SUNDERLAND VS LIVERPOOL - 12:45 kick off

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby LegBarnes » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:56 am

Bamaga man wrote:Fancy that Momo scoring our 7000th goal, and his first for Liverpool :D  What were the odds on that I wonder ?

haha dunno if you seen badbob picked him before game for the 7000th goal i guess he feels a little sick he didnmt ave a few pounds on it good call tho.

Odds how about 7000/1   :eyebrow
LegBarnes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:14 pm

LegBarnes wrote:
Bamaga man wrote:Fancy that Momo scoring our 7000th goal, and his first for Liverpool :D  What were the odds on that I wonder ?

haha dunno if you seen badbob picked him before game for the 7000th goal i guess he feels a little sick he didnmt ave a few pounds on it good call tho.

Odds how about 7000/1   :eyebrow

Yeah probably, I think if he did have a few pounds on it, it would make him a nice little profit changing it back to the Canadian dollar.  :D
66-1112520797

Postby ivor_the_injun » Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:36 pm

66/1 for Momo to score first yesterday, apparently.

Isn't hindsight a b*stard? :laugh:
ivor_the_injun

Postby tubby » Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:46 pm

Goals in HQ posted guys

Sunderland V Liverpool 0-1 Sissoko

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=G65JIJW1

Sunderland V Liverpool 0-2 Voronin

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YRC4W5ES

Full Match Highlights

http://rapidshare.com/files....vi.html

Enjoy
:p
Last edited by tubby on Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:54 pm

ivor_the_injun wrote:66/1 for Momo to score first yesterday, apparently.

Isn't hindsight a b*stard? :laugh:

That's a sickener!  :sniffle

Anyone brave enough to put him down for a hattrick against Derby? :D
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Bad Bob » Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:02 pm

Bamaga man wrote:Yep hands up, I "slag" the rotation methods that Benitez employs, and it paid off for him today.

It was a good result out there at the Stadium of light, but TBH Sunderland didnt look anywhere near as good as us (at times) in terms of quality. Even at 1-0 I couldnt envisage Sunderland coming back into the game like the fortunate Chelsea the week before. But at 1-0 up away from home in th 60th minute or so you still cant help but have that slight feeling that our opponents nick a scrappy goal from somewhere.

I thought the first half was pretty dire from a football 'purest's' point of view. We were guilty in adding to that, with Carra, Finnan and Agger looking to knock it long. It was the stereotypical game that English teams are renound for playing. It left me feeling frustrated at times as we constantly bypassed the midfiled with long ball after longball. Leaving the Voronater and Torres to fight it out for the high balls, and TBH if it wasnt for Momo's excellent strike I couldnt see a goal coming from us in that first half. Although the lead to that goal was probably the best bit of football we played in that half.

Fancy that Momo scoring our 7000th goal, and his first for Liverpool :D  What were the odds on that I wonder ?

Second half we were better and did try and play more football I felt, coupled with the fact we had enough chances to be out of sight, the performance would of looked a lot better. Both Torres and Voronin had there chances to put us in a more comfortable position. Although the Spaniard didnt score and maybe should of, its pleasing enough to see a Liverpool striker get in good goalscoring positions to start with. We may have been punished on another day, and I'd say we may well pay that price over the course of the season in other fixtures but ...

Momo and Alonso played okay together I thought, but we were at times being overrun ? No not overrun but we were being outnumbered, but still I dont think Alonso had that bad a game as some might suggest. He did venture further forward now and again and his lovely little chip over to Torres who was a toe-nail away from clipping it past the promising Goalkeeper Gordon. Thats what we need Alonso to do more of, he did have an attempt in the first half that drifted wide, but again thats would he should do more of. He probably thought the onus was on him a bit more as without Gerrard, he may of felt the need to get forward a bit more and try and make something happen in the final third. Defensively he was his usual consistent self and played the ball around well.

Babel was a little dissapointing, and almost seemed invisible out there at times, while the lad has very good feet, he needs to involve himself more into our play. But as the old cliche goes, Babel I think will need a good season to properly settle and gain his confidence, there is no doubting technically he looks very good. And as we saw with Pennant it came take time to settle, but speaking of Pennant, I thought he was excellent again for us today. A constant thorn in the Black Cats side with his energy and running, he had some nice touches and looked our most likeliest player from whom a goal would come, again second week in the row he gets my MotM.

Arbeloa to impressed me again another player with good feet on the ball, technically a very good player and he maybe a rock for Riise or Aurelio to budge from LB.

All in all happy with the result, decent performance, although we could of paid for not finnishing them off which would be my only concern, plus the injury to Carra of course. :)

Good post. :nod

On Babel, I think he just needs to settle into the rhythm of the English game and then we'll see what he's truly capable of.  He did show some lovely dribbling skills yesterday and we've already seen flashes of his pace/directness and shooting power in earlier cameos.  He has the potential to be quite a handful for us.  Playing on the wing, though, requires a bit of patience but also a willingness to involve yourself, showing for the ball etc.  I think we'll see him demand the ball more as he grows in confidence.

For me, it's like the Pennant situation all over again.  At this time last season it was clear that Jermaine had a great touch, some lovely dribbling skills and a nice shape to his crossing but he seemed hesitant and his decision making was poor at times.  As his confidence grew and as he got to know the game of his teammates, though, he's grown into quite a player for us.  I think that's what we can expect from Babel.

Incidentally, while both have a lovely touch and great dribbling, Babel looks pacier and much more direct than Pennant, with an eye for goal.  Whether he can put in the kinds of crosses from the left that Pennant can from the right, remains to be seen.  At the moment, however, we're not set up as a team looking to pump crosses into the box for our strikers to attack anyway so I'm happy to see Pennant and Babel cutting inside quite a bit, looking to play 1-2s around the edge of the box.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Scottbot » Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:48 pm

All that really mattered was the result and i'm really encouraged to see us win a game that we would have drawn last season. There is no doubt we are not nearly the same team when Stevie is out of the line-up so it's obviously massively important that he has an injury-free season this year.

It was a scrappy game yesterday untill we got the goal but that is often the case with an early-sat kick-off coming off the heels off an international break. I was very impressed with the work of the entire team off the ball. I'm not sure i can remember a game where we pressed so well for the full 90 minutes, the only way a team like Sunderland can beat the likes of LFC is by working harder but we matched them on this front and then some.

Torres was excellent once again and his prescence has changed the whole dynamic of this Liverpool side. We can stretch opposing defences for the first time since Owen, and it gives the likes of Kuyt, Voronin, Pennant and the rest of the midfield that little bit more space to work in. Pennant was superb once again, i've been banging on about him since last January and it's great to see a few more coming round to the idea! Babel has come in for a bit of criticism but patience is required. this lad is a bit of a project, he's still raw, not the finished article like Malouda. Still, he works hard, was involved in the 2nd goal and he gave a little glimpse of the skill he posesses when he teased a couple of Sunderland players on the left touch-line yesterday.

As for the Momo-Xabi partnership in the middle? I'm not sure we would have played any better with Mascherano picked ahead of either of them, it still amounts to the same thing. Stevie Gerrard is the best player at the club by a country mile and we don't look the same side without him. I'm interested to see how Leiva develops as the season progresses. He's supposed to be more of a box-to-box player and from the clips i've seen on the net, he likes to run with the ball.

It's early doors but i am VERY excited about this season. If we can avoid any more big injuries this squad can go a long way.
Last edited by Scottbot on Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:55 pm

The last 3 posts of BM, BB, and SB have been good, I wish I could put my thoughts that way. :)

For me, it's like the Pennant situation all over again.  At this time last season it was clear that Jermaine had a great touch, some lovely dribbling skills and a nice shape to his crossing but he seemed hesitant and his decision making was poor at times.  As his confidence grew and as he got to know the game of his teammates, though, he's grown into quite a player for us.  I think that's what we can expect from Babel.

Pennant has grown a lot in confidence, and I defended him when he was heavily questioned. Now he's much more settled I have a "but" in his game. He has the ability to dribble and run with the ball, but sometimes he abuses of it, sometimes he should release the ball earlier, I dunno if you lot agree.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:15 pm

Pennant is certainly looking better with each game that he plays. I've slagged him off in the past but his recent displays are beginning to win me over .

As for Sabre's question
sometimes he should release the ball earlier, I dunno if you lot agree.
It seems to me that Pennants "game" for the most part is either, get past the defender and put in a cross hoping someone will latch onto it (he often fails to look up to assess all the options) or check and feed the ball back to Finnan. Perhaps he should attempt to release the ball forward earlier but I don't know if the ability to quickly spot and deliver an early "killer"pass is in his locker.

Don't want this to trn into another bunfight so will just reiterate , I think Pennants getting better all the time BUT he has his limitations.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Anfield rapper » Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:15 pm

Tange wrote:Torres aint really doing it for me at the mo, lot of hype expected a demi god on the pitch, buts that my fault, give him a few games before i make my decision on him....

now babel, is exciting me, i admit hes not strong on the ball passing defenders, but he is fast and has some power on that shot......

A nice steady start...its looking good and a game in hand. we should be at top not those blue tw**S

I think Torres did very well and the only thing that stopped him from scoring 2 or 3 was their bloody goalkeeper. Torres should be on about 5 goals this season but he has had some bad luck and keepers pulling off great saves. It will come for him. That burst of pace that took him between the two defenders was awesome and we haven't had a striker who could do that since Owen. I think he will get alot of goals when he is settled.
Anfield rapper
LFC Super Member

Postby woof woof ! » Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:27 pm

Torres oozed class, and the premiership doesn't frighten him , he's slotted right into the prem and is well up for it . A great signing, will probably turn out to be Rafa's best ever.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby red37 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:44 pm

Alongside Reina.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:47 pm

alongside agger, (quote) the best defender in the world :D
maypaxvobiscum

Postby romanh » Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:03 pm

Original video of Voronin's goal was removed from youtube.

Here is a new one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwUCM55NMao
romanh

Postby MightyLFC » Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:04 pm

[quote="maypaxvobiscum"][/quote]
This is agger look alike
Attachments

[The extension has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

MightyLFC

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion