Summer plans - What do you think?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:36 pm

I agree that Heskey, Diouf and also Troare should be sold in the summer. Maybe:

Heskey = £3Mil to Middlesbrough

Diouf = £6Mil to a French or Spainsh team.

Troare = £500,000 to a french side.

Dudek = £3Mil to Man City or to a Euopean Side

Babbel = Get him of the books, I think his contract is up.

That is all we need to sell FOR NOW, if we can get an experinced keeper to play second fiddle to Kirkland, and complete the tranfer of Cisse, that would be good, but one more player would top it of, maybe a right sided midfielder is in order, Simon Davies or Steed Malbranque.  I think that we do need two new players to go into the first team, in order for us to move in the right direction.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:56 pm

I can see what you are saying but its unrealistic to suggest selling players for such and such.

I would think Gerard will get about £15m-£20m this summer, £12m-15m for Cisse and a few million for another player or two.

We aren't really a selling club and there-fore i think it would be silly to sell players who can be useful. Diouf isn't a bad player at all. Ok he's not worth anything like £10m but he can be useful and will provide valuable backup. Traore i don't believe should be sold unless we get a decent offer... again, he'll do for backup. Dudek... not on the face of this earth. Kirkland is only young he needs a great keeper there for backup should he need to be taken out the spotlight. Dudek is more than equal to Kirkland and we are trying to build a strong squad, not destroy one. £3m won't buy you anything these days so there is no point in selling a great asset.

The comments on Malbranque or Davies i totally agree with as i think both are superb players. I used to bang on about Bowyer for this position until he signed for Newcastle.

I also feel we need a centre half, Boumsong would be perfect and free but this is starting to look unlikely. I don't think Mexes is the answer as he isn't as strong or quick as Boumsong. Some people have been suggesting Michael Dawson from Forest and while i agree he's a good prospect, he's not going to improve the first 11. We don't need more squad players. I really can't think of one who'd be available for reasonable money or would want to come here to be honest, maybe the answer lies abroad in another "Hyypia" type signing. Who knows?? Gerard maybe? ;)
115-1073096938

Postby simic_ie » Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:39 pm

You must be off your nelly to sell Dudek. This month proves not only do we need both keepers, we probably need another one too. Chris Kirkland has been injured more in the last two seasons than he's been fit (probably not statistically true but you know what I mean). Every club in Europe would kill to have the goalkeeping quality Liverpool have so if we ever want to get back to where we were, we need to keep our best assets
“It was my first of the season, my last of the season, my best of the season and the one I will remember for ever.”

- Vladi Smicer after scoring in the CL Final

"I'm not a believer in fate..... until tonight, they're going to win it!"
-  Liam Brady after extra time of CL Final
simic_ie
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedSi » Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:33 pm

Why sell Heskey at all imho let alone for £3mill....?

Beyond his much hyped piece of skill against Samuel at the weekend I think that Diouf had an awful game, certainly the worst I've seen live anyway. Having been an early supporter of El Hadj I'm afraid that I now view him as a bit of a headless chicken and his propensity to fall over does neither himself nor the Club any favours. £6mill would be nice, I'd ditch him anyway.

Dudek, no way.

Traore, agree with Stu_the_Red, only if the price is right.

Babbel, see what the manager situation's like, I still think he could do more than a good job but the differences with GH are seemingly irreconcilable.
RedSi
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue Jan 13, 2004 6:32 pm

Redsi i think Heskey maybe Surpless to requirements if we sign Cisse.

Owen
Cisse
Baros
Pongolle

You only really need 4 good strikers, Heskey's form over the last 2 years hasn't been good enough to want to keep him. If we were offered good money... I.E. £5m or £6m then i'd let him go. But only if Cisse was brought in first. I've backed Heskey endlessly but my patience ran out last season. Ability is there, just the confidence and consistency isn't. A great shame because he could have been as important a player for us as Hamann as he shown in the treble season.

I do think you're being harsh on Diouf, the first half he was sh##e, but in the second he improved alot as did most of the team. He done a few good things, at times he is still like a headless chicken but he'd be useful coming off the bench in some games.
115-1073096938

Postby RedSi » Tue Jan 13, 2004 6:52 pm

Maybe I am being a bit harsh on the lad, only time will tell......

As for Cisse, I'm very worried that he's going to be another untested-outside-of-France expensive flop  :(
RedSi
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue Jan 13, 2004 7:14 pm

haha nar mate i doubt it.

I would be optimistic if anything.

He's lightenting quick, very direct, can carry the ball, technically very good, can hit a long range shot and strong aswell. He has all the attributes to make a top class player which i am sure, playing along side the likes of Hamann, Owen, Kewell, Gerrard, Hyypia etc he will become.
115-1073096938

Postby columbia » Wed Jan 14, 2004 12:43 am

this is what id do if i could

player out
diouf
biscan
heskey

players in
cisse
gallas ( apparently maybe coming available in the summer as chelsea want ayala and someone else)
malbranque
columbia

Postby 115-1073096938 » Wed Jan 14, 2004 12:56 am

Gallas?

lol.

Behave man. He's never gonna come. Wouldn't mind though. Suprised Gerard missed him to be honest. Imagine him and Sami at centre half. *drools*
115-1073096938

Postby Dalglish » Wed Jan 14, 2004 2:30 am

Stop dreaming that Biscan is going !!!!!!! We all know he is Houllier's GIMP ! LMAO :D

I don't think we need 4 or 5 players added to be honest , just the ones we already have fit and able to play 3/4 of the matches in a season would suit me fine. Cisse may come , he may not . As its a wish list type of thread I'd like to see Larrson and Koumas , and before you say Larsson is too old , may i remind you of Gary Mac and 2001, "he's got no hair and we don't care, gary gary mac" LOL
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby DAV » Wed Jan 14, 2004 8:28 am

we would be stupid to sell dudik.
he's made mistakes but hasnt every goalkeeper
just look at seaman against brazil and his cup winners cup disaster years ago
he's a good goalkeeper
DAV
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Wed Jan 14, 2004 12:49 pm

Larson could do a job for us alright. A move for him to Anfield could be similar to Gary Mac or Sheringham going to UTD.

Some players - McAllister, Shearer and Sheringham - experience a "rebirth" in their mid thirties, and Larson looks that kind of player.

Gallas would be a great signing and I have a sneaking feeling he'll go this summer. Before there was any word of Abrahomvih Gallas was looking for a move from Chelsea last summer as he was unhappy. His agent revealed that he had a get out clause allowing him to join any club for £7.5million. Arsenal were interested but hadn't the money, as were Barcelona who then decided to spend their budget on Ronaldinho.

I think Chelsea will definitely sign at least one top class centre half in the transfer window, and Dessailley and Gallas will probably lose out. Arsenal like Gallas and he would go there given the French contingent, but with the emergence of Kolo Toure and Pascal Cygan's improved form this year, Wenger might cool his interest.

I think we would have a reasonable chance of getting him if he goes in the sumemr, but we'd probably have to offer him big wages.

I agree Stu, pairing Gallas with Hyppia (with Henchoz as their back-up) would be a very good partnership. Hyppia could meet all the early balls and Gallas could use his pace and timing to mop up behind him.

I also agree that Steed Malbranque would be a very good signing and I'd put him out on the right.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby 115-1073096938 » Wed Jan 14, 2004 4:27 pm

see we're friends now :D
115-1073096938

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion