Stevie gerrard's fitness

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Wilhelmsson » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:42 pm

Sabre wrote:I agree the spirit of this post, although to be honest, I don't think Rafa will *have to* give him a vote of confidence, I think Gerrard will be at his best soon enough.

I haven't seen England matches and I can't have an opinion about them, in Liverpool, as much as I admit he's not been at his best, he's been far from being shíte or dire.

Sometimes, a player's bad performance is very related to how the team as a collective is playing. In some positions that's even more evident, for instance, I think it's very rare to highlight a winger like Pennant's game, when the collective is not playing well.

Sabre, you’re no doubt right here, but I don’t think it would hurt Benitez to show some support to this players, from what I have read of Rafa he wants players to motivate themselves.

I support this notion of not getting too attached, but Gerrard is a player who needs a pat on the back and words of encourage and the late Bill Shankly, used to provide it to his players and they conquered the British Isles.

Before you mention, that Shankly arrived almost fifty years ago, but humans haven’t changed? We all still go through emotional rollercoaster’s, and Gerrard is no different, a few words of encouragement from Rafa to deflated players won’t hurt.

I hope you are right and Gerrard gets back to his old self soon, but the team also need to improve too, it’s not fair or sensible just to single out Gerrard. Gerrard hasn’t done well for England recently, he has been influential though, but there are signs of a lack of confidence in his play and this needs to change.

You’re right players at times can play poorly when their team mates are too, I don’t know the crux of this, but I’d imagine it’s psychological as well as physical? As I have said, if Rafa can steady the ship, help the players get their confidence back then I am sure Gerrard and the rest of the players (lets not forget them) will get back to business.

This said, if Gerrard keeps having sub-standard performances, then I’d let him warm the bench for a few matches, if he dislikes it tough, if a player wants to play for this club, they have to pull their weight.
'There's Man Utd and Man City at the bottom of Division 1, and by God they'll take some shifting.' - Bill Shankly.
Wilhelmsson

Postby LittleHobo » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:19 pm

whats odd is our best performances this season have been without gerrard

discuss?
LittleHobo
LFC Super Member

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:27 pm

LittleHobo wrote:whats odd is our best performances this season have been without gerrard

discuss?

Our best RESULTS have been without Gerrard, our best performances were probably against Villa and Chelsea in both of which he was outstanding.

I don't think Derby in which we won 6 -0 was an outstanding performance, more Derby were very very poor that day.

I do appreciate that maybe there is an element of players stepping up when Gerrard doesn't play, but I know I would play Gerrard every game where possible.
account deleted by request

Postby Kharhaz » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:05 pm

I darent say anything ! Everytime I do I get killed for it ! With regards to Gerrard in any event ! Oh sod it, a few reserve matches would do stevie the world of good I reckon. Bring it back to him to what he had and what he now has. Worked for Rushy remember when he couldnt score? Souness dropped him for a couple of games and BANG he was back to his old self.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ConnO'var » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:28 am

s@int wrote:
Ace Ventura wrote:
ConnO'var wrote:Just saw the England match.... missus taped it for me.

Stevie was absolutely dire! Horror miss....

Wonder what's going on with him..... doesn't seem his usual self at the mo

Why would you do that after knowing the result  ???

I never watched the match as i was in work. Watched the highlights on BBC1 last night, his miss was poor and he should of scored, but other than that he looked ok to me.
He certainly looked up for it, throwing himself into tackles that had me shuddering thinking of Saturdays derby.
Obviously i only seen limited highlights and will accept if the majority say he played sh!te but hope that people arent just making there decisions based on that missed chance.

He worked really hard Ace but his touch and his passing seemed off and he looked a bit slow to me (no top gear). I think he's just lost confidence and form through struggling to play for England when he was injured and he should have been resting.

What he said ^, Ace....  :D

Stevie really tried but IMO, he's well below his best at the mo. Something seems to be bothering him and I hope to heaven it's the toe.... coz if it's something going on in his personal life, he'll take a long time to come back to the Stevie we all know.

As for watching the taped match... welllll..... been found out I guess... Theres not to much in the way of entertainment here in Qatar mate..... Nowhere to go to get smashed on me off days. In fact, besides fooling around with the wife, theres really not much to do here besides, work, going to the gym and watching TV. Thank god for satellite tv.

:D
ConnO'var

Postby ConnO'var » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:30 am

Lando_Griffin wrote:It appears to me that far too many Liverpool fans today have absolutely no patience whatsoever.

I admit I don't like Gerrard's attitude - never have done. He's not the sort of person I'd go for a pint with (and I would imagine I'm not his cup of tea, either).

But the fact is, rightly or wrongly, he is the Captain of this club, and as such, deserves a little more respect than simply "sell him".

I probably give him more stick than anyone on here, but that's because I've read his autobiography which, in my view, paints him as a complete prat, obsessed with England and his International loverboys Gary c*nting Neville, Fat b*stard Frank, and "JT".

However. I wouldn't want to see him playing anywhere else, and I want him to display the form which brought him 23 goals from the right-hand-side of midfield 18 months ago.

I have to say - anyone who wants to sell him, after he's affirmed his allegiances to this club, and has no release-clause in his contract (even though he HAS been well below par recently (and quite gash in certain matches)), needs shooting to death. 

That is all.

Good, balanced post .... 'cept for the shooting bit....  :D  :D  :D
ConnO'var

Postby Thingy » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:05 am

One thing I dont like people saying is that hes not playing that bad, its just with other class players now around him his work on the pitch isnt appreciated. Surely, if hes playing with better players, that will bring the best out of him? He should be at least look interested. Its about time he had a long hard look at himself. I dont know what it is, but hes not the Steven Gerrard we know, and hasnt been for a long time. Come on Stevie, get youre act together.
Thingy

Postby banana » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:59 pm

It is time for you all to realise that Gerrard is only one player out of many LFC players. He is not superior to other players in the squad. Right now he should probably not be in the first 11 based on what he has shown on the pitch lately.

Rafa made the correct decision when he took him off the pitch. Lucas played well when he came on. He distributed the ball better than the others and positioned himself wisely.

When Alonso and Agger return Liverpool will be a much stronger side as they are the best passers of the ball and the most creative and most clever ballplayers in the squad.

Now that Garrard and Mascherano have been playing in midfield Liverpool has been a poor team scoring few goals and keeping little possession.

Having Hyypia in the back has been a disaster since the back 4 has been dropping way back instead of pushing up and giving the midfielders the opportunity of winning the ball high up in the pitch.
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby redsince2001 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:03 pm

banana wrote:It is time for you all to realise that Gerrard is only one player out of many LFC players. He is not superior to other players in the squad. Right now he should probably not be in the first 11 based on what he has shown on the pitch lately.

Rafa made the correct decision when he took him off the pitch. Lucas played well when he came on. He distributed the ball better than the others and positioned himself wisely.

When Alonso and Agger return Liverpool will be a much stronger side as they are the best passers of the ball and the most creative and most clever ballplayers in the squad.

Now that Garrard and Mascherano have been playing in midfield Liverpool has been a poor team scoring few goals and keeping little possession.

Having Hyypia in the back has been a disaster since the back 4 has been dropping way back instead of pushing up and giving the midfielders the opportunity of winning the ball high up in the pitch.

yup ..agree with you
"we were a family club. There was no ‘them and us’ attitude, it was just ‘us’. "-Kenny Daglish
redsince2001
LFC Super Member

Postby Wilhelmsson » Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:16 pm

There Can Only be one boss at Liverpool - and Gerrard it's not you (author) Sir Bobby Robson

Bobby Robson has made many interesting points in his latest article, he pretty much states the obvious, but it’s refreshing to read a good article which serves as a reminder that Gerrard needs to be put in his place.
'There's Man Utd and Man City at the bottom of Division 1, and by God they'll take some shifting.' - Bill Shankly.
Wilhelmsson

Postby Kharhaz » Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:29 pm

Wilhelmsson wrote:There Can Only be one boss at Liverpool - and Gerrard it's not you (author) Sir Bobby Robson

Bobby Robson has made many interesting points in his latest article, he pretty much states the obvious, but it’s refreshing to read a good article which serves as a reminder that Gerrard needs to be put in his place.

Ive read better through this forum. After the everton match Gerrard didnt act like he was the boss he acknowledged that rafa is and accepted that no one is above the club.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Wilhelmsson » Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:34 pm

I dislike Gerrard’s attitude more than anything, he seems to think he has a divine right to know the goings on behind the scenes, he’s little more than a spoilt brat and good old Bobby highlighted this in his article.

If I was Benitez, I would deliberately leave Gerrard out of a crucial match, just to make a statement of intent. Gerrard storming to Rafa’s office to demand an explanation as to why he was subbed is an absolute joke IMO.

If I was Rafa, I would have slapped with him with a two week wage fine and sent him on his way.
Wilhelmsson

Postby Kharhaz » Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:39 pm

Wilhelmsson wrote:I dislike Gerrard’s attitude more than anything, he seems to think he has a divine right to know the goings on behind the scenes, he’s little more than a spoilt brat and good old Bobby highlighted this in his article.

If I was Benitez, I would deliberately leave Gerrard out of a crucial match, just to make a statement of intent. Gerrard storming to Rafa’s office to demand an explanation as to why he was subbed is an absolute joke IMO.

If I was Rafa, I would have slapped with him with a two week wage fine and sent him on his way.

Ive been as big a critic of gerrard of late than anyone but against everton he was showing signs of getting back to his best. When rafa subbed him he didnt act like a spoilt brat, he wasnt happy with it but no player is when they are subbed but at the end of the game he acted like a professional and was pleased we beat everton. Rafa should have subbed him in previous games when he wasnt playing well and he deserved an answer as to why he was subbed. As would any player who was showing signs of making an impact in a game. Its not the attitude of gerrard i dislike its his recent performances.
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redtrader74 » Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:43 pm

He did not storm to Rafa's office (Tabloid bolloc ks), and from direct quotes and interviews i have seen, SG took the substitution in good grace. As Captain he is within his rights to know the reasons why, for the managers decisions, or at least to ask why, he has to as he represents the Club and the manager, and unless he buys into the decisions it would be hard to sell them to the rest of the sqaud.

I'd think all top players (the ones who are first on the team sheet) would all ask the manager why they were not playing or subbed, if only to know where they were going wrong. In fact my only criticism of SG is that i think he comes across as a weak personality, a little fragile, i'd want him to ask why....at least it shows strength and passion.
redtrader74
LFC Super Member

Postby account deleted by request » Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:36 am

Benitez targets top-scorer Torres to solve problem
By JOE BERNSTEIN

Last updated at 23:29pm on 27th October 2007

Rafa Benitez is prepared to gamble on Fernando Torres today as he tries to get Liverpool's season back on track against Arsenal.

Benitez is ready to throw Torres straight into the firing line despite the £25million striker not having played since tearing an abductor muscle on duty for Spain three weeks ago.

Torres, Liverpool's top scorer this season with seven goals, missed Liverpool's midweek Champions League trip but has been involved in full training since the rest of the squad returned from Istanbul.

Benitez faces one of the most difficult team selections in his three years at the club with Jermaine Pennant joining Daniel Agger on the injured list while Torres and Xabi Alonso (metatarsal) are short of match-sharpness although they may be medically fit to play. The Liverpool manager is likely to turn to Yossi Benayoun to replace Pennant on the right-hand side to avoid another conflict with Steven Gerrard, who is happiest playing in the centre.

Benitez insisted yesterday that Gerrard has volunteered to play anywhere for the good of the team but the manager is unlikely to test him yet with Pennant out for the rest of the year with a stress fracture to his right tibia.

The Liverpool manager said: "Gerrard is playing in the middle at the moment. But we have had a conversation and if I need to do something, I will do it, no problem. He is OK.

"Before the Everton game last weekend, we spoke about possible situations and he was saying he could do different things. He was disappointed to be taken off but he came back strongly against Besiktas and was our best player."

Benitez is also worried about the number of games 34-yearold Sami Hyypia has had to play recently. The Finnish centre-half has scored own goals in his last two games but the manager is short of options at the back with 19-year-old rookie Jack Hobbs his other alternative to partner Jamie Carragher.

Peter Crouch could be given a rare part to play after scoring a hat-trick against Arsenal in the Premier League last season.
account deleted by request

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion