Suarez - Shortlists for the fifa ballon d’or

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Dundalk » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:10 am

The following 23 men (in alphabetical order) are in contention for the FIFA Ballon d’Or 2011:

Éric Abidal (France), Sergio Agüero (Argentina), Karim Benzema (France), Iker Casillas (Spain), Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal), Dani Alves (Brazil), Samuel Eto’o (Cameroon), Cesc Fàbregas (Spain), Diego Forlán (Uruguay), Andrés Iniesta (Spain), Lionel Messi (Argentina), Thomas Müller (Germany), Nani (Portugal), Neymar (Brazil), Mesut Özil (Germany), Gerard Piqué (Spain), Wayne Rooney (England), Bastian Schweinsteiger (Germany), Wesley Sneijder (Netherlands), Luis Suárez (Uruguay), David Villa (Spain), Xabi Alonso (Spain), Xavi (Spain).

Nice to see he is being recognised for stuff like this. A truly gifted football lets hope he just keeps getting better and better.

The question is though, does Dundreamin think he will win it over Messi?   :D
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jimmy brighton » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:26 pm

Dundalk wrote:The question is though, does Dundreamin think he will win it over Messi?   :D

:D

I doubt it. Messi will probably win it for the 3rd year running. The only time one of our lot has won it was Michael Owen in 2001. Keegan won it in '78 but by then he was a Hamburg player. Kenny finished 2nd in '83 and Stevie came 3rd in '05 and '08.

If Luiz keeps going the way he has I think he'll have a good shout next year.
joey ate the frogs legs
made the swiss roll
now he's munching gladback
jimmy brighton
LFC Super Member

Postby maguskwt » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:33 pm

jimmy brighton wrote:
Dundalk wrote:The question is though, does Dundreamin think he will win it over Messi?   :D

I doubt it. Messi will probably win it for the 3rd year running. The only time one of our lot has won it was Michael Owen in 2001. Keegan won it in '78 but by then he was a Hamburg player. Kenny finished 2nd in '83 and Stevie came 3rd in '05 and '08.

Owen won the European Ballon D'or, this one's the FIFA Ballon D'or which is the combined FIFA player of the year and European Ballon D'or.
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jimmy brighton » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:42 pm

maguskwt wrote:
jimmy brighton wrote:

Owen won the European Ballon D'or, this one's the FIFA Ballon D'or which is the combined FIFA player of the year and European Ballon D'or.

It's the same thing now. The two were merged in 2010. The results as far as I know have been identical along the way anyway.
joey ate the frogs legs
made the swiss roll
jimmy brighton
LFC Super Member

Postby maguskwt » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:58 pm

jimmy brighton wrote:The results as far as I know have been identical along the way anyway.

Not necessarily... When there were two, the Fifa world player of the year was considered the more prestigeous of the two because it selects the best in the world whereas the Ballon D'or only selects the best in Europe. What I'm trying to say is that the Ballon D'or that Owen won is not essentially the same as the Fifa Ballon D'or now because the latter now is considered from all over the world same as the Fifa world player of the year previously... for example, that year Owen won the Ballon D'or but Figo won Fifa World player of the year.

PS. Rather it is more accurate to say that today's Fifa Ballon D'or is essentially the same as the Fifa World player of the year previously.
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:59 pm

the funniest thing is wenger is nominated for coach of the year :laugh:
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby ethanr » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:15 pm

stmichael wrote:the funniest thing is wenger is nominated for coach of the year :laugh:

I saw that.  And I laughed.

Luis was a big reason Uruguay went so far at the world cup, and an even bigger reason they won the Copa America.  He did well for Liverpool at the end of last year as well, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him make the top 10 list, but there seems to be so much bias in it.  Rooney made the list again and he was absolute garbage last year.. He had 1 good goal against city and then a bunch of pens.

Dundreamin, I think that's your turn to argue your point. Final 2 messi vs. Suarez?    :D
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby andy_g » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:30 pm

only 8 of the barca team then?

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Good Yank » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:37 pm

Umm, how in the hell is Eric Abidal on that list?
s@int - 13 December 2009

I won't celebrate Rafa going........ but I will be over the moon if Dalglish comes in. League within 2 years if he gets the job, AND YOU CAN QUOTE ME ON THAT.
The Good Yank
LFC Super Member

Postby Fowler_E7 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:58 pm

The Good Yank wrote:Umm, how in the hell is Eric Abidal on that list?

Sympathy vote because of his return from cancer or was it a tumour. What i wanna know is how the hell is Wenger down for the coach of the year and Rooney for player of the year? Arsenal have been a joke since Febuary and Rooney was terrible for the 1st half of the season  :no
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kash_Mountain » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:00 pm

Nice if Suarez get's it, but will probably go to the Messi.

How did Shrek get on the list ?

ABSOLUTE STRENGTH       

ImageImage
Kash_Mountain

Postby The Good Yank » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:01 pm

Fowler_E7 wrote:

Sympathy vote because of his return from cancer or was it a tumour.

Ahh.  Alright then.  I feel like a prlck now.
s@int - 13 December 2009

I won't celebrate Rafa going........ but I will be over the moon if Dalglish comes in. League within 2 years if he gets the job, AND YOU CAN QUOTE ME ON THAT.
The Good Yank
LFC Super Member

Postby Roger Red Hat » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:07 pm

The Good Yank wrote:
Fowler_E7 wrote:

Sympathy vote because of his return from cancer or was it a tumour.

Ahh.  Alright then.  I feel like a prlck now.

nobody on here thinks you a pr!ck...   well not for that comment anyway.  :D

suarez wont get it, he's too volatile. For all his good bits he has a dark side. Diving around, swearing and carrying on.

Messi is the blue eyed boy.
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:31 pm

And because Messi fully deserves it, Ronaldo is the only player close to his level right now
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jimmy brighton » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:40 pm

maguskwt wrote:
jimmy brighton wrote:The results as far as I know have been identical along the way anyway.

Not necessarily... When there were two, the Fifa world player of the year was considered the more prestigeous of the two because it selects the best in the world whereas the Ballon D'or only selects the best in Europe. What I'm trying to say is that the Ballon D'or that Owen won is not essentially the same as the Fifa Ballon D'or now because the latter now is considered from all over the world same as the Fifa world player of the year previously... for example, that year Owen won the Ballon D'or but Figo won Fifa World player of the year.

PS. Rather it is more accurate to say that today's Fifa Ballon D'or is essentially the same as the Fifa World player of the year previously.

I stand corrected. Got the two mixed up. Might be to do with this flu I've got!!
joey ate the frogs legs
made the swiss roll
jimmy brighton
LFC Super Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion