Arbeloa             Carra               Agger               Dossena

Alonso              Plessis

Kuyt                        Gerrard                          Keane

Torres

Spot on mate - thats what i want to see at sunderland
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:25 pm

Kuyt, Alonso, Plessis and Benayoun. Hardly a midfield packed with attacking know how I just hope Gerrard starts inplace of one of them. As we saw against Liege our midfield couldnt even put their foot on the ball and get a bit of composure amongst them, the ball was more like a hot potatoe. Especially when under a bit of pressure and our defenders were playing hoof ball.

All that will suit Sunderland down to a Tee and they'll take note from that, husle our midfield and we'll play aimless long balls upto Torres and Keane. I'm sure being the big lanky fella Niall Quinn is, he'll have a word with Roy Keane about throwing a few long balls into our box, as we certainly look very vunrable from corners and set-pieces.

Unless Gerrard or Torres pull a rabbit out of the hat which in itself is still a worry that we have to rely on our two best players than as a team.  I can  see a 1-1 draw being the outcome of this one. Hope I'm wrong but that performance against Liege hasnt instilled me with much confidence for this match.

I also would like to see Gerrard start in the middle, probably in place of Plessis. Just to add creativity, composure and a bit more steel  in this part of the field, and play Torres and Keane upfront together.
Last edited by 66-1112520797 on Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
66-1112520797

Postby Almighty Red » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:32 pm

OneHotRed wrote:Im scared - Sunderland will and do play like standard did, kicking us up in the air, making up for lack of skill / quality by running more (Kuyt anyone)

This should be a no brainer but after tonight i must admit im worried about teams that kick us in the air.

1-1 or 0-0 we wont loose this one

p.s I hope im wrong and we stuff em 5-0

Can you really imagine El Hadji Diouf doing a great deal of running when it isn't absolutely necessary?
Almighty Red

Postby bunglemark2 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:53 pm

Bamaga man wrote:Kuyt, Alonso, Plessis and Benayoun. Hardly a midfield packed with attacking know how I just hope Gerrard starts inplace of one of them. As we saw against Liege our midfield couldnt even put their foot on the ball and get a bit of composure amongst them, the ball was more like a hot potatoe. Especially when under a bit of pressure and our defenders were playing hoof ball.

All that will suit Sunderland down to a Tee and they'll take note from that, husle our midfield and we'll play aimless long balls upto Torres and Keane. I'm sure being the big lanky fella Niall Quinn is, he'll have a word with Roy Keane about throwing a few long balls into our box, as we certainly look very vunrable from corners and set-pieces.

Unless Gerrard or Torres pull a rabbit out of the hat which in itself is still a worry that we have to rely on our two best players than as a team.  I can  see a 1-1 draw being the outcome of this one. Hope I'm wrong but that performance against Liege hasnt instilled me with much confidence for this match.

I also would like to see Gerrard start in the middle, probably in place of Plessis. Just to add creativity, composure and a bit more steel  in this part of the field, and play Torres and Keane upfront together.

Just this afternoon I read on Football365 that Gerrard will be fit for Saturday....wonder "how" fit though...
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby Fo Dne » Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:11 pm

europian-kings wrote:.                                Reina

Torres

Yeah totally, I mean, sign a £20m striker and play him on the wing.

Play the best box to box midfielder in world football upfront, play a :censored: striker out wide aswell....

Great idea. Thank :censored: you aren't the manager.
Fo Dne
LFC Super Member

Postby 66-1112520797 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:15 pm

Fo Dne wrote:

Torres

Play the best box to box midfielder in world football upfront, play a :censored: striker out wide aswell....

But Keane wouldnt play on the wing would he Stu, Remember formations mean feck all.

You've just totally contridicted yourself there lad.
66-1112520797

Postby GYBS » Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:16 pm

Fo Dne wrote:

Torres

Do you mean the same box to box midfilder who playe din that same position last year and was outstanding ?

and do you mean playing keane in wider area looking to him to create (not a winger )

Playing the same striker out on the right wide areas who showed to be a great success there last year for both club and ocuntry

yeah you know your stuff .  :sleepy:
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby burjennio » Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:41 pm

Dont think this will be as hard a game as some people think; repeat of last year, 2-0 only without Momo Sisokko scoring the most suprising landmark goal in the clubs history  :) - maybe a 1st for Robbie keane and a peno from Gerrard after some Sunderland bobo sythes down Nando after he sends him for fags about 6 or 7 times :)
burjennio

Postby Zarzius » Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:43 pm

2 or 3-0 for Liverpool:;):
At least, thats my prediction.. Keane will score his 1st goal early, and Torres will also get 1 or 2 in:cool:
Zarzius

Postby Roger Red Hat » Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:52 pm

i've got a feeling we're gonna fking enhilalate sunderland.
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:44 pm

keane on the left ?
seriously ?
total waste of money imo if Rafa plays him there consistently this season. Im sure if Rafa wanted a left winger ( be it a creative one or whatever some on here are on about ; afterall a winger is a winger and Keane is not one) we could have spent the 20 mill on much better options.
If gerrard doesnt start , basically i think we'll be poor and would be very lucky to win it.
My starting lineup would be

Reina
Arbeloa          Carragher            Agger        Dossena

Kuyt             Gerrard                Alonso         Benayoun

Keane            Torres

All the positional interchanging and all that can happen in the game if Rafa allows the players a little more freedom. especially the 4 attacking options we have (Benayoun, Kuyt, Keane and Torres) with Gerrard coming in late from behind. I think this looks like our best formation for this season as things stand. Mascherano and Babel coming in for Alonso and Benayoun when they are back from the olympics and we are good to go imo. Our main problem is that we dont have a player who can stand on the ball or even run and fullbacks and pick out a good pass from the wider positions. Benayoun does that sometimes but is far too inconsistent to be considered a regular in a title challenging starting 11. Babel needs to step up and if he does he can be a real threat down the left flank. Pennant has good ability and if he's given a run in the first team i think he can do a job for us.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:15 pm

Lee J wrote:i've got a feeling we're gonna fking enhilalate sunderland.

I wish i felt like that! :D
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:04 pm

john craig wrote:I reckon the sooner we put tonight's performance to the back of our minds the better, what do you think?

Looking forward to this one, not least because I've recently relocated to Sunderland with my job and have got tickets to the game.  Unfortunately in the mackems end, but hey ho, I'll not wear colours and keep my head down.  Anyone else going by the way?  Will probably head out for a few beers before and after game.

I think we'll stick with the same team as tonight, except I have a feeling Gerrard will come in for Keane.  Away game, first of the season, typical Benitez will want to keep it tight, so I reckon no Keane-Torres partnership for this one.

I still fancy us to do it though, 2-1 is my prediction.

You'll be as right as rain mate. I wen to the corresponding fixture last season where we won 2-0, and all we heard on the 2 mile walk back to the car was how they wanted us to win the league, and that we were brilliant, etc, etc.

Lovely bunch of folks up there. :nod

As for the game - let's get off to a flying start for once, eh lads?

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:06 pm

I think we will be and i hope so be a different team looking to take out our frustration on sunderland . The performance against standard was abysmal but the players need to put that game behind them and concentrate fully on this game . I'd go for a team with a couple of changes .

Reina

Carragher           Agger         Hypia/skrtel              Dossena

Pennant             Alonso        Gerrard                     Ngog

Torres        Keane

I think pennant deserves a run in the side and so does ngog , he has impressed during the pre season and i'd like to see him play in a completive match . Pennant in for kuyt , as i think we need extra width and pennant can provide that , we need a early goal to get the confidence and if we get that , i think we will win comfortably by 3 or 4 goals . Carragher at right back , as arbeloa is average at best and defensive wise he's :censored: a stop gap at best . He's not going to do too well if they pump long balls into our box . Agger is defensively sound and skrtel and hypia are aerially good , if hypia starts , even though he has a lack of pace , agger can make up for that . We need to avoid another slow start to the season and we have to win this game , as i can see chelsea , arsenal winning theirs and we need to be keeping up with them from the start of the season . Manu might struggle as without ronaldo they were rather toothless against portsmouth , so i see them struggling against newcastle , who could get something out of this game .
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion