Strikes - Worrying stats

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Owzat » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:19 am

Putting to one side the League Cup where we've played the might of Reading and Cardiff, just about getting through in both games. And putting to one side the Champions League where we are P3 W0 D1 L2 so again not much point analysing strikers efforts in those games, I was looking at the goals and assists for the four main strikers this season. Fair enough Crouch hasn't played much in the Premiership this season, but if I lay out the stats you'll probably be as worried as I.

Premiership Stats - Strikers

Source : fantasypremierleague

Torres - 4 goals in 631 mins (158 mins/goal) 1 assist

Voronin - 3 goals in 522 mins (174 mins/goal) 1 assist

Kuyt - 2 goals in 654 mins (327 mins/goal) 2 assists

Crouch - 0 goals in 131 mins (n/a mins/goal) 0 assists

Both Kuyt's goals were penalties, 1 of Voronin's goals was in the 6-0 vs Derby while another goal and his only assist were against Sunderland - the other goal against spudz' leaky defence, all teams that are struggling and within 3 points of bottom (two in the bottom three). So our strikers, Torres apart, are doing next to nothing and Crouch has filled in the "not really used" role that Fowler got last season (but Fowler did ok in)

So in a nutshell Torres is our main goalscorer but injured, Kuyt can't score from open play, Voronin likes playing cr ap teams and Crouch can't get on the pitch. Didn't Fowler get slated in some corners, including by Liverpool fans, for not scoring from open play in the Premiership? His record was better than a goal every 327 mins. I said we let him go when we could have SOLD Crouch or Kuyt, Fowler could have filled either of their roles and those two would have brought in some £££
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:38 am

Not suprising with our form, nor is that suprising due to the way we play.  :glare:

Grim reading isnt it, and how the feck Kuyt gets picked game after game is beyond me, faaarkinell.
Last edited by 66-1112520797 on Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
66-1112520797

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:17 am

I think more worrying is when we play kuyt and voronin together.  they run in the same spaces and don't get into the box..
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby europian-kings » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:59 am

if crouch scored in the first 27 mins of a game then his average goal a game would be same as torres =]
it is vital we bring in another decent striker to partner torres upfront next year
europian-kings
LFC Super Member

Postby skatesy » Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:08 am

I think Torres and Babel should partner each other up front with Crouch filling in for Babel on occasion. Keep Benayoun on the right wing and Kewell on the left.
skatesy

Postby whylongball? » Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:30 pm

Bamaga man wrote:Not suprising with our form, nor is that suprising due to the way we play.  :glare:

Grim reading isnt it, and how the feck Kuyt gets picked game after game is beyond me, faaarkinell.

the key is the way we play  :no
whylongball?

Postby Thinkpad » Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:04 pm

I wouldn't blame Voronin too much. I can see him better than Kuyt. It is just the way we are playing. It doesn't suit our strikers style of play. Maybe Rafa should drop his suit and came in as a striker. Only he can play his style...

Voronin is expected to be everywhere.. even in defense during open play. Rafa don't need skill players.. he need hardworking, strong and great stamina players. Skills is not needed. Can't score? Nevermind, if we keep doing the same tihng, the opponents will make a mistake somwhere and we score. No mistake? No matter, we didn't lose did we? This is the style we are deploying now.. So don't blame the strikers.
Thinkpad

Postby puroresu » Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:11 pm

Thinkpad wrote:I wouldn't blame Voronin too much. I can see him better than Kuyt. It is just the way we are playing. It doesn't suit our strikers style of play. Maybe Rafa should drop his suit and came in as a striker. Only he can play his style...

Voronin is expected to be everywhere.. even in defense during open play. Rafa don't need skill players.. he need hardworking, strong and great stamina players. Skills is not needed. Can't score? Nevermind, if we keep doing the same tihng, the opponents will make a mistake somwhere and we score. No mistake? No matter, we didn't lose did we? This is the style we are deploying now.. So don't blame the strikers.

I agree that playing up front for Liverpool right now is hard work.  We dont create tons of chances.
puroresu

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:12 pm

Thinkpad wrote:Skills is not needed. Can't score? Nevermind, if we keep doing the same tihng, the opponents will make a mistake somwhere and we score. No mistake? No matter, we didn't lose did we? This is the style we are deploying now.. So don't blame the strikers.

your idea is to grind out a result. but there are teams that have much skilled players and can create openings without needing the oppo to make mistakes or without working hard for it because with flair and skills they have a higher chance of scoring.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Owzat » Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:48 pm

Let's throw Gerrard in the mix, just for comparison. He's not had the greatest season but scored in each of the last three games (all competitions)

Gerrard - 2 goals in 634 mins (317 mins/goal) 3 assists

Gerrard has a goal or assist in each of the last three games, also got Hibbert sent off which was probably crucial. Without his contribution we'd have one point from the last three league games instead of five - amazingly he nearly didn't play against Cardiff!
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby THEBARON » Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:01 pm

Our problems up front are down to 2 reasons;
( 1 ). The way we play.....
( 2 ).Torres apart our strikers are not good enough.
Voronin was a decent enough addition as a squad player given that he came on a free. He works hard but his finishing has been poor in the last couple of games and has missed some decent chances.
Kuyt again works hard for the team but doesn't offer enough for me. He lacks pace and lacks composure in his finishing. His goal record was good in Holland but sadly it has not ben repeated yet in the premiership.
Crouch appears to have gone out of the reckoning , which is a shame,given the support Rafa gave him in his first season and his record in previous seasons. Clearly he is no speed merchant , but his touch and control can be good and his height means he does pose a threat to goal.
Long term maybe we will have to look at some more dollars being spent in January - short term why not give Babel an extended run up front ? He is direct, fast and looked a threat for Holland in the summer.
THEBARON

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:13 pm

I still can't fathom how Rafa can continue to pick Kuyt ahead of Crouch in the majority of games.
Kuyt strengths are working hard off the ball putting in the leg work................erm,..............................................erm,................
Okay as you can see I'm struggling to see what he brings to the team.

Crouch on the other hand who ain't getting a sniff most weeks brings a little bit more.
He can hold up the ball allowing support to arrive.
He's got a bit more composure than Kuyt in front of goal.
He's able to provide a bit of skill with his good footwork.
And you always have that height to use (even though his heading is his weakest attribute), not to mention his overhead shooting abilities.

I'm not sure of the stats concerning minutes per goal last season but considering Crouch was our top scorer I can't believe the way he's been almost bombed out by Rafa this season.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby simolonge » Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:29 pm

Goals win games, so its important.

we have drawn games, the obvious reason is cus we have not scored enough. Hardly breaking news this like.
simolonge

Postby HOMER » Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:41 pm

buy anelka in january and play him up front with torres.

use crouch as a sub - decent impact player.

put kuyt and voronin in the reserves. they might get to double figures in goals there!
HOMER

Postby THEBARON » Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:45 pm

Not a bad idea

How old is Anelka now

How much would he cost ?

Rafa was rumoured to be interested a couple of years ago but went for Morientes instead
THEBARON

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion