SUNDERLAND VS LIVERPOOL - Season opener Saturday 17.30pm ko

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Greavesie » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:26 pm

We will win.

Sudetenland will lose.

:laugh:
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Rush Job » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:35 pm

stmichael wrote:I'm going on Saturday and despite last nights shocking display I fully expect us to get a kick up the ar$e and beat Sunderland. Yes they've brought in some decent players but their main striker is out (Jones) and they've lost their best defender (Evans) back to Man United. For me it's just a shame Babel isn't available becuse he'd have ripped Chimbonda to shreds imo.

It's vital that we score early and quieten the crowd down. Let them get on a roll and it can be a bit of an intimidating atmosphere at the Stadium of Light.

I seen an interesting stat about prem noise levels ground to ground, Sunderland were up the top, where were we? 5th from bottom. We need to create a better atmosphere at home in the league, you can feel the tension grow as the game drags on without a goal. Its chicken and egg like but it must rub off on the players, look at the difference a great CL atmos can make.
Dont judge a book by the cover, unless you cover just another, because blind exceptance is a sign,
Of stupid fools who stand in line......  Like..
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:54 pm

Sunderland have spent almost as much as we have NET so far this season

Villa 31.5
Citeh 18.5
Liverpool 17.3
Fulham 16.8
Sunderland 16.5
Chelsea 15.7
Bolton 12.5
Stoke 8.5
Arsenal 8
Newcastle 6.6
Wigan 6
Hull 3.8
Everton 3.5
Pompey 2.3
Spuds 1.2
Man Utd -1
West Ham -2.3
Boro -3.3
Everton -10.5
Blackburn -13.5

Ripped from TLW

I think we need to consolidate after our last game, I would bring Hyypia into the defense if Sunderland have any of their big strikers fit (Jones?) maybe moving Carra out to right back.

Hopefully Gerrard will be able to play the full game (or at least until we are leading comfortably)

I think we can win this one 2-0 maybe 3-0 if we get an early goal.
account deleted by request

Postby Rush Job » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:09 am

s@int wrote:Sunderland have spent almost as much as we have NET so far this season

Villa 31.5
Citeh 18.5
Liverpool 17.3
Fulham 16.8
Sunderland 16.5
Chelsea 15.7
Bolton 12.5
Stoke 8.5
Arsenal 8
Newcastle 6.6
Wigan 6
Hull 3.8
Everton 3.5
Pompey 2.3
Spuds 1.2
Man Utd -1
West Ham -2.3
Boro -3.3
Everton -10.5
Blackburn -13.5

Ripped from TLW

I think we need to consolidate after our last game, I would bring Hyypia into the defense if Sunderland have any of their big strikers fit (Jones?) maybe moving Carra out to right back.

Hopefully Gerrard will be able to play the full game (or at least until we are leading comfortably)

I think we can win this one 2-0 maybe 3-0 if we get an early goal.

Brave man you s@int :D  Hope your right, if we score first we should settle down and play our game, but....
Dont judge a book by the cover, unless you cover just another, because blind exceptance is a sign,
Of stupid fools who stand in line......  Like..
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Jimmymac » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:20 am

can honestly see this being a different thing all together from last nights, comfortable win for me. We didnt know what to expect with standard, rafa said himself that they didnt have much in the way of videos to watch and that with a new manager they couldnt be sure. We all know how he loves to analyse everything he can about a team first. He'll know whats coming with sunderland and set us up right. Add to that the players will be utterly fired up to at least go some way to rectify the shocking match prior.

win by at least 2 goals for me
Jimmymac

Postby tonyeh » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:39 am

I think Liverpool should use a simpler and thicker formation like 4-4-2. Whtever formation they used last night leaves the midfield way too open. Teams have no problem waltzing through it. I know we'll stiil be weak on the wings though, but at least there'll be some support.

I hope Gerrard can play. A worry will still be the back four.

I'm nervous.....Rafa should be too.

I really hope they have learned, not just from last night, but from the Lazio game and the summer friendlies.

Tony
Last edited by tonyeh on Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
tonyeh

Postby Effes » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:53 am

This will be a tough one.

I hope Gerrard is fit enough to start, we'll be OK if that's the case.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:16 am

s@int wrote:Sunderland have spent almost as much as we have NET so far this season

Villa 31.5
Citeh 18.5
Liverpool 17.3
Fulham 16.8
Sunderland 16.5

But we started with a much better squad, and while they might have picked up one or two experience players from other clubs, they've not exactly bought players of that high a quality. They've spent lots, signed a few decent players but nothing that I'd be worried about. Unwanted spudz players, one of our ex-players and not a lot worth a change of underwear over.

2-0 or 3-0 is an optimistic shout, I'd settle for 1-0 even though I can't stand the tension of them.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:11 am

tonyeh wrote:I think Liverpool should use a simpler and thicker formation like 4-4-2. Whtever formation they used last night leaves the midfield way too open. Teams have no problem waltzing through it. I know we'll stiil be weak on the wings though, but at least there'll be some support.

I hope Gerrard can play. A worry will still be the back four.

I'm nervous.....Rafa should be too.

I really hope they have learned, not just from last night, but from the Lazio game and the summer friendlies.

Tony

Didnt we play 4-4-2 on wed night ? im hoping we play 4-2-3-1 with gerrard coming in to replace yossi and keane moving out left - gerrard in the centre would add a bit more steal there and help out plessis and xabi.
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LOVERPOOL » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:15 am

1-0 Liverpool. Have to play 4-4-2.
''   
We ought to die before we let the fire out...
                                                               ''

(we probably gonna die /- :)
LOVERPOOL

Postby GYBS » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:19 am

why do we have to play 4-4-2 ? hard to play that way with no real option on the left ?
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:25 am

when it come out that this was our firts game I was happy with it, but going by what happened the over night i am now not too sure.
If thee is one team that will play rought right at the start its SUNDERLAND.

we took a butt kicking the other nigt and we needs a easy slow paced game for you to build on the formation of the team, we are not going to get it here.

we will be too strong in the end and i have this one as a 1-2 win for us.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rockthekop » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:46 am

Nothing less than a win is good enough against teams like Sunderland.  We had far too many draws against teams in the bottom half of the table last season, it simply isn't good enough.  Rafa is under serious pressure this season to mount a title challenge, if he doesn't he has to go.
Rockthekop

Postby redsince2001 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:51 am

1-1
"we were a family club. There was no ‘them and us’ attitude, it was just ‘us’. "-Kenny Daglish
redsince2001
LFC Super Member

Postby Dundalk » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:53 am

A good win? - Ill take any win at this stage :D
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion