Take a deep breath - Don't blame the players

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:23 am

woof woof ! wrote:For once I think Rafa got it wrong .

When I saw our line up I THOUGHT Rafa was underestimating the opposition and the tradition of the FA Cup . At half time i was CONVINCED .

Well, live and learn Rafa ,and welcome to the FA Cup. I felt sorry for the first teamers who had to try and put together a performance against a fired up team who were more than able to take on our "kids" .

Can understand the many reasons why Rafa decided to play this line up bt as the saying goes "If you're serious about winning a competition ,field you best eleven or don't bother entering to start with"

:angry:

Just to REITERATE .If you read my original post I'm not in anyway shape or form calling for Rafa's head .
He is in my opinion the best mgr we've had since Bob Paisley .
All I'm trying to point out is that on this occaision if we have to point a finger ,instead of dumping on the players there are times when the managers decisions have to be questioned .
Put simply Rafa perhaps didn't appreciate the bananna skin that is the FA Cup and consequently fielded a second string team that wasn't up to the task.
Perhaps he was indeed (as some have suggested ) not that concerned with our progress in the FA CUP prefering instead to concentrate on saving our strength for the chase for 4th place in the league and the bonus that brings us next season. Fair enough , but that doesn't make it any easier for those of us that have to walk into work tomorrow . It may be easy for those foreign fans to live with but here in England believe me we are going to be a fking laughing stock .
Pride and Passion ?
Our pride has just been pis'sed on and our passion is what is making us bleed .
:down:

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby mistyred » Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:27 am

Spoken with conviction once again Woof Woof.

Walk On
ImageImageImage
mistyred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:57 am

as far as i am concerened, you play your strongest team every game, it does not matter who you are playing. we have been badly let down tonight by both the manager and the players. and as for traore, i hope the next liverpool shirt that clown pulls on is baro's as milan runs past him when traore is playing for whichever side is stupid enough to buy him. what was he thinking   :angry:
112-1077774096

Postby 112-1077774096 » Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:20 am

blame it on the boogie
112-1077774096

Postby mrcool2003 » Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:22 am

this is sort of off topic but did you hear the joke?

dudek got knocked down by a bus this morning, dont worry the bus went under him lol u gotta laugh

and traore there was no need to do a bloody zidane turn in the 6 yard box lol
mrcool2003
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jymbojetset » Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:55 am

Been reading everyones posts and agree with most.

In my view last night - it was the senior players who were wanting last night - Biscan in particular. Apart from his "attempt" at goal, there was one point at which he lost the ball (my daughter as more passion for Liverpool than he does and she is 9) and didn't chase back for it.

If you don't care about Liverpool then **** off back home. Look at Baros when he came on - can't fault his effort and commitment.

One final thought. Consider the state of the pitch last night, against a championship side - would you have risked your any of your best 11 getting injured?
jymbojetset
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Raoul » Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:57 am

I'm living in China, and they show the FA Cup, but no interest at all in the Carling Cup.  I'm sure Rafa knows what the FA Cup means, and for sure that'll be brought home to him all over again this week...

BUT

...for all the tradition and glory of the thing - what sort of team would he have played if winning it meant CL next season?  Money is king now, and Rafa had to make a long term decision.  Kinda takes the colour out of it all don't it?

FWIW some posters here say that the race for 4th is all wrapped up, and the also rans Everton, Boro, etc, etc, can be ignored.  Hope those aren't the same people saying that we shouldn't have treated Burnley with such disrepect...
Raoul
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:07 am

Face it tradition fans, the FA cup has long lost its lustre.

Man UTD drew at home to Exeter, remember, and while that result was hugely embarassing to UTD, that and a lot of other results in the FA Cup in recent years prove that the FA Cup is now a far bigger deal for the smaller clubs than it is for many Premiership sides.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Leonmc0708 » Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:08 am

woof woof ! wrote:I felt sorry for the first teamers who had to try and put together a performance against a fired up team who were more than able to take on our "kids" .

You are joking right?

I personally felt sorry for the younger lads who where badly let down by the inept performances of three experienced players, (Biscan, Hyypia and Traore) who thought they only needed to show up for a spot of babysitting and let the youngsters do all the work.

Biscan was disgraceful, and has undone all of his previous hard work with a display of ineptitude when he should have really been taking the mantle and showing the young lads who was the boss.

Hyypia was out shone, out classed, out passed and out done by young Zak Whitbread who for my money was outstanding and looked (along with young Raven) the better of our defensive foursome.

Traore simply confirmed what I always knew he would, that he is not good enough. All this rubbish of him being most improved etc was undone against Watford when he was atrocious, Man Utd when he thought he was a winger and didn't need to get back and defend, and last night when his seeminly unending desire to "turn" was comical, and when he "turned" it into his own net, I actually laughed.

These three players need to have a real good look at themselves this morning, and go and apologise to the gaffer for their display, and to the young lads who played superbly.

It was at times embarrasing how bad those three where.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:15 am

A.B. wrote:Ffs I never want to see Potter,Raven,Walsh,etc... play again.  It was horrible to watch. No passion what so ever.

Your lack of football knowledge at times beggars beleif.

Potter is a good player, and was played out of position last night.

Raven is an excellent prospect, made some good tackles last night and has captained his country at all levels. You do not do that if you are such a bad player.

Walsh, I take it you mean Welsh, is too small to ever truly make the grade at the top level, but is no worse than Danny Murphy.

Go support someone else, you lack of respect for forum memebers, and lack of knowledge is tedious.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby FrankM » Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:18 am

Totally agree Leon.

The young lads may not have been good enough on the night but at least you cant fault them for effort.

Thought Whitbread and Raven did well. Potter too. Welsh IMo was probable the least effective.

As for Traore, Biscan, Nunez, well my feelings would only be printed as *s.

Get rid now. Theres still 12 days left. RM really saw us coming with the Nunez deal. I reckon they got Owen for nothing.
FrankM

Postby bigmick » Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:20 am

Absolutely spot on in my view Leon. It was significant that Henchoz didn't play last night, he has taken his 'babysitting' role seriously and has been magnificent with the young lads.
Hyppia has played a lot better but personally, if we were going to put out a scratch side I would have played Pelligrino.
Biscan was absolutely terrible as you rightly say.
Traore? I've been an advocate but has somebody told him he can play or something? Whats going on? He's got a bit of pace, can tackle and head. As long as he sticks to that and every time he gets the ball he just gives it to the NEAREST Liverpool player and never ever tries to do anything else he's OK. Maybe GH rang him and told him he could be the 'new Jean Tigana' or something. Incredible.
All that said though Leon, amongst the current crop we lack a really outstanding one that all the other kids can gather around. No superstars amongst them I'm afraid.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:27 am

These superstars come along once in a bluemoon though Mick.

Over the last ten years, I could probably give you four, Gerrard, Owen, Rooney and Defoe.

It is the players who are maybe good enough who you need to give the chance to prove they can do it.

I SKY+'d the game last night and watched it when I got in. Stevie Heighway himself said that most Academy managers will never be lucky enough to help mould one player of that calibre, and he has been able to get involved with two.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:39 am

I thought Whitbread looked solid if predictably impetuous in the challenge on occasions. His distribution looked sound. Potter provided the one real piece of quality from the young lads all night when he slipped the ball past the guy in midfield and reversed it inside the left-full back. the ball just went out but the vision was a classy piece of work. I was just generally frustrated by a lack of ambition and determination amongst the young lads to propel themselves to the forefront of the managers thoughts. "He's given me a real problem now but it's a lovely problem to have" etc etc. I don't know what it is in Spanish but I can't see Rafa saying it this morning.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Boocity » Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:43 am

Totally agree with Leon.

Biscan was an absolute disgrace, he could'nt tackle, he could'nt pass, in fact most of the time you did'nt even know he was on the pitch, and as for his so called shot, I would'nt call that an attempt on goal. :angry:  :angry:  :angry:
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion