Striker linked - Riki

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby bigmick » Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:20 pm

Hey I'm not anti-Spanish at all. Alonso is a superb player and as I keep saying Garcia is too. Reina will probably come good and is certainly better than Dudek so all is not lost. My reservations about foreign based players is not whether or not they are good players because almost without exception they are, it's whether they can adapt to British football or not. Morientes is living proof that bundles of ability and class do not assure you of making the transition.

John Craigs points about the difficulty in prising smith from Man U are absolutely spot on but I'm simply making the point that there are alternatives. Do we still need a Pellegrino, an experienced centre-back who doesn't necessarily play every week but provides cover and influence in the dressing room? Gareth Southgate anyone?

Look at Manure for inspiration. Ferguson travels the World buying and discarding goalkeepers. In the end he buys a bloke from down the road for 2 million quid. What do you reckon, will Van Der Saar adapt to the Premiership?
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby craig da Toxteth iron » Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:21 pm

You don't hear Juventus, Ac Millan , Barcalona, Arsenal looking at him. Also it another spanish player this will cause cleeks in the team???
Image Image

craig da Toxteth iron

Postby bigmick » Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:24 pm

craig da Toxteth iron wrote:You don't hear Juventus, Ac Millan , Barcalona, Arsenal looking at him. Also it another spanish player this will cause cleeks in the team???

Looking at who exactly Craig? I'm not trying to be smart but there's been quite a few people mentioned in the thread.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby drummerphil » Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:56 pm

Hi mick i always read what you post as your normally not wide of the mark.I however have to say you have more faith in the spanish lot than i am.One or two fair enough but half a squad full is far too many its not as though we are signing players anywhere the quality of a fit Raul is it.
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:48 pm

what it really pisses off me is seeing Owen with the bloody magpies. He said he wanted to come back Liverpool, in the radio , in the tv and in the internet. He even rejected the magpies twice. That's the english striker we need :(

ABout the Spaniards fitting well, I think it's a matter of quality, form, and mind rather than nationality. Many :censored: in Spain doubted about Michael Owen and Beckham and Mcmanaman. "The midfields there are used to see the balls on top of their heads, this is a lot more skillfull football" they ranted. But quality is quality and Beckham and Owen have done more than ok. So would Woody if he was in a team that actually tries to defend in the midfield.

I apply the same logic to the Spaniards in England. THe stereotype there is the physic aspect of the game. Well, I think Division One is quite physic and Idiakez a friend of Alonso, is doing great in Derby COunty. Morientes, with games in his back will do well, as did in France, a different football. Alonso has donde remarkably well (with ups and downs in his form, needless to say) and Josemi or NUñez will never do well there, because he's a player for Malaga, not a top team.

Luis Garcia, in a top Spanish, Italian, German team, would have the same troubles he's having in Liverpool, as his problem is that he thinks he's some sort of Maradona. If only he realised he's just good...

Well, let's see, I'm sure that better times will come this season. I love to discuss about football with you guys :)

Sabre
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby drummerphil » Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:02 pm

no problem my friend keep it coming :)
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby wrighty (not mark!) » Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:04 pm

Alright then people. Be truthful in making it YOUR opinion and not worry about what anyone else says....What Striker should we go for?
wrighty (not mark!)
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:09 pm

My 2 cents:

Priority 1: Michael Owen. Good: He's world class and want to go Liverpool. Bad: Expensive.

Priority 2: NIhat: Good: Goals, dribbling, speed, free kicks, corners, attitude, last year of contract.
                        Bad: Half Europe is behind him, but he'd go to Liverpool before to Valencia only to   make us happy
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stoney » Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:14 pm

I think we should go for Andy Johndson. Hes English and used to the EPL, he won't cost all that much and he sure knows where the goal is and hes still quite young. Also he would play his heart out trying to win a place in the world cup squad. Could win us a few penalties along the way too  :D . Shame we probs won't sign him though, we've already bought one relegated striker  :down:
stoney
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby drummerphil » Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:14 pm

Eidur Gudjohnsen  would never happen,but always rated him
my reason for living

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:31 pm

Johnson or Gudjohnson are both good shouts in my view. If by January neither Crouch nor Morientes is doing the business, then we'll probably have to buy two strikers and sell one. My feelings would be that if we sell one of them (and my choice to go would be Morientes who we'd hopefully get most of our money back for) we need a back to the goal type player to give us a choice if Crouch continues to misfire and a quicker, nippier and probably smaller option to rival Cisse.
I guess the taller, back to the goal types are Smith, Kujit etc etc. The smaller, quicker guys who may do the goalscoring job for you are Andy Johnson, Robbie Keanne and my old favourite who I still haven't forgotten about, Robert Earnshaw. Please don't post up that he can't even get in the West Brom team because I know that. Just because that numpty Robson doesn't rate him doesn't mean he's not a good player, probably the opposite infact. He would score a lot of goals for a Premiership team given the chance, I am still certain of that.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stoney » Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:37 pm

bigmick wrote:Johnson or Gudjohnson are both good shouts in my view. If by January neither Crouch nor Morientes is doing the business, then we'll probably have to buy two strikers and sell one. My feelings would be that if we sell one of them (and my choice to go would be Morientes who we'd hopefully get most of our money back for) we need a back to the goal type player to give us a choice if Crouch continues to misfire and a quicker, nippier and probably smaller option to rival Cisse.
I guess the taller, back to the goal types are Smith, Kujit etc etc. The smaller, quicker guys who may do the goalscoring job for you are Andy Johnson, Robbie Keanne and my old favourite who I still haven't forgotten about, Robert Earnshaw. Please don't post up that he can't even get in the West Brom team because I know that. Just because that numpty Robson doesn't rate him doesn't mean he's not a good player, probably the opposite infact. He would score a lot of goals for a Premiership team given the chance, I am still certain of that.

Earnshaw is a decent player and Arsene Wenger even considered buying him soem time ago to partner henry. The reason why Earnshaw is playing is because west brom are a struggling team, they need all their men back to defend and Earnie doesn't do that. In a top side he would be allowed more to just concentarte on the goalscoring.
stoney
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:51 pm

Careful Stoney you'll get slaughtered for suggesting that Earnshaw is a decent player. I said as much last season and got laughed off until the aesthetically challenged and diminutive Welshman returned (I think) the third highest goals per minute played ratio in the Prem, while playing for West Brom.
I see he scored the other night in one of his increasingly rare appearances against Fulham. Typical Earnshaw goal, slid clear by the midfielder (and they never catch him he's like sh!te off a shiny shovel) he moved in on goal before cooly clipping it over the keeper. His record in International football is fantastic and like I say, I am certain he would score goals in a decent side. We'll never ever buy him though so its all pish and nonsense.
Another that I've consistently champiopned is Glenn Johnson. He's fallen out with Maureen now so I reckon you'd have to pay about 3.5 million for an ex International who's completely lost his way. He's about 22 years old though and although he'll never make a full-back while he's got a hole in his jacksy, would make a really good right-sided midfielder IMHO. He's got pace, power, skill and something to prove. If the absolute worse comes to the worst then we could always use him as full-back cover. Absolutely must be worth a punt surely?
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stoney » Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:09 pm

Earnshaw IS a decent player but a while back during the summer, someone on here said we should sign him as hes the 'black michael owen' which I think is going a bit too far  :D
stoney
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Mikz » Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:14 pm

:D couldnt disagree more Mick -Earnshaw and G.Johnson. How about Malbranque for right side? Ive always liked him -skilfull and hard working -very similar to Ray Houghton.
For striker I do like both Keane and Andy Johnson,dont think we could go wrong with either.
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion