STEWART DOWNING - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Santa » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:46 pm

Benny The Noon » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:24 pm wrote:Umm you do remember that Kenny also brought back Bellamy and Coates hasn't really had the chance to show much with us.

Oh and BR has spent close to £80mil now

And Coates still didn't have much of a look in under BR either...I wondered why? I trust the guys who work with him day in and day out so there must be something they don't quite like in him to give him a run of games.

I've totally forgotten about Bellamy's 2nd coming and I apologise...guessed we must have paid a fortune for him and he have made quite an impact huh...NOT!  :rasp

I think Brendan have just gone past that £80M this window and he did so with not one player costing >£15M over the past 2 seasons and needing to clear out twice as many deadwoods as he brought in. Players like Sturridge, Coutinho (and probably Aspas, Alberto and Mignolet) will no doubt get more games and do much better...I hoped! The only question mark signing so far is Borini, so his hit rate are much better I'll say
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Calum » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:47 pm

Santa » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:16 pm wrote:
Calum » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:36 am wrote:I didn't say that you said all of Dalglish's signings were bad. I was pointing out they weren't all bad! Not putting words in your mouth at all. You're getting angry for no reason. YOU should spend more time reading carefully.

And here I am pointing out to you all his big ticket purchases didn't worked out, and you brought up Enrique (yes he is half decent)....so since you called an Enrique (£6M), I'll see you and raise you a Coates (£7M)...how about that?!?  :D  What I'm merely pointing out here is the big picture of the unfortunate track record of Kenny signings,and the huge losses we've suffered as a results, not trying to debate if any particular player is any good, or not. In fact iirc Enrique was his cheapest purchase? so there you go...

btw. Bellamy was signed and sold by Rafa so what's he gotta do with Kenny? or are you gonna bring in Alonso and Souness and tell me they are not that bad too?

Look I'm not here to argue over something that happened years ago...but you've got to agreed that KK's track record this time around was rather bad. Suarez aside (whom we were already in advance stage of negotiation when Dalglish was appointed -- correct me if I'm wrong here), if Brendan have the £85M today, I trust that he could do a lot better? Open to moot of course, but I'm just saying!

I'll say Henderson could yet turned out to be rather decent, but at the time of his purchase, the £16~£18M that we paid was wayyyy over. He should be signed for £5~£6M at most but then again...  :no

Bellamy actually came back for a second stint and was signed by Dalglish and was one of our best players that season. Seems you've forgotten that. No idea why you're bringing up Alonso and Souness. And was it Dalglish that decided on the valuations? I'm sure all that was decided at board level. And Rodgers' signings so far have been a mixture of good and bad, so I'm not convinced he would spend the £85m any better.
Calum

Postby Greavesie » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:47 pm

Benny The Noon » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:24 pm wrote:Umm you do remember that Kenny also brought back Bellamy and Coates hasn't really had the chance to show much with us.

You said yourself our net spend is close to zero. He hasn't really had the shackles off yet, I'm hoping there's more reasons behind that than the owners being skint as fook

I'm not entirely certain what your motive is, are you negative towards the whole regime? BR and the owners?

You pasted the owners for saying they wouldn't splash all their own money into the club and now seem to be digging into BR for spending £80m having already pointed out that its balancing the books
Last edited by Greavesie on Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:50 pm, edited 5 times in total.
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Benny The Noon » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:48 pm

So you don't think Bellamy made an impact despite being key to us getting to Wembley.

As for BR signings - two so far have worked out - Sturridge and Coutinho - the rest have a long way to go yet
Benny The Noon

Postby Santa » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:52 pm

Calum » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:47 pm wrote:
Santa » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:16 pm wrote:
Calum » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:36 am wrote:I didn't say that you said all of Dalglish's signings were bad. I was pointing out they weren't all bad! Not putting words in your mouth at all. You're getting angry for no reason. YOU should spend more time reading carefully.

And here I am pointing out to you all his big ticket purchases didn't worked out, and you brought up Enrique (yes he is half decent)....so since you called an Enrique (£6M), I'll see you and raise you a Coates (£7M)...how about that?!?  :D  What I'm merely pointing out here is the big picture of the unfortunate track record of Kenny signings,and the huge losses we've suffered as a results, not trying to debate if any particular player is any good, or not. In fact iirc Enrique was his cheapest purchase? so there you go...

btw. Bellamy was signed and sold by Rafa so what's he gotta do with Kenny? or are you gonna bring in Alonso and Souness and tell me they are not that bad too?

Look I'm not here to argue over something that happened years ago...but you've got to agreed that KK's track record this time around was rather bad. Suarez aside (whom we were already in advance stage of negotiation when Dalglish was appointed -- correct me if I'm wrong here), if Brendan have the £85M today, I trust that he could do a lot better? Open to moot of course, but I'm just saying!

I'll say Henderson could yet turned out to be rather decent, but at the time of his purchase, the £16~£18M that we paid was wayyyy over. He should be signed for £5~£6M at most but then again...  :no

Bellamy actually came back for a second stint and was signed by Dalglish and was one of our best players that season. Seems you've forgotten that. No idea why you're bringing up Alonso and Souness. And was it Dalglish that decided on the valuations? I'm sure all that was decided at board level. And Rodgers' signings so far have been a mixture of good and bad, so I'm not convinced he would spend the £85m any better.

I've forgotten about the resigning of Bellamy (on a FREE transfer) and him not making much impact...I apologise for that  :nod

I have comment on BR signing todate on another thread and apart for the £10M spent on Borini, he has not made too big £ c0ck-up as yet...fingers & toes crossed!

Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Santa » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:54 pm

Benny The Noon » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:48 pm wrote:So you don't think Bellamy made an impact despite being key to us getting to Wembley.

WOW...let's sign up the entire Wigan team then  :no

Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:57 pm

Greavesie » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:47 pm wrote:
Benny The Noon » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:24 pm wrote:Umm you do remember that Kenny also brought back Bellamy and Coates hasn't really had the chance to show much with us.

You said yourself our net spend is close to zero. He hasn't really had the shackles off yet, I'm hoping there's more reasons behind that than the owners being skint as fook

I'm not entirely what you're motive is, are you negative towards the whole regime? BR and the owners?

Well I don't think the owners have the know how to make us successful , I don't they realise what is needed in modern football. They seem to have put all their eggs into an FFP basket. So far their descisions have been suspect both on the field in terms of managerial choice and off the field in the boardroom and others.

They have been owners in our worst period on the pitch in decades. I also worry where the money we earn is going ? Is it still paying off debts ? Into a fund for the stadium ?

And then there is the stadium - nearly 3 years they have been here and it's been no movement just words.

We have Werner claiming we can match any club in football financially in the transfer market, there is the snub of Kenny at the FA Cup final. They are invisible to us yet constantly at the Red Sox ( which I think is their priority )

They bought and got us away from two cowboys who risked the club financially by taking out loans against us but I think they are risking us on the pitch. It appears we have a "mid table" attitude and it reflects with our actions and results.
Benny The Noon

Postby friendlyguy33 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:08 pm

Downing hasn't been a £20 million player for us since he joined even with the improvement in his form last season.

That said to drop to £6 million or even £8 million in two years is too big a drop particularly if nobody is coming in to replace him and with Assaidi going to QPR on loan.
friendlyguy33

Postby Calum » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:12 pm

I've forgotten about the resigning of Bellamy (on a FREE transfer) and him not making much impact...I apologise for that  :nod

I have comment on BR signing todate on another thread and apart for the £10M spent on Borini, he has not made too big £ c0ck-up as yet...fingers & toes crossed!

Not much of an impact?! Bellamy was one of our best players that season! And what about Joe Allen, Assaidi and Sahin? None of them are/were any better than Adam, Downing & Henderson. We could argue about this all day, but I really don't see the point.
Calum

Postby Santa » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:29 pm

Calum » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:12 pm wrote:

Not much of an impact?! Bellamy was one of our best players that season! And what about Joe Allen, Assaidi and Sahin? None of them are/were any better than Adam, Downing & Henderson. We could argue about this all day, but I really don't see the point.

£2M for Assaidi (loved his skill set tho but haven't seen too much of him otherwise) and Sahin was on loan, so surely they are worth a bet or two? Allen is not a total loss but I cannot agree with the £15M price tag too...but I guessed BR specifically requested for Allen hence they get him signed up early

Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Doeboy » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:13 pm

Can't believe this waster is still with us. If he is still come the end of the window, I will be seriously ***** off
Doeboy

Postby damjan193 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:36 am

Well I don't want us to sell him, but if we are selling him then we certainly must be looking for a better replacement, right? So that's not a bad thing.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Kenny Kan » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:01 am

Sky Sports understands Liverpool midfielder Stewart Downing is set to undergo a medical at West Ham.

The England winger looks set to end a somewhat troubled two-year spell with Liverpool having joined from Aston Villa for around £20million.

The 29-year-old was told last season that he was surplus to requirements by boss Brendan Rodgers, before battling his way into his plans.

But now after just 65 league games for the club, he looks set to depart with West Ham closing in on a deal.

Sky Sports understands that a £5million deal has been agreed and Downing is due in London on Monday to undergo a medical.

Should the deal be finalised, Downing will link up with Andy Carroll - who finalised his permanent move from Anfield earlier this summer.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby Aussie Style » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:14 am

A loss of £15 million in a few years, but happy to have him off the books. Shouldn't be too difficult to upgrade on his position (here's hoping anyway)
Aussie Style
LFC Super Member

Postby parchpea » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:29 am

Mistake from day one and another Comolli/Dalglish player out and wouldn't be surprised to
see Henderson join the club in the not too distant future (just hanging by a thread imo) with
Enrique seemingly doomed also at this point.

Its the right decision to move Downing on, but its one thing letting players go and another
replacing them, and my concern is we don't seem that adept at pulling off the real big deals
and that has change in the next few weeks if we are going to make significant progress this
season.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion