Stop these silly rumours about stevie g - The are so unfounded!

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 84-1083280474 » Sat Jun 19, 2004 1:05 pm

A few people in these forums, and loads of die hard kopites i've listened to on a "radio phone in" are convinced that Steven Gerrard wants to leave Liverpool in the close season. I think they've been reading too many articles in the Liverpool echo. It seems every one is convinced he's gone, the deals been done etc.

Ive never heard so much TOSH in my life!

I'll bet anyone 100 quid that Stevie is going nowhere! for reasons and hard facts outlined Below.

1. He recently signed a new contract, pledging his future to Liverpool fc and urged Michael Owen to do the same. you dont do that if you are gonna bugger off in the close season.

2.With reference to the above, his contract is a Legally Binding Document which states he is tied to the club for 4 years, so even if he wanted to go, its impossible and a breach of contract.

3. With reference to point 2, people who are saying he has a "get out clause" in his contract, entitling him to leave. these people are purely speculating, unless they have actually Read Stevies Contract !!!
The only people who know whats on his contract are the chairman, Rick parry, his agent and Stevie. Not the f**king Liverpool Echo Im sure. As this is confidential information, not public knowledge.

4. He is Captain of LFC at just 23, a local boy and currently the best player.

5. The only people who could afford him would be chelsea, to buy out his contract in full. But why would he go there? They have no history, havent won the league for decades, dont think they have ever won the european cup. The only possible reason he would go, would be money. 125 grand a week or whatever, but then a lot of Liverpool fans would turn their back on him casue that would be the only reason for him going.

6. Rick Parry said in his comments at the Benitez press conference, that he had no intention of selling him, as you dont win trophies selling your best players. So an offer would be turned down. We dont need 30 million.

7. If it was a case of Liverpool needing a huge 30 million cash injection from his transfer, we could easily instead phone up steve morgan tommorow and get 70 million.

8. Hes in Portugal focusing on a tourament, so he's hardly gonna be negotiating with chelsea is he? and so is ambramovich.

9. Who says Mourinio Even wants Stevie G? Pure speculation

10. Houllier getting the sack is a positive step for change and stevie will no doubt recognise this. Rumours of him leaving because Curbishly isn't coming made me laugh till i cried. And benitez is a winner and will surely convince owen and gerrard that he's gonna bring some great changes.

11. Stevie has never said he wanted to leave Liverpool fc, although he spoke to Rick Parry and said he was unhappy. That doesnt mean "Im off" !

this reminds me of Michael Owen during the season, when people kept saying "Champions league or he's off" Owen had to come out publicly and stop the rumours.
I wish people would stop spreading silly rumours they hear from their mates down the pub,or read in tabloids, without knowing concrete facts.
84-1083280474

Postby JohnBull » Sat Jun 19, 2004 3:01 pm

He could sign a 20 year contract and still ask for a transfer and only a foolish club would force him to abide by it.
The stories about some of the serior first team squad asking for Curbs ARE true as is the fact that Gerrard specifically asked Parry to try to sign Joey Barton as his midfield partner for next season.
The first teamers have had a pampered life over the past few seasons and have been shown far too much leniency by the management - something which is going to come to an abrupt end.
Owen has said he would never leave under a "Bosman" which is the situation we are now in with Gerrard - at least they're not doing a McManaman and giving fook all back to the club.
There's more chance of The Pope getting married than Moores and Morgan becoming partners.
Any manager in the world would want Gerrard.
When Parry says that the jewel in our crown is "unhappy" despite the new manager coming  in, is a bit more than saying the tea lady wants a new trolly.
It is a VERY significant statement about the team captain.

I'll take you up on the £100 - consider it shook on!
JohnBull
JohnBull
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 84-1083280474 » Sat Jun 19, 2004 3:52 pm

OK John, Ill email you for my winnings on the first game of the new season when Stevie G captains the side out.

and ps. clubs dont offer 20 year contracts.
84-1083280474

Postby JohnBull » Sat Jun 19, 2004 4:09 pm

Don't want to really upset you but I've just been on the phone with the Kirkby lads in Lisbon - this is not Bull!!!!

Owen now shares the room with Jamie C , up till now its always been Gerrard.Up to very recently Gerrard was pushing Owen to sign a 5 year deal.

Gerrard now shares a room with Boy Wonder with who he wants to come to Chelsea . (The Crocky bike robber can't decide between the mancs,close to home, or now Chelski with his new bessie mate)

Parry has had a confrontation with Gerrard and put it on his toes to publicly admit that he's moving for the money - nothing else!

Benitez had a good long meeting yesterday afternoon with good old Houllier to get his opinion of the story.

At least he's going on our terms not his.
JohnBull
JohnBull
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby edwardo » Sat Jun 19, 2004 4:55 pm

I agree with John Bull, THE WRITING IS ON THE WALL, HE IS GOING! I just wish Real Madrid or someone abroad would come into the equation then we don't have the heartache of facing him next season unless it's in the CPL, MOVING ON TO BETTER YOUR CAREER IS ALWAYS ACCEPTABLE AS WE ALL PERTAIN TO THIS BUT CHELSEA WON'T PROVIDE THIS IN MY OPINION, SO, IT MUST BE THE£££££££££££££££££££££££££££,
I'd hate to see our fans animosity (myself likely included) towards SG in a blue Chelski shirt, a bit like Alan Smith is gonna get from Leeds fans but worse, so let's agree to let him go but not to a prem club, on the other hand our management could do a Fergie and block him moving then dropping him into oblivion until his senses return (remember Luke Chadwick? where is he now?  he told Fergie that if he did'nt get regular 1st team football he would be off, well done Fergie, might be a manc but his no nonsense approach is now what we need from Benitez)!!!!!!
edwardo

Postby The_Rock » Sun Jun 20, 2004 9:07 am

no player is above the club. If Gerrard wants to move, liverpool should sell him. 40 million could buy a lot of talent in today's transfer market.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Sun Jun 20, 2004 9:42 am

This is madness. Why would we want to sell our best player if we're trying to go forward. Without Stevie last season we could have been in a relegation battle.

A few days ago I would have laughed at anyone that said he would think about leaving the club for another Premiership side but Parry has admitted that Stevie is considering his options. I thought he was fully commited to Liverpool, a Red through and through. I thought with the new start, the new manager he would be the foundation for a new team.

Worse still The Mail report that Rafa Benitez has been given permission to travel to Portugal to talk to Stevie about his future. And as mentioned he's great buds with Rooney, could it be that he's picturing them playing together at Chelsea. Frank Lampard is certainly doing his best to encourage him.

There is a hell of a lot of smoke about and I for one have started waiting for the fire.

If Stevie goes I'll cry my freakin eyes out. He's my favourite player by miles and has been for years. I love his heart and his single minded determination. We need him, lets hope this can be turned around. Give us one more year.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Sun Jun 20, 2004 9:45 am

TheHustler wrote:1. He recently signed a new contract, pledging his future to Liverpool fc and urged Michael Owen to do the same. you dont do that if you are gonna bugger off in the close season.

2.With reference to the above, his contract is a Legally Binding Document which states he is tied to the club for 4 years, so even if he wanted to go, its impossible and a breach of contract.

And also any player who has decided they want to go, will go. Contracts mean nothing.  A player who doesn't want to be at a team is no use. If that happens they will take Chelsea's money.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JohnBull » Sun Jun 20, 2004 10:51 am

Hustler - I'll accept English pounds,Irish Punts, Euros and even Levs (if you've got any left from Sofia).
JohnBull
JohnBull
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Sun Jun 20, 2004 11:02 am

Agreed, The_Rock. If Gerrard wants to go, let him go. Just get 40 million hard cash for him and let Benitez buy a few quality players and intorduce a good playing system in place of Houllier's one-dimensional ultra defensive playing style and move on.

He may be able to enjoy a huge pay packet at Chelski but would their fans really adore him like we all do? Would he really find a real home there?

Get over the possibility that he may go and if he is going, make sure we get loads of cash so that we can rebuild the squad.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Sun Jun 20, 2004 11:13 am

azriahmad I cant understand why your so casual about letting a truly great player leave our club. If he wants to go then agreed we cant stop him but to be excited about it is unbelievable. Yes we could bring in a high quality player or two with the money but look at the number of 'world class' flops who have been and gone in the Premiership. There are always risks in big money buys.

When Owen follows suit we will be looking at a complete rebuild of the team. I hope as much as anyone that it goes well, but I hope you are prepared for a long wait for success.

Look at our current team without Steven Gerrard and Michael Owen...........there isn't much there!
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JohnBull » Sun Jun 20, 2004 11:21 am

I think you're a little starstruck lad. Great players do not make great sides.
Look at the galaxy of great stars at Real Madrid.. come on Valencia.

If he wants to sell his soul ----Take the money and move on.
JohnBull
JohnBull
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Sun Jun 20, 2004 11:30 am

Its not a case of being starstruck, its about realising that Steven Gerrard is head and shoulders above any other player in the Liverpool squad. Its about realising that everything should be done to preserve our best asset.

Of course we need more than him to challenge for the title again but if Benitez can make Liverpool play as a team then its a good start.

Im sure that there are other Liverpool fans that wont just start counting the millions without barely the blink of an eye.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Starbridge42 » Sun Jun 20, 2004 11:40 am

The most distressing part, IF the rumours are true, is that rick Parry could be more than willing to let him go.  An article I found on ESPNsoccernet.com said that an unnamed Liverpool spokesperson had said:  "Obviously Steven Gerrard has great tactical importance to the club.  But 30 million pounds also has great tactical importance to the club."

As for him going if Rooney joins then we don't have much to worry about.  Chances are Everton's big money offer will be enough to keep Rooney at Goodison for at least one more season.
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby 84-1083280474 » Sun Jun 20, 2004 12:01 pm

fivecups wrote:
TheHustler wrote:1. He recently signed a new contract, pledging his future to Liverpool fc and urged Michael Owen to do the same. you dont do that if you are gonna bugger off in the close season.

And also any player who has decided they want to go, will go. Contracts mean nothing.  A player who doesn't want to be at a team is no use. If that happens they will take Chelsea's money.

Contracts mean nothing?  Dont be silly, Liverpool (if they wanted) could withold a players registration who refused to play for the club, which would not allow them to play for another club ever!

John Bull, the lads from Kirkby in Lisbon have got the lowdown have they? How do they know who's sleeping in whos room? are they listening through the keyhole or something?

How do they know Parry has had an emergency meeting?

these are just rumours

Your comments made me laugh!

I'll have my 100 notes in five 20's please.
84-1083280474

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion