Strikers from spain & italy - Is it worth it?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby AussieKopite » Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:37 am

In light of failures or less than impressive showings by more attacking players from Spain & Italy, is it still worth buying them for the English League. Morientes was a flop, Sheva is still struggling for Chelsea and Gonzales hasn't exactly lit up the Premiership. Is the EPL too physical for these player that we know can play? Although unlikely that they would come over, would Eto'o or Ronaldinho flourish in England? Or would they struggle like so many? Is it worth it to Chelsea or Liverpool to sign a player like David Villa? Or are we better picking from England, Scotland or the Nederlands...?
You'll never walk alone.

Twitter: @AussieKopite
AussieKopite
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:10 am

Klaus Jan Huntelaar.

china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby crazyhorse » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:20 am

I do not think there are many Spanish or italian players who are powerful enough to survive the pace of our game. There are not too many I can really think of over recent years either. One who springs to mind would be Vieri at his peak, and possibly Ronaldo.
Someone like Torres is the right type of player, but for me the jury is still out on how good he actually is.
Last edited by crazyhorse on Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mattylfc » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:17 am

Zola seemed to cope ok!
mattylfc

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:36 am

Ravanelli did well at Boro.( Especially on his debut :(  )
account deleted by request

Postby welsh wizzard » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:40 am

The Manhattan Project wrote:Klaus Jan Huntelaar.

He will be a massive sucess here. Like most dutch forwards have been. This lad will be better than horse face. I hope we go for him to play alongside kuite they would be frightning.

Horse face, Berkamp, Hasslebaink, vanpersie, all scored goals in premiership. But Huntelaar could be the best!!

I say lets get him in Summer!!!
welsh wizzard
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:40 am

If the pace of the Spanish and Italian leagues are not good enough for this one, where will be signing then? Australia?

:D

I don't think you can do patterns of validity looking at the league they come from. Alonso was a success, Arteta is doing well, Others simply don't. But you can't stablish a pattern according to that.
Last edited by Sabre on Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rafa D » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:57 am

Eto'o and Ronaldinho would flourish in the Premiership in my opinion. Sure players would have to adapt their game to suit the hussle and bussle of the English Premier League. Our league is different like every other league, but good players can do it. It all comes down the mentality of the player in question. Younger players like Ronaldo, Fabregas and Xabi Alonso adapted very well, because they eager to develop their game and willing to learn. Mentally, there looking to improve and are more willing to go that extra mile to get better and better.

Older more experienced players like Shevchenko and Veron, were already on top of their game, there were great players already. They were less open to new ideas and lacked the right mentality to develop their game to suit the Premier League. Other younger players who don't make the grade, ala Pongolle or Le Tallec either lack the skils or the right mentality
Last edited by Rafa D on Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby welsh wizzard » Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:02 pm

Rafa-Dodd wrote:Eto'o and Ronaldinho would flourish in the Premiership in my opinion. Sure players would have to adapt their game to suit the hussle and bussle of the English Premier League. Our league is different like every other league, but good players can do it. It all comes down the mentality of the player in question. Younger players like Ronaldo, Fabregas and Xabi Alonso adapted very well, because they eager to develop their game and willing to learn. Mentally, there looking to improve and are more willing to go that extra mile to get better and better.

Older more experienced players like Shevchenko and Veron, were already on top of their game, there were great players already. They were less open to new ideas and lacked the right mentality to develop their game to suit the Premier League. Other younger players who don't make the grade, ala Pongolle or Le Tallec either lack the skils or the right mentality

Right mentality.

You are Rafa Benitez aren't you!! I can't believe it on here.  :bowdown  :bowdown
welsh wizzard
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rafa D » Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:02 pm

Also I forgot to add. I would happliy carry on buying Spanish strikers. The Spanish players have added a lot of flair and passing ability to our side and I would trust Rafa in the transfer market.

The Italians in my opinion are a bit more dangerous in the transfers department. Their league is not as strong as ours or La Liga and their slow, defensive game is not the best, however they have just won the world cup so what do I know!!

WW - you embrass me, Sabre is Rafa, for sure.
Last edited by Rafa D on Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby scouser 'til I die » Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:13 pm

exactly  :nod

You'll Never Walk Alone
scouser 'til I die

Postby adamnbarrett » Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:22 pm

Rafa-Dodd wrote:WW - you embrass me, Sabre is Rafa, for sure.

:D
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redmikey » Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:58 pm

welsh wizzard wrote:

He will be a massive sucess here. Like most dutch forwards have been. This lad will be better than horse face. I hope we go for him to play alongside kuite they would be frightning.

Horse face, Berkamp, Hasslebaink, vanpersie, all scored goals in premiership. But Huntelaar could be the best!!

kezman, van hooydonk, dundee (jokin)

it is easy to pick out one or two sucess stories and say we should buy from here or there

our league is getting less and less physical every week, i watch argie football on 5 somwtimes and they still have terrible tackles going in but it didn't make crespo a sucess,or tevez and mascarano  so far

we don't need a striker anyway we neeed a left back and some wingers as harry sicknote won't evr put in 40 games a season and pennat cross like stig inge byyyyyorrbe(
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby Lando_Griffin » Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:03 pm

Just adding to Rafa-Dodd's posts, it's all about adaptability and physical attributes.

There are probably 20 or more players in Serie A who, in Italy, are pretty bog-standard, but in the EPL would be World beaters. Same with Spain.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby welsh wizzard » Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:09 pm

redmikey wrote:
welsh wizzard wrote:

kezman, van hooydonk, dundee (jokin)

it is easy to pick out one or two sucess stories and say we should buy from here or there

our league is getting less and less physical every week, i watch argie football on 5 somwtimes and they still have terrible tackles going in but it didn't make crespo a sucess,or tevez and mascarano  so far

we don't need a striker anyway we neeed a left back and some wingers as harry sicknote won't evr put in 40 games a season and pennat cross like stig inge byyyyyorrbe(

Kezman is not dutch!!

Yes he played in the dutch league but i was stating dutch players. "Dutch Forwards"

As for vanhoydonk he did ok in this league and scored a few goals.

Kezman just didn't have the right mentality.

Huntleaar will be a star!!
welsh wizzard
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion