SUNDERLAND VS LIVERPOOL - Season opener Saturday 17.30pm ko

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby JC_81 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:42 pm

I reckon the sooner we put tonight's performance to the back of our minds the better, what do you think?

Looking forward to this one, not least because I've recently relocated to Sunderland with my job and have got tickets to the game.  Unfortunately in the mackems end, but hey ho, I'll not wear colours and keep my head down.  Anyone else going by the way?  Will probably head out for a few beers before and after game.

I think we'll stick with the same team as tonight, except I have a feeling Gerrard will come in for Keane.  Away game, first of the season, typical Benitez will want to keep it tight, so I reckon no Keane-Torres partnership for this one.

I still fancy us to do it though, 2-1 is my prediction.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby OneHotRed » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:50 pm

Im scared - Sunderland will and do play like standard did, kicking us up in the air, making up for lack of skill / quality by running more (Kuyt anyone)

This should be a no brainer but after tonight i must admit im worried about teams that kick us in the air.

1-1 or 0-0 we wont loose this one

p.s I hope im wrong and we stuff em 5-0
OneHotRed
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Simari » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:48 pm

An away win, however we get it - would be a nice change to season start.  Will do wonders to wash away the stinking memories from tonight.  :laugh:
Simari
LFC Super Member

Postby Scottbot » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:00 am

Am sure Keane will have loved the beating our lads took this evening and will have his lads come out and try to deliver a similar beating. Seems strange to say it but I actually think we'll get more protection from the referee for this game. I'd expect to see Stevie come in for Plessis for this one. My father in law (to be) and mrs are both Sunderland fans so I get all the Mackem news. Good for us that jones is not fit plus I believe Chopra is banned so they will probably start with Daryl Murphy up front and Diouf out wide-right. I fancy us to win it 1-0 with Torres getting the goal.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:03 am

This summer they've brought in a few good quality players - by their standards anyway. Malbranque is a marked step up in quality, Chimbonda is a major improvement at RB, and Tainio is a good quality midfielder. They'll be well up for it, it'll be a full house, and Keane will have them revved up.

We played them early doors last season, well deserving our win, so they'll want to make it much more difficult this time round. They'll have seen the game tonight, and they'll be aware that the route to success is to be well organised and dominate physically. I'd be tempted to bring in Hyypia for this one given the performances of Agger and Dossena, and our shakiness at set-pieces in tonights game.

It depends on how everyone reacts in training too, which isn't something we can gauge.
LFC2007

Postby Rush Job » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:39 am

I'd put Sami in too, that said it'll be a completely different game, our problem tonight was with Alonso and Plessis in the middle (and fk all wide) the space between midfield and attack was once again to big which forced us long way to often, we all know how Alonso finds it hard to influence the game offensively when he's being actively pressed and we seen it again tonight resulting in absolutely no service for the front two, by the time he's in the business end the oppo have everyone back, they new stop Alonso stop Liverpool but saturday will be much different because we'll have another player between him and attack and you know every time SG gets the ball he'll be looking for Torres and Keane, he'll be the link between Alonso and the front two something we missed tonight. We really need another creative/attacking option, that Polish lad would do but i'd still prefer Barry because he would add something we're missing in the middle and on the left, we have quality forwards we just have to give them the ball.
Last edited by Rush Job on Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dont judge a book by the cover, unless you cover just another, because blind exceptance is a sign,
Of stupid fools who stand in line......  Like..
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:57 am

If we play like that we can forget it...im sorry but everything we done tonight was appauling.
From schoolboy defending errors to lack of invention in MF and total failure from the whole team to bring forwards into play..it was an absolute disgrace to LFC and the shirt from everyone that pulled it on.
Im trying to stay upbeat here but after that display of cr@p i worry that there is absolutely NO PASSION in this squad and they are falling into the mould of pre concepted robots that can only play the way they are programmed and fail to adapt to anything that they do not expect!
Whether it be physical competition or skill on the wing it seems our team is only concerned with keeping shape and way too focused on discipline to an extent that it is an obsesession.When the :censored: was LFC ever more concerned about conceeding a goal to a team like that than focused on scoring??NEVER!
That was an absolute disgrace tonight and anyone that says otherwise is an idiot.
Sunderland at the weekend?They will have more passion and a will to win in their co,cks than that team of chocoltae makers...SORT IT OUT RAFA OR FU<CK OFF!!
The more you watch replay of the game the angrier you get! :angry: :angry: :angry:
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:30 am

sunderland will punish us if we play the same way again. they have brought in some good team players and ones like malbranque do perform against us. they also have diouf whom would relish playing us. and jones who is pretty good in the air, at least when compared to our defenders bar sammi.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Owzat » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:18 am

I thought we might sneak this one - before last night's performance. Now I'm not so sure. I think the system is letting the side down, trying to create from areas that aren't suited to creating. I'm glad Alonso played last night, means he likely won't leave since the only teams that can afford him will likely be in CL (and he's cup tied) But I seriously doubted, and still do, that he, Benayoun, Kuyt, Plessis, Dossena and Arbeloa are going to be the creativity we need. Add that to the godawful defensive system Rafa employs and we looked like we were going to leak goals and not score, the traits of relegation sides.

I'm hoping one or two changes will bring about a 1-0 win, the absence of only a few players highlighted how thin our squad is in quality.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:29 am

I'm going on Saturday and despite last nights shocking display I fully expect us to get a kick up the ar$e and beat Sunderland. Yes they've brought in some decent players but their main striker is out (Jones) and they've lost their best defender (Evans) back to Man United. For me it's just a shame Babel isn't available becuse he'd have ripped Chimbonda to shreds imo.

It's vital that we score early and quieten the crowd down. Let them get on a roll and it can be a bit of an intimidating atmosphere at the Stadium of Light.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:56 pm

stmichael wrote:For me it's just a shame Babel isn't available becuse he'd have ripped Chimbonda to shreds imo.

Can't agree about Babel.

I've never seen him rip anyone apart.. ever!
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby Owzat » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:00 pm

Ola Mr Benitez wrote:
stmichael wrote:For me it's just a shame Babel isn't available becuse he'd have ripped Chimbonda to shreds imo.

Can't agree about Babel.

I've never seen him rip anyone apart.. ever!

Didn't he against Arsenal in the CL second leg?
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 109-1218458338 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:25 pm

i sure hope we win it, i can see a strikerless sunderland playing for the draw even at home and i can see us struggling. we had a full team as far as possible out last night and looked shocking.:veryangry

it should be a kick up the behind for us but we MUST react the right way and paste sunderland.

otherwise it's another year of hurt i'm afraid. Good sides react positively. COME ON YOU REDS!!! 3-0, 3-0!!!  :wwww
109-1218458338

Postby Greavesie » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:02 pm

Im going to this one, cant wait. I think the team will have taken a good kick up the @rse and go for a win. Sunderland beat Tottenham first game last season so I'm a bit wary going into this one. I reckon Gerrard will come in for Plessis, it's vital those two are in the middle esp with Masch being away (I hope Holland beat the Argies at the Olympics :D )

My heart says a 1:0 win, head says 0:0

COME ON YOU REDS!
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby The Manhattan Project » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:23 pm

We will win.

Sudetenland will lose.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113