SUNDERLAND VS LIVERPOOL - Season opener Saturday 17.30pm ko

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby OneHotRed » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:33 pm

Alonso awarded man of the Match buy TV - after coming on second half! He really did play so well - If people dont close him down instantly (which the better teams do unfortunatly) he really is awesome
OneHotRed
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby only me » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:35 pm

What i take from this game as well as from the Champions league qualifier is that nothing changed for us ,benitz bought the wrong players in the wrong positions and i just don't see us doing better this season.

Needed good attacking defenders we are still stuck with arebeloa ,need a creative midfield and wingers and still we are with the same solid conservative players ,which are good for getting a cup result but not a premiership contenders.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby LiverpoolMadman » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:40 pm

Hope that Rafa will buy 2 wingers (18M + 10M (Kuyt) + 8M (AV) = 36M) before the 2nd match at home
LiverpoolMadman

Postby account deleted by request » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:41 pm

OneHotRed wrote:Alonso awarded man of the Match buy TV - after coming on second half! He really did play so well - If people dont close him down instantly (which the better teams do unfortunatly) he really is awesome

To be fair to Alonso he also played well defensively today, put in a good shift tackling and covering which I haven't seen from him for a while. 

Torres and Keane just never looked like working today, whith both struggling to get a kick of the ball. Torres seemed to have more space once Keane went off, even though Kuyt moved into the centre.

Dossena had a very poor first half , but I thought he played well second half.
account deleted by request

Postby Emerald Red » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:42 pm

These match threads are a laugh. I've not read the whole thread since the match started, but scanned through a page or two several pages back. Some quality opinions going about like Dossena is sh*t having played one match in the league, but he's sh*t apparently. Cracker.

Flicking to the last page and it's happy days and we're on a roll seeing Torres banged one in to give us the three points. Funny how opinions can change. Hmm. I missed that goal, by the way, due to arguing with my brother who was talking complete sh*te about how Rafa needs the sack, and how the league is over if we draw. Sounds familiar.

Fact is this: Sunderland away on the first game of the season was never going to be easy. We were never going to play flowing, attractive football, and we were never going to batter them. Their fans were up for it, their team was up for it. Any of the other top 4 would have struggled in their performance, but at the end of the day, if you get the three points, then who gives a f*ck how it's done so long as it's done. Rant over!
Last edited by Emerald Red on Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mart » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:42 pm

LiverpoolMadman wrote:Hope that Rafa will buy 2 wingers (18M + 10M (Kuyt) + 8M (AV) = 36M) before the 2nd match at home

That would be great, but unlikely.
mart
LFC Super Member

Postby ruskiy playmaker » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:44 pm

Today's game is further proof of why we need to keep Alonso.  He immediately changed the tempo of the game once he came on.  We started to look like a team again.  I'd say that he's by far the most intelligent midfielder in our team and we would be crazy to sell him now.
[img]http://i42.tinypic.com/lkw42.gif[img]
ruskiy playmaker

Postby Toffeehater » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:44 pm

Special praise to dossena , i thought he was good in the second half , marked malbranque well , i think his confidence is rising and its his first game in the premier league , he did well defending but needs to be faster and more critical in his crossing against boro . On the plus we will have babel back and i hope we have maschearno back as well if argentina lose to brazil
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby shakey » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:45 pm

Hard 3 points won away from home,got to be happy with that :)
Obviously some improvement needed but hey.
Those are the sort of games we would draw last season!!
shakey

Postby ruskiy playmaker » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:45 pm

Emerald Red wrote:These match threads are a laugh. I've not read the whole thread since the match started, but scanned through a page or two several pages back. Some quality opinions going about like Dossena is sh*t having played on match in the league, but he's sh*t apparently. Cracker.

Flicking to the last page and it's happy days and we're on a roll seeing Torres banged one in to give us the three points. Funny how opinions can change. Hmm. I missed that goal, by the way, due to arguing with my brother who was talking complete sh*te about how Rafa needs the sack, and how the league is over if we draw. Sounds familiar.

Fact is this: Sunderland away on the first game of the season was never going to be easy. We were never going to play flowing, attractive football, and we were never going to batter them. Their fans were up for it, their team was up for it. Any of the other top 4 would have struggled in their performance, but at the end of the day, if you get the three points, then who gives a f*ck how it's done so long as it's done. Rant over!

:buttrock
[img]http://i42.tinypic.com/lkw42.gif[img]
ruskiy playmaker

Postby metalhead » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:47 pm

s@int wrote:Dossena had a very poor first half , but I thought he played well second half.

Agreed, did really well in the second half, bombed forward and defended well.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:47 pm

shakey wrote:Hard 3 points won away from home,got to be happy with that :)
Obviously some improvement needed but hey.
Those are the sort of games we would draw last season!!

We said that last season after the Villa match  :D
account deleted by request

Postby mart » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:51 pm

ruskiy playmaker wrote:Today's game is further proof of why we need to keep Alonso.  He immediately changed the tempo of the game once he came on.  We started to look like a team again.  I'd say that he's by far the most intelligent midfielder in our team and we would be crazy to sell him now.

Unfortunately we have so many good central midfielders. Imo the best would be to have alonso and masch in the central midfield and push gerrard out to the right and then drop kuyt. But unfortunately i think alonso will be dropped in favour of Gerrard in the middle and then we have kuyt as our next best thing on the right. And alonso is too good to sit on the bench.
mart
LFC Super Member

Postby Number 9 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:52 pm

Can we see the goal??
:D
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:54 pm

Thank god we got Nando  :D

The rest of my weekend can go okay now! Alonso showed his class when he came on and passed the ball forward a lot instead of sideways which we were doing a lot of in the first half. I think the fact that Agger didn't start says a lot about what Rafa thought about him in pre season. Hyypia played well and is good cover especially for this type of game.

3 points is 3 points and today that is what we have. I can only imagine what this place would have been like if Nando hadn't banged that in. Roll on Boro next week
Last edited by Dundalk on Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion