STEWART DOWNING - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby ethanr » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:42 pm

He'd actually be good for Fulham I feel.  His pace would make up for Berbatov's lack of movement, but Berbatov can score if given a good ball, which Downing is capable of doing.  Despite people's tendency to say he's *****, he does put a lot of decent balls into the box and creates opportunities (as opta shows, one of the top 15 in the league in chances created only behind Luis and Stevie in our squad).  I think he'd also compliment Ruiz really well.  Ruiz is a decent player.  Maybe even catch Riise with those runs down the back he likes to do.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:44 pm

i`d have that ruiz who is very under rated, but after we f##ked up their entire pre-season and unsettled their top scorer to the extent he moved to spurs i cant see fulham wanting to sell us one of their best players.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby the return of HAS » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:44 pm

It’s looking increasing likely that Downing will be leaving permanently this summer with Christian Atsu of Porto and Iago Aspas replacing him as left footers who can play on the right. Downing doesn’t score enough goals or get enough assists to warrant a place in a 4-3-3 and it sounds like he is sitting on quite a lucrative contract. Would be a result if a club took him on a permanent deal.
"We’ve got a lot of Cockneys in the team, but really, it doesn’t matter where they’re from – we’re all playing for Liverpool.” Robbie Fowler
the return of HAS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:14 pm

Letting Downing go without a proven replacement would be silly -
Benny The Noon

Postby Thommo's perm » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:08 pm

the return of HAS » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:44 pm wrote:It’s looking increasing likely that Downing will be leaving permanently this summer with Christian Atsu of Porto and Iago Aspas replacing him as left footers who can play on the right. Downing doesn’t score enough goals or get enough assists to warrant a place in a 4-3-3 and it sounds like he is sitting on quite a lucrative contract. Would be a result if a club took him on a permanent deal.

Him going would be a step in the right direction
:nod
Thommo's perm

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:07 am

the return of HAS » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:44 pm wrote:It’s looking increasing likely that Downing will be leaving permanently this summer with Christian Atsu of Porto and Iago Aspas replacing him as left footers who can play on the right. Downing doesn’t score enough goals or get enough assists to warrant a place in a 4-3-3 and it sounds like he is sitting on quite a lucrative contract. Would be a result if a club took him on a permanent deal.

so the cost of our new `starting XI` wingers will add up to the grand total of £10m?
pushing the boat out there arent we?
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby maguskwt » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:50 am

If downing is going, I must say I'm kinda pleasantly surprised with BR's ruthlessness... to be honest, downing doesn't do enough in the team and needs replacing...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kenny Kan » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:04 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:07 pm wrote:

so the cost of our new `starting XI` wingers will add up to the grand total of £10m?
pushing the boat out there arent we?

Don't let price fool you.

Downing cost us 20 mil, Coutinho 8 mil. If price was a true indicator those two prices would be reversed.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:13 am

You let the experienced prem players go when you have proven players to replace them. Both Atsu and Aspas have proven nothing in the prem yet - You keep Downing until those guys show they can do it. Obviously most people just want him gone as quickly as possible but we can't do what we did last summer and leaves ourselves short. Downing spent the last 6 months playing well for us - he earned more chance through his form - we sell him if we get a proven replacement not just to get rid
Benny The Noon

Postby Kenny Kan » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:25 am

He's not holding the team together, he won't be a massive loss, therefore the risk factor in bringing in someone new is minimal - the team won't crumble without our experienced hider.

IF an offer comes in it shouldn't matter when, if it's right, get rid.

All in my opinion of course.  :D

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby laza » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:38 am

Kenny Kan » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:25 pm wrote:He's not holding the team together, he won't be a massive loss, therefore the risk factor in bringing in someone new is minimal - the team won't crumble without our experienced hider.

All very true and I certainly sell, however what happened to this local product quota thingy?
I thought one of bonus of signing Adams,Downing, Hendo and Carroll a couple of seasons ago was they are homegrown.
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kenny Kan » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:07 am

laza » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:38 am wrote:
Kenny Kan » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:25 pm wrote:He's not holding the team together, he won't be a massive loss, therefore the risk factor in bringing in someone new is minimal - the team won't crumble without our experienced hider.

All very true and I certainly sell, however what happened to this local product quota thingy?
I thought one of bonus of signing Adams,Downing, Hendo and Carroll a couple of seasons ago was they are homegrown.

Good question. I have no idea  :D

We still have Sterling, Wisdom, Kelly, Johnson, Henderson, Gerrard etc etc I don't know how many have to be in the squad, it seems to go out the window when sides like Citeh and Chelsea field united nations.  :Oo:

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:07 am

There is still a local/home grown quota thing but think we are covered with youngsters

Last season BR let all the experienced players go and they werent replaced and we relied on kids - they did ok but faded - it was then that Downing was brought back into the team and our performances ( and his ) improved - he was part of a front three that produced quality performances.

Atsu is a youngster , Aspas is unproven , Borini is made of glass - none of then have proved anything in the prem and we need to keep the squad depth. It only takes a couple of injuries and players not hitting the ground running and we start to struggle - Downing provides the insurance - someone to act as the buffer and someone that can play whilst the others settle. We are possibly already starting without Sturridge , likely that Suarez will leave so that's two out of the 4 up front/high - add in Downing and that just leaves Coutinho - more mass changes that take half a season to settle. Silly.
Benny The Noon

Postby Kenny Kan » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:12 am

Our results improved because of the impacts of Sturridge and Coutinho.

We also have the small issue of wages to consider. It's all fine saying we need to keep blah blah but if there is 3 potential players vying for that position then financially it's not a good idea to clog that up with a 4th who is at best ordinary.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:24 am

We have three unproven players via for the position - one 20year old kid not bought yet , one player who spent a year at us already and disappointed and spent most of the time injured and another 25year who is unproven.

Downing at best maybe ordinary but he has at least proven himself to be more than useful in the prem over the last decade.

Downing had an impact from Jan - that's why he played week in week out and at times ahead of Sturridge.

Downing should leave when a player proves himself or we buy someone who is proven - not selling just to get rid because people don't like him and judge him on his first season.
Benny The Noon

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion