STEWART DOWNING - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Santa » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:59 am

Calum » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:11 pm wrote:
Santa » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:47 am wrote:Unfortunately King Kenny did lost his midas touch this time around and we have washed some £50M or so down the toilet, and set us back some 5 years or so. Don't think anyone is willing to pay a high transfer fee for Downing not with his £90K/week salary, which is ridiculous tbh.

So it's £15M on Downing, £20M on Carroll, £3M on Adam and the jury is still out so far as Henderson is concern. Don't think anyone will pay more than £8M for him at the going rate so these are £40M actual loss and £10M paper loss, plus all the salaries in just a few short year...any owners will be livid, I know I would.

Wondering where you're getting the £50m figure from. A big profit is expected of Suarez which would pull back around half of that. And Enrique and Bellamy were decent signings. Not all of Kenny's signings were bad.

Where and when have I mentioned all of Dalglish's signings are rubbish...it will help if you bothered to read carefully before putting words in my mouth  :veryangry

Also when you add in the salaries that this lot takes in while sitting on the bench or on treatment table, £50M is a conservative figure. Not sure Suarez was Dalglish's signing but he did join when Dalglish took over. With the kind of money he's got in his war chest, we should have a much much better return, instead we drop out of sight.
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:12 am

Drop out of sight ???

Well before the signings we had finished 7th/6th in previous seasons - so whilst we didnt get the impacted we wanted from such a big spend - dropping out of sight would mean we were in sight before the signings
Benny The Noon

Postby C-R » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:23 am

I think we would be far better off keeping Downing than letting him leave for the reported 6-7 million

even as part of a squad he is a nice option to have, he is settled into the team now and has offered a fair bit in pre season
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Calum » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:36 am

Santa » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:59 am wrote:
Calum » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:11 pm wrote:
Santa » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:47 am wrote:Unfortunately King Kenny did lost his midas touch this time around and we have washed some £50M or so down the toilet, and set us back some 5 years or so. Don't think anyone is willing to pay a high transfer fee for Downing not with his £90K/week salary, which is ridiculous tbh.

So it's £15M on Downing, £20M on Carroll, £3M on Adam and the jury is still out so far as Henderson is concern. Don't think anyone will pay more than £8M for him at the going rate so these are £40M actual loss and £10M paper loss, plus all the salaries in just a few short year...any owners will be livid, I know I would.

Wondering where you're getting the £50m figure from. A big profit is expected of Suarez which would pull back around half of that. And Enrique and Bellamy were decent signings. Not all of Kenny's signings were bad.

Where and when have I mentioned all of Dalglish's signings are rubbish...it will help if you bothered to read carefully before putting words in my mouth  :veryangry

Also when you add in the salaries that this lot takes in while sitting on the bench or on treatment table, £50M is a conservative figure. Not sure Suarez was Dalglish's signing but he did join when Dalglish took over. With the kind of money he's got in his war chest, we should have a much much better return, instead we drop out of sight.

I didn't say that you said all of Dalglish's signings were bad. I was pointing out they weren't all bad! Not putting words in your mouth at all. You're getting angry for no reason. YOU should spend more time reading carefully.
Calum

Postby devaney » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:50 am

Callum I think Santa was simply looking at the actual and potential losses for the following players that haven't set the world on fire. Carroll (loss £20m), Downing (potential loss £15m), Henderson (potential loss £10M) and Adam (loss £3m). That little lot which doesn't make good reading is close to £50m ignoring the millions they have been paid in wages. I know all clubs make mistakes in the transfer market. Trying to buy English players has cost the club a lot of money and certainly did not move us forward.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby LFC1990 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:54 am

We will not lose anything on Henderson. I hope he finishes his career with us as along with Coutinho and Sturridge they will be at the front of bringing this team forawrd

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:00 pm

Henderson have proved himself to be a good buy who will only get better as the years go by. Not sure why he keeps being referred to in any list about poor signings by the club.
Benny The Noon

Postby Kenny Kan » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:02 pm

Henderson's decent. By no means the finished product and well overrated by many Reds.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby LFC1990 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:03 pm

Kenny Kan » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:02 pm wrote:Henderson's decent. By no means the finished product and well overrated by many Reds.

I personally think he is underrated

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby Kenny Kan » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:10 pm

LFC1990 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:03 am wrote:
Kenny Kan » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:02 pm wrote:Henderson's decent. By no means the finished product and well overrated by many Reds.

furry muff.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby devaney » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:18 pm

Kenny Kan » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:10 am wrote:
LFC1990 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:03 am wrote:

furry muff.

Totally agree. I think Henderson has improved dramatically but he still has a very long way to go. He was not necessarily a bad buy and I have never said that in recent times. The point is if he was sold now it is very unlikely that we would get anything like what we paid for him and that is why I think he has been included in the potential £50m loss on four selected players.

Anyway this is somebody else's debate...........
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby Penguins » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:26 pm

Henderson may have improved but a 16 million man he is not. Not only was he worth maybe 5 million when we bought him, he also was constantly played no matter how garbage he was.
That is just as big of a sin as paying 16 million for him.
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby Santa » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:16 pm

Calum » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:36 am wrote:I didn't say that you said all of Dalglish's signings were bad. I was pointing out they weren't all bad! Not putting words in your mouth at all. You're getting angry for no reason. YOU should spend more time reading carefully.

And here I am pointing out to you all his big ticket purchases didn't worked out, and you brought up Enrique (yes he is half decent)....so since you called an Enrique (£6M), I'll see you and raise you a Coates (£7M)...how about that?!?  :D  What I'm merely pointing out here is the big picture of the unfortunate track record of Kenny signings,and the huge losses we've suffered as a results, not trying to debate if any particular player is any good, or not. In fact iirc Enrique was his cheapest purchase? so there you go...

btw. Bellamy was signed and sold by Rafa so what's he gotta do with Kenny? or are you gonna bring in Alonso and Souness and tell me they are not that bad too?

Look I'm not here to argue over something that happened years ago...but you've got to agreed that KK's track record this time around was rather bad. Suarez aside (whom we were already in advance stage of negotiation when Dalglish was appointed -- correct me if I'm wrong here), if Brendan have the £85M today, I trust that he could do a lot better? Open to moot of course, but I'm just saying!

I'll say Henderson could yet turned out to be rather decent, but at the time of his purchase, the £16~£18M that we paid was wayyyy over. He should be signed for £5~£6M at most but then again...  :no
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:24 pm

Umm you do remember that Kenny also brought back Bellamy and Coates hasn't really had the chance to show much with us.

Oh and BR has spent close to £80mil now
Benny The Noon

Postby ethanr » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:37 pm

Benny The Noon » Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:00 am wrote:Henderson have proved himself to be a good buy who will only get better as the years go by. Not sure why he keeps being referred to in any list about poor signings by the club.

I don't get it.  His first season was absolutely rough (as could be expected from a 20 year old), but I thought he was really good last season.  People say nowhere near his finished product- absolutely not, he'll be much better.  I see him as Gerrard's replacement if BR could stop being bias towards Allen and give Hendo the time he deserves.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion