STEWART DOWNING - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Kenny Kan » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:45 am

You sell players who are surplus to requirements it's that simple.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:51 am

Did we have a proven CB in place ?

Downing isn't surplus to requirements - when players prove themselves to be more effective than him then he will become surplus.
Benny The Noon

Postby Kenny Kan » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:01 am

Benny The Noon » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:51 am wrote:Did we have a proven CB in place ?

Downing isn't surplus to requirements - when players prove themselves to be more effective than him then he will become surplus.

If the manager says he is (surplus to requirements), he is, whether you like it or not.

And new players may not need to prove themselves in order to sell Downing where Rodgers' discretion is concerned, whether you like it or not.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby devaney » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:17 am

I would happily take the risk of selling Downing for £7/8m and buying a younger replacement for the same price. The reason we have lost £20m on Carroll and potentially £12m on Downing is quite simple. Neither of them are up to the job. Yes they can play but they are not top four footballers. Just how much of a risk would it be to sell Downing? His first 15 months at LFC were extremely poor and very few people would argue with that. I accept that he improved after being told by BR in December that if he didn't like the way he was being treated he could go.His improvement was helped more than just a little by the arrival of PC and Danny.He is not the answer and we are kidding ourselves if we think he is.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:17 am

Kenny Kan » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:01 am wrote:
Benny The Noon » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:51 am wrote:Did we have a proven CB in place ?

If the manager says he is (surplus to requirements), he is, whether you like it or not.

And new players may not need to prove themselves in order to sell Downing where Rodgers' discretion is concerned, whether you like it or not.

Has the manager said he is surplus to requirements ?
Benny The Noon

Postby Kenny Kan » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:19 am

Benny The Noon » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:17 am wrote:

Did I say he had?

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:25 am

devaney » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:17 am wrote:I would happily take the risk of selling Downing for £7/8m and buying a younger replacement for the same price. The reason we have lost £20m on Carroll and potentially £12m on Downing is quite simple. Neither of them are up to the job. Yes they can play but they are not top four footballers. Just how much of a risk would it be to sell Downing? His first 15 months at LFC were extremely poor and very few people would argue with that. I accept that he improved after being told by BR in December that if he didn't like the way he was being treated he could go.His improvement was helped more than just a little by the arrival of PC and Danny.He is not the answer and we are kidding ourselves if we think he is.

He isn't being called the answer - and it's fine for people to say they "would happily " take the risk - I'm guessing would they still be happy when the youngster doesn't settle.

As for Downings 15 months - in his first 12 months he helped the club win its first trophy in 6 years and to get to a final of another - but was disappointing in the league.

The next season he didnt play in the prem much - mainly sat on the bench and was predominantly used in the Europa Lge - which he helped the club achieve qualification to the knockout stages. He was then given a chance in the prem and he helped us improve our form dramatically in the prem.

Downing wouldn't be the first professional footballer to take time to settle into a club - plenty players far more talented than Downing have struggled in the first couple of seasons.

Downing isn't a problem - he provides an outlet on the pitch and creates chances - yes it would be great to improve the output but we have bigger problems - our CB's performed worse than Downing last season - our full backs also. Lets look to improve them
Benny The Noon

Postby Kenny Kan » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:27 am

devaney » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:17 am wrote:I would happily take the risk of selling Downing for £7/8m and buying a younger replacement for the same price. The reason we have lost £20m on Carroll and potentially £12m on Downing is quite simple. Neither of them are up to the job. Yes they can play but they are not top four footballers. Just how much of a risk would it be to sell Downing? His first 15 months at LFC were extremely poor and very few people would argue with that. I accept that he improved after being told by BR in December that if he didn't like the way he was being treated he could go.His improvement was helped more than just a little by the arrival of PC and Danny.He is not the answer and we are kidding ourselves if we think he is.

agreed.

Like I said, if Rodgers sees him as surplus then it's his prerogative to sell him irrespective of the players already here.
Last edited by Kenny Kan on Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:30 am

Kenny Kan » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:19 am wrote:
Benny The Noon » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:17 am wrote:

Did I say he had?

You were talking about "selling Downing" because you sell players that are surplus to requirements - for the sake of going around in circles you appear to be suggesting that Downing will be surplus to requirements and have informed me that only the manager knows that - so a bit of clarification to save the tit for tat.
Benny The Noon

Postby Kenny Kan » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:39 am

You were talking about "selling Downing" because you sell players that are surplus to requirements - for the sake of going around in circles you appear to be suggesting that Downing will be surplus to requirements and have informed me that only the manager knows that - so a bit of clarification to save the tit for tat.

If Rodgers sees him as surplus to requirements, irrespective of the players here then that is his prerogative, like it or not.

And if Rodgers decided this, I'd agree with it.

If it were to happen, we're not trying to replace an Anfield great, there is little risk involved what with the talent we have and the players coming in to worry about the right time to sell Downing.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:24 am

And if BR decides he still needs Downing to provide a squad option and to help other players settle into the club for a season then I agree with that situation.

There wasnt apparent risk with losing Kuyt , Maxi and Bellamy last summer and it proved to be a risk that hurt us.
Benny The Noon

Postby Kenny Kan » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:12 pm

Benny The Noon » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:24 am wrote:And if BR decides he still needs Downing to provide a squad option and to help other players settle into the club for a season then I agree with that situation.

But you didn't say this initially, your argument was this: when players prove themselves to be more effective than him then he will become surplus but has Rodgers shown any indication that this is actually the case, no especially if we look at your next quote below.

There wasnt apparent risk with losing Kuyt , Maxi and Bellamy last summer and it proved to be a risk that hurt us.

There wasn't a risk? I beg to differ. Three players not one for starters, who played in various positions and all contributed to the side more than Downing.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:16 pm

Well then we will differ - there was a risk last summer and it backfired and getting rid of Downing without a proven replacement will be a risk as well. Would prefer to keep him in the squad whilst players like Borini and Aspas ( both not natural wide men ) prove themselves. Downing is currently our only true natural wide player.
Benny The Noon

Postby Kenny Kan » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:18 pm

Rodgers' system doesn't require an orthodox wing man. So that's a straw-man argument.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:22 pm

Yet he had an orthodox wide man playing in the system last season once he tinkered his system.
Benny The Noon

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion