Stevie g - Position not an issue - team comes first

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby mattylfc » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:57 am

Article from the Daily Post - Oct 27th 06.

STEVEN GERRARD accepts he has to put aside personal preferences over his Liverpool position for the good of the team.

The captain has seen his own form criticised of late as the debate continues over whether he should be restored to his favourite central midfield role rather than the position on the right which manager Rafael Benitez wants him to play.

It is clear that Benitez is 'not for turning' on this issue and Gerrard is likely to be on the right of midfield for tomorrow's visit of unbeaten Aston Villa to Anfield.

And Gerrard says the manager knows what position he prefers, but he accepts without reservation where Benitez wants him to play for the good of the team.

Gerrard explained yesterday: "The position is not the issue.

"When you are a young player breaking through you want to play in your favourite position, you are desperate to get into the team.

"But I am 26 now, I have to think of the team first. If the manager needs me to do a job on the right or the left I have got to accept it.

"He knows where I would like to play but I also understand that there is a job to be done for the team and I need to do what the manager wants me to do.

"I have heard he has said the order of priority is 'team, club, supporters, players' and I agree with that. It is not about individual players, it is about the team.

"Last season we finished third in the league and we got 82 points, a club record, and we won the FA Cup. And 75% of the time I played on the right."

The England midfielder was talking after being heavily criticised for his performance in Sunday's 2-0 defeat at Manchester United, but few knew that in the 24 hours prior to that Old Trafford match he was at the hospital bedside of his six-month-old daughter, who had been taken ill with what was feared were symptoms similar to meningitis.

Gerrard, who confirmed that his daughter is now recovering, admitted it was hardly the best build-up to such a crucial match.

On his own form he says: "There has always been pressure on me since I have become captain of Liverpool and I can understand the criticism and take it on the chin.

"I know I am not playing at the standard I want to play at but I feel as if my best form is only around the corner. A little fluky goal or a big performance will turn my form around.

"I know I am a good player and good players have dips in form. And that is happening at the moment.

"Certain people expect me to go out every game and be man of the match and score from 30 yards, but it is impossible to do that at the level we are playing at. It's really difficult."

"I also understand when I am not playing to my own standards, and I can take the stick when it comes my way.

"I've had a couple of dips in form in my career so far, but this is the first one since Rafael Benitez has taken over.

"I had a couple of dips in form under Gerard Houllier and I came back a better player and a stronger character for it. Hopefully I will do the same again.

"I know my best form is just around the corner, I can feel it coming back in training."
mattylfc

Postby Geo » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:10 am

"But I am 26 now, I have to think of the team first"

and for the teams sake get back into the middle
Geo

Postby crouchaldinho » Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:03 pm

I glad he's come out and said that. Last season i thought Stevie was a revelation on the right wing, as the article says, he played 75% of his games last season on the right, and had arguably the best season of his career (form-wise) so far.

I say keep Stevie on the right, but the whole team needs to start performing at the level they were at last season.
crouchaldinho

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion