SUNDERLAND VS LIVERPOOL - 12:45 kick off

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Owzat » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:12 am

I feel sorry for Sunderland fans, the club has spent a lot of money and no disrespect but it looks like a championship side - and I don't mean a team bound for the league title. Gordon looks a useful keeper but you can get useful keepers for a lot less than was paid for him. McShane is a manc cast-off and can't have played much top flight football. Maybe Keane signed the wrong buggie defender! Halford couldn't even get in the Reading team - and he was their record signing. Chopra looks handy but again lacks top flight experience. Richardson is another manc cast-off and a quite expensive one at that. Murphy and Connolly will do a good job in the lower leagues, not convinced they'll score many in this league and with the supporting cast. Yorke is YET another manc cast-off and well past his best before date, most of the rest look short of class at this level as well. Wallace might be an exception, sorry to say but that side looks good enough to get promotion and you've already achieved that. I think Sunderland may struggle to pick up points against most teams, maybe the odd cup shock type result and some scrappy wins, but I don't foresee this team staying up comfortably which it should for the money spent. Keep that side for next season cause you might need it

And that should put the result in perspective
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby MightyLFC » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:05 am

Has carra got a puncherd lung ?
MightyLFC

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:21 am

MightyLFC wrote:Has carra got a puncherd lung ?

yes he does and the mods might give u one too soon if u keep posting stuff like that.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby 66-1112520797 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:35 am

Sabre wrote:The last 3 posts of BM, BB, and SB have been good, I wish I could put my thoughts that way. :)

For me, it's like the Pennant situation all over again.  At this time last season it was clear that Jermaine had a great touch, some lovely dribbling skills and a nice shape to his crossing but he seemed hesitant and his decision making was poor at times.  As his confidence grew and as he got to know the game of his teammates, though, he's grown into quite a player for us.  I think that's what we can expect from Babel.

Pennant has grown a lot in confidence, and I defended him when he was heavily questioned. Now he's much more settled I have a "but" in his game. He has the ability to dribble and run with the ball, but sometimes he abuses of it, sometimes he should release the ball earlier, I dunno if you lot agree.

Two things, firstly Bad Bob said perfectly what I feel about Babel and the comparisons with Pennant, they are a mirror image IMO. So Babel I think will take time to settle in and seen as he's from abroad and young we should be patient with him, as he does show quality in glimpses, and with confidence growing, I'm sure his quality will be more visually abundant once he gets going.

I also agree with Sabre that sometimes Pennant doesnt release the ball at the right time. Sometimes he holds on when a teamate has made a very good run and is looking for the pass. I think its probably a combination of his Decision making and awareness, or lack of it. He does run with the ball alot and in that respect tends to do a bit of a 'Milan Baros' head down and running full pelt.
That wouldnt be my main critisism of Jermaine .... What is, is his lack of goals/shots on goal. He could be slightly more direct at times and look to notch up a decent goal tally.

But to be fair, I wasnt to impressed with him last year and probably voiced it on here. But now I find myself putting on a fair bit of weight due to the amount of humble pie I'm swallowing, he's played well for me this year, he's now got the workrate, the confidence and the ability to be a thorn in the oppositions side, and for that I take my hat off to him ... Keep up the good work Jermaine.   :buttrock
Last edited by 66-1112520797 on Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
66-1112520797

Postby bigmick » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:39 am

Yes there's no question that Pennat is playing the best football of his career at the moment. Two things however slightly concern me. Firstly, his reluctance to come off his touchline when the ball is on the opposite flank. Particularly when Riise is playing, there is always the likelyhood that the Norweegian will have a crack and you aren't going to follow up rebounds or pick up any scraps while you're stuck out on the opposite touchline. A bit too much comfort zone there for me.

The second thing is his attitude. He has flared up in a couple of games already and as we've already seen in our game against Chelsea and in the Mancs game against Spurs yesterday, the powers that be are doing all in their power to maintain the Man U/Chelsea stanglehold. If he pulls a stunt like that at Old Trafford the ref will rip his pocket off in his haste to get the red card out. It might just cost us the title and Rafa needs to get him sorted. It was interesting against Chelsea that in the middle of his outburst Carra was straight over telling him to calm the feck down. As time goes on and if we stay in the race, we don't want to give the refs any excuses to derail us, because the feckers will alright if we give them a chance.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedBlood » Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:37 pm

destro wrote:Does anyone else feel that it was maybe more down to poor finishing than good goal keeping that kept the score down yesterday, I don't want to take to much away from Brown but I think that all the shots from both Torres and Voronin ( including the goal ) were hit at him, yes he has to be there to get his body in the way, make himself big and all that, but maybe with a bit more composure in front of goal he wouldn't of had the chance.

Am I being a bit harsh on both our strikers and their goal keeper ?. Its just that I have heard the "Pundits" rave about Browns performance, and I didnt see what I consider to be a great save, you could argue ANY save is great, but the one real test he had ( Voronin goal ) he spilt into the net.

I am not having a go at our strikers, I just don't see what he did that was so special.

Thoughts ?

i agree that all the shots he saved were more or less straight at him but sometimes that can be down to a keepers positional sense more then poor finnishing, id say it was a mixture of the two against sunderland
RedBlood
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:08 pm

Sunderland battled away but in the end the extra class told.

I know its been mentioned that once the Mancs click they will paste a side well I personally think the same can be said of Liverpool aswell. For all the early euphoria of us starting well we arent no way near our full potential yet and that was evident at Sunderland on Saturday. We had too many loose passes and players still getting used to each other.

Once Mascherano is fully fit thats another option there. We have Gerrard to come back into the team as well as possibly Kewell. We also have Torres who is still getting used to the league and getting his goal sharpness. His touch and link up play is excellent and his pace is frightening. If he was a bit more clinical with his finishing he'd be the best Striker in Europe.

Call it rose tinted glasses or not but i think we are ready to give someone a good pasting as our work rate is as high as anyone in the league and once we click God help the team on the receiving end. It could well be Derby next week.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Elchris » Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:30 pm

Yeah thing might get better bar the injuries , and there is rumours liverpool making bid for julio baptista for 12 mp :O
Elchris

Postby Judge » Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:54 pm

man of the match - sunderland keeper

score line shouldve been more
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Roger Red Hat » Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:23 pm

well you cant grumble really, we're matching chelsea for W/D/L (game in hand) - i'd take that !

great goal by voronin, good build up play
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion