Stevies trial - found not guilty of affray

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby LFC2007 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:16 pm

Igor Zidane wrote:The simple fact is that the lad is a manc and so derserves a good hiding for that aloan .

'...said the judge in his summing up  :D
LFC2007

Postby Redman in wales » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:47 pm

from bbc:

Gerrard 'sorry' over fight in bar

England midfielder Steven Gerrard has told Liverpool Crown Court he is "sorry" about a fight in which he punched a man in a Merseyside bar.

The Liverpool FC captain has admitted hitting Marcus McGee, 34, in the Lounge Inn, Southport, in December last year but said he was defending himself.

But Mr Gerrard added: "I am certainly mistaken in thinking he was coming towards me to throw punches at me."

The 29-year-old footballer, of Formby, Merseyside, denies affray.

Mr Gerrard was drinking with friends in the early hours of 29 December last year to celebrate Liverpool's 5-1 win over Newcastle United.

"I certainly knew I had had a drink," said Mr Gerrard, who estimated he was seven out of 10 on a drunkenness scale.

"I was certainly in control of how I felt in my surroundings," he told the court.

Mr Gerrard said he was given permission by the club manageress to choose music from a stereo Mr McGee was operating.

The footballer said he and Mr McGee had an argument for four or five seconds and then he walked away, but returned a few minutes later.

Mr Gerrard said it was a heated discussion with Mr McGee and explained that he wanted to "smooth things over".

'Lot of mither'

But Mr Gerrard told the court he felt he had to hit Mr McGee to defend himself.

"It was very difficult at the time to explain to police why I did throw that first punch.

"We were arguing and I told the police I felt that Marcus came towards me and that's why I raised my arms.

"I firmly believed Marcus came towards me to hit me."

Mr Gerrard described raising his left arm and swinging it towards Mr McGee, making contact with him with his wrist.

He said: "I grabbed the back of his jumper as he moved forward to me.

"When I had hold of Marcus, I remember swinging my right hand two or three times."

In Mr McGee's evidence to the court, he said he did not know that John Doran, a friend of Mr Gerrard, had thrown the first punch.

Mr Gerrard reiterated that he was unaware that Doran, 29, had lashed out and therefore, when Mr McGee came towards him, he thought he was in danger. Asked how he felt now about hitting Mr McGee, Gerrard said: "I am certainly mistaken in thinking he was coming towards me to throw punches at me.

"Now I know, obviously, he had been struck, reacted and thought the strike was by me and he came into me and that's when I reacted.

"I am sorry about the whole incident."

The court heard earlier that Mr Gerrard had not been in any kind of trouble with the police since he was banned from the roads for nine months for drinking and driving when he was 19.

The footballer told the court that he suffered "a lot of mither" in bars and other places such as shopping centres and restaurants.

"For example, because I am a footballer, sometimes I get supporters coming up to me, be they Liverpool fans or Everton or Manchester United fans, and sometimes the comments can be derogatory or insulting.

"So I try to deal with it in the best way I can."

Character references for Mr Gerrard, provided by former Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish and the club's chaplain the Reverend Bill Bygroves, were read out to the jury.

Mr Dalglish said the midfielder was "very responsible" and "humble".

Mr Bygroves said: "Steven is a terrific ambassador for our club and city."

-----

he's obviously claiming his actions were a result of self defence... but some of the things he's admitting to could see a guilty verdict if the jury take them in a different way to what stevie intends....
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:04 pm

Redman in wales wrote:from bbc:

Gerrard 'sorry' over fight in bar

England midfielder Steven Gerrard has told Liverpool Crown Court he is "sorry" about a fight in which he punched a man in a Merseyside bar.

The Liverpool FC captain has admitted hitting Marcus McGee, 34, in the Lounge Inn, Southport, in December last year but said he was defending himself.

But Mr Gerrard added: "I am certainly mistaken in thinking he was coming towards me to throw punches at me."

The 29-year-old footballer, of Formby, Merseyside, denies affray.

Mr Gerrard was drinking with friends in the early hours of 29 December last year to celebrate Liverpool's 5-1 win over Newcastle United.

"I certainly knew I had had a drink," said Mr Gerrard, who estimated he was seven out of 10 on a drunkenness scale.

"I was certainly in control of how I felt in my surroundings," he told the court.

Mr Gerrard said he was given permission by the club manageress to choose music from a stereo Mr McGee was operating.

The footballer said he and Mr McGee had an argument for four or five seconds and then he walked away, but returned a few minutes later.

Mr Gerrard said it was a heated discussion with Mr McGee and explained that he wanted to "smooth things over".

'Lot of mither'

But Mr Gerrard told the court he felt he had to hit Mr McGee to defend himself.

"It was very difficult at the time to explain to police why I did throw that first punch.

"We were arguing and I told the police I felt that Marcus came towards me and that's why I raised my arms.

"I firmly believed Marcus came towards me to hit me."

Mr Gerrard described raising his left arm and swinging it towards Mr McGee, making contact with him with his wrist.

He said: "I grabbed the back of his jumper as he moved forward to me.

"When I had hold of Marcus, I remember swinging my right hand two or three times."

In Mr McGee's evidence to the court, he said he did not know that John Doran, a friend of Mr Gerrard, had thrown the first punch.

Mr Gerrard reiterated that he was unaware that Doran, 29, had lashed out and therefore, when Mr McGee came towards him, he thought he was in danger. Asked how he felt now about hitting Mr McGee, Gerrard said: "I am certainly mistaken in thinking he was coming towards me to throw punches at me.

"Now I know, obviously, he had been struck, reacted and thought the strike was by me and he came into me and that's when I reacted.

"I am sorry about the whole incident."

The court heard earlier that Mr Gerrard had not been in any kind of trouble with the police since he was banned from the roads for nine months for drinking and driving when he was 19.

The footballer told the court that he suffered "a lot of mither" in bars and other places such as shopping centres and restaurants.

"For example, because I am a footballer, sometimes I get supporters coming up to me, be they Liverpool fans or Everton or Manchester United fans, and sometimes the comments can be derogatory or insulting.

"So I try to deal with it in the best way I can."

Character references for Mr Gerrard, provided by former Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish and the club's chaplain the Reverend Bill Bygroves, were read out to the jury.

Mr Dalglish said the midfielder was "very responsible" and "humble".

Mr Bygroves said: "Steven is a terrific ambassador for our club and city."

-----

he's obviously claiming his actions were a result of self defence... but some of the things he's admitting to could see a guilty verdict if the jury take them in a different way to what stevie intends....

so basically what he is saying is yes I have smacked the MF but iI did it under the mistaken belief that I was under threat of being attacked and so he argues he does not have to required intention for whatever it is he has been charged with
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Igor Zidane » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:24 pm

Salty Sock wrote:
Igor Zidane wrote:Drama queens , the lot of yer . The simple fact is that the lad is a manc and so derserves a good hiding for that aloan . Twas a scuffle in an ale house that happens 100's of times a week up and down the country . Handbags is all it was , stevie will get a slap on the wrists.

This is the attitude that needs to change. It's counter-productive to our spirit and the honour we serve. The guy is another human being, irrespective of what team he chooses to support. Like any pool fanatic, I despise Man Utd as our bitter rivals, but I maintain my belief that so what you thinking, without Man utd you would choose to hate another team? I love to hate them in a friendly competitive way. Your attitude breeds violence and spreads a disgusting loathing for other human beings that love the SAME SPORT AS YOU. It's football, I'm a fan of this sport like you all, and more so of pool. It's this kind of talk that riles me up and nothing riles me up easily I'll have you badgering well know Queen Mister. Drop the hate and give something positive to the world, I have no room for violence in my heart, despite what some of ye's having it at me for.
Go to bed and think about it :(

Ok salty lad , i've slept on it and well he's still a manc c@nt that deserved a good kicking , silly tw@t should know better . Listen there's things in the story that won't make the public domain . Lets just say that i'm pretty confident that the horrible tw@t deserved all he got .
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:36 pm

Igor Zidane wrote:Listen there's things in the story that won't make the public domain . Lets just say that i'm pretty confident that the horrible tw@t deserved all he got .

Spot on .
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:06 pm

NANNY RED wrote:
Igor Zidane wrote:Listen there's things in the story that won't make the public domain . Lets just say that i'm pretty confident that the horrible tw@t deserved all he got .

Spot on .

:nod

Gerrard got his "retaliation"  in first.

Seems to me some in here have a problem with Stevie not waiting for some p'iss head to have a free swing at him .

F'ucking clueless.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Igor Zidane » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:22 pm

woof woof ! wrote:
NANNY RED wrote:

Spot on .

Seems to me some in here have a problem with Stevie not waiting for some p'iss head to have a free swing at him .

F'ucking clueless.

Is right woof , just because he's a footy player doesn't mean he's not human . I defy anyone who has to listen to what he does about his family and not retaliate at some time or another . The c unt deserved all he got .
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redbeergoggles » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:25 pm

Igor Zidane wrote:Drama queens , the lot of yer . The simple fact is that the lad is a manc and so derserves a good hiding for that aloan . Twas a scuffle in an ale house that happens 100's of times a week up and down the country . Handbags is all it was , stevie will get a slap on the wrists.

Exactly happens every week in the Blob  :D the lad gave out a couple of cracks he's only human ,probably an arrogant Manc they all need a jab from time to time.
redbeergoggles
LFC Super Member

Postby NANNY RED » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:37 pm

:laugh:  :laugh:
As Gerrard went into the witness box his barrister, John Kelsey-Fry QC, told the jury and public gallery: “Obviously, there is no need to give an introduction to the captain of Liverpool Football Club,
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:51 pm

Igor Zidane wrote:
woof woof ! wrote:
NANNY RED wrote:

Spot on .

F'ucking clueless.

Is right woof , just because he's a footy player doesn't mean he's not human . I defy anyone who has to listen to what he does about his family and not retaliate at some time or another . The c unt deserved all he got .

all of this is absolutely spot on  :nod
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby redhayesy » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:22 pm

spot on mate, but i'm not going to get involved any futher in this discussion as I WASN'T THERE!  an so don't know what fully happened,if any one on this forum was there that night an witnessed everything then please tell me different that it is just his word against stevie's end of. cctv does it show everything that happened that night from start to finish? an even if it does there is no sound on it so NO-ONE  knows for a fact what was said etc.

was tw@t faced cantona jailed for attacking a fan at a game-no, the reason he said the fan had insulted a member of his family as he was near him, does anyone know if stevie wasn't subjected to likewise abuse- cause unless you were there you cannot state otherwise.

the fecking tw@t is just after money,any compo will do as there is no concrete evidence that stevie started the brawl,ended the brawl or delibretly started any brawl. his evidence was that he threw a punch to avoid being attacked himself, in my book that is human reaction! it happens everywhere you go, propbally every night of the week. this case just shows how much fecked up our so called justice system is,cause while tw@ts will think they can get money from a situayion like this, it will continue to happen everywhere. the sooner this bu11sh1t case is cleared up an stevie can get back with the team,pre-pare for the new season the fecking better.

stevie will have to watch where he goes for a bevvy now after a game, which is sh1t when you can't go where you please for repreat of this situation happening again. an before anyone says he shouldn't be out enjoying himself etc in the first place-get real! the majority of players go out these days, it just depends on who you are-an if targeted etc, look at the david bentley incodent lately where he was attacked in a resturant with his pregnant fiance,he aledgely said that the only reason he didn't retaliate is cause he didn't get the chance,as the attacker ran off before he could do anything about it. stevie got a punch in before he was attacked,no different to i'm sure the reaction of most people on this forum if faced with the same sernario.

this case sucks IMHO an propably wont be the last case of this natrure, which really p1sses me off.
redhayesy
LFC Super Member

Postby bigmick » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:31 pm

I think the bit about the bloke coming at Gerrard after he'd been elbowed sounds very plausible. He's admitted himself he had no idea who'd elbowed him, and Gerrard has said he didn't know the bloke had been elbowed either. It all fits in, doesn't necessarily mean that's what actually happened, but who gives a feck. Smart move getting the other six lads to plead guilty whereas Stevie is innocently caught up in the whole thing. I like thw qy that Stevie always refers to the bloke as "Marcus" as well.

My money is on him walking. He'll well look after his six mates and so he should, and it wouldn't even surprise me if there's a photo with the DJ gadgie outside the court.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:38 pm

:laugh:  :laugh: i just got sent this ,

From Setanta News...

Steven Gerrard was today found guilty of causing affray. the judge has sentenced him to 180 hours of community service. He said he will spend it teaching people to play football.
He starts Monday morning at Goodison Park.

:laugh:  :laugh: Gonna text it to my son :nod
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redhayesy » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:57 pm

NANNY RED wrote: :laugh:  :laugh: i just got sent this ,

From Setanta News...

Steven Gerrard was today found guilty of causing affray. the judge has sentenced him to 180 hours of community service. He said he will spend it teaching people to play football.
He starts Monday morning at Goodison Park.

:laugh:  :laugh: Gonna text it to my son :nod

:laugh:   :laugh:  love it NR, however i think it would take more than 180 hours to teach them feckers! we need him back for the start of the season FFS. they are a lost cause in that respect. :D
redhayesy
LFC Super Member

Postby lakes10 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:06 pm

woof woof ! wrote:
NANNY RED wrote:

Spot on .

F'ucking clueless.

mate the law says you can not do that.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion