeehater wrote:

as is berbatov

But this is Liverpool, the biggest and greatest football team in the world.

yes i would love to believe that

the truth is the only top class player we have signed in recent years is torres...this was probaly due to torres not really setting the world alight at the time

you can argue alonso but he was a risk as he was pretty unproven and maybe mascherano but he was having a bad time in west ham reserves

we dont have the pulling power of a man utd or a real madrid or barcelona and we dont have the ability to give stupid wages away like chelsea
LittleHobo
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion