Strengthening the squad - Wha'ts the priority in the summer?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Penguins » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:52 pm

Liverpool442 wrote:We can strengthen the squad even without major funds being available:
Babel 7 - 9 million
Reira 7 million
Benayoun 7 million
assuming the above were sold even if our useless owners could only stump up 10 -15 million we could bring in 2 quality players which in my opinion where a striker and winger would improve us greatly. Remember players like Arshaven, Walcott and Nasri were found for only 10 million a piece, it can be done. Sometimes there is too much doom and gloom, there are still good players in the squad and with a couple of good signings in attacking areas we can move forward.

Imo that would leave our squad paper thin.
And I am sorry if I don't share your optimism, but I am sceptical of there being any transfer kitty.
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby eds » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:02 am

Well Red wrote:
eds wrote:
maguskwt wrote:Interesting takes guys. But let's not try to turn this thread into a moaning thread on rafa and the owners. We have plenty of other threads to do that. This thread is about what our squad ( ie playing staff) needs. If the manager (rafa or whoever) has a few millions to spend, around 15 millions which is the area we should prioritize is the question.

In this day and age 10-15 million won't even be able to buy you a pack of Smith's crisps in the transfer market let alone a quality player who will solve any of our current problems.

You tell me one single "star" player who will come here knowing that we have no champions league, no further money to invest in our squad and uncertainty on who will be managing the club at season's end???

I think the thread as a whole is redundant as the problem we face as a club is now completely and utterly dependent on what twiddle dee and twiddle dum do in the next few months.

I fear that if the loan to re-finance our club's debt goes through, things are going to get very, very grim for us as it could take years to rebuild our debt-ridden pillaged club. Selling Gerrard and Torres will be only the tip of the iceburg.

so we don't want the Bank to give us an extension on the loan?  :kungfu:

No we don't, the loan will only be used to refinance our current debt. Twiddle dee and Twiddle dum will then keep freeloading off our club until the time comes to get an EVEN BIGGER loan. You do understand how finance works don't you lad?  :upside:

Why would we want to keep plodding along as it is paying 15 million to fix a broken window when the whole house is falling apart?

This band-aid solution will only compound things in the long term, we need new owners and investment into the club. A few fringe players that may cost us 5-7 million WILL NOT fix our problems.
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby muzza798 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:28 am

Sign:

Hangeland
Silva
Turan
A good left back

Buy wingers and move kuyt to replacement striker
muzza798

Postby tubby » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:28 am

Penguins wrote:
bavlondon wrote:I know he isn't 100% but id get rid of Aquilani. He is too lightweight. How often does Rafa play him? The premier league is physical and if Rafa is hesitant to play him for him getting injured. What's the point in that? Even if we get 13Mil for him its 13Mil to spend rather than 20mil completely wasted.

Babel should really be played as a striker but never is so id hope he has a good world cup and sell him. Hopefully we can at least get back what we paid. We already have that Jovanovich coming in so im not sure if Rafa will assume the strikers position filled. I couldn't imagine him going for yet another striker on top of that.

Now would not be a good time to try and flog him as we'd be looking at 10 million tops.
Has been too injury riddled this season for anyone to fancy him.

And risk him being like this all next season? I know it's a big loss but it's an even bigger loss if he isn't contributing to the team as much as he should.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Liverpool442 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:59 am

Penguins wrote:Imo that would leave our squad paper thin.
And I am sorry if I don't share your optimism, but I am sceptical of there being any transfer kitty.

How can selling three fringe players and replacing them with two first team players costing 10 - 15 million leave us any worse off than we are now ?
Its not that I am ful off optimism its just that I think one bad season is not the end of Liverpool FC, there are still many good players in the squad that if added to could form part of a very strong team.
Liverpool442

Postby tonyeh » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:30 am

Which begs the question why is Benayoon a "fringe player" these days?

Has Benitez fucked him around too often as well?
tonyeh

Postby bunglemark2 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:59 pm

tonyeh wrote:Which begs the question why is Benayoon a "fringe player" these days?

Has Benitez fucked him around too often as well?

I've been watching Bennyoon (sp.) lately and he doesn't look a happy man....seems to always play with a scowl on his face of late....I wouldn't be surprised if he'd gone by the start of next season
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby tonyeh » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:03 pm

Me neither. Unfortunately.
tonyeh

Postby rocky29 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:23 pm

unless we get new owners this summer were doomed. Next season will be worse than this one!
rocky29
LFC Super Member

Postby Raoul » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:22 am

If all we have is 15 mill, then I think we are talking about buying one player.

I'd buy a LB (with Insua as back up) or CB (with Insua Agger's back up). I think our midfield is fine, we are OK out wide, and while I'd like another striker, I think we could survive with moving Babel up front with Ngog or Kuyt and playing 442 when Torres is unavailable. If we found ourselves short on the flanks, with Kuyt and Babel up front, why not play three in CD with Johnson and someone on the left as wingbacks?

I agree that our biggest need is another quality striker rather than a LB, I just think with the coverage we have in all positions, if all we've got to play with is 15 mill, then it should all go on one player, and that needs to be spent where we are weakest in numbers. That is LB in my opinion.
"Life is not just about money. There are other things, important things that have a different kind of value. Anyone from Liverpool could tell you that."

- Jamie Carragher
Raoul
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby rocky29 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:55 pm

thats right ulot lets get rid of our most skillful midfield player aquilani. And buy another defensive one. Am sure rafa will be up for that!
rocky29
LFC Super Member

Postby ben oseman » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:42 am

keep what we've got, just add to it with an attacking mid player, another cb and 2 more strikers
alberto aquilani = class footballer. only a matter of time my friends and we will be enlightened
ben oseman

Postby ben oseman » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:44 am

keep what we've got, just add to it with an attacking mid player, another cb and 2 more strikers
alberto aquilani = class footballer. only a matter of time my friends and we will be enlightened
ben oseman

Postby mkingdom » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:26 pm

A striker.  Every penny Rafa gets and any more he can find down the sofa MUST go on a "qualitee" striker.

Gerrard then plays CM with Masch or Aqua.

I fear Masch may be on his way this summer, but the £35m he costs would certainly help fund new signings.

With that sort of budget a striker and new DM/CM would be do-able.
mkingdom

Postby tonyeh » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:52 pm

I thought Mascherano was signing a new contract?
tonyeh

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion