Steven gerrard - We salute you

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Leonmc0708 » Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:00 pm

So on the day when Liverpool Football Club and its captain needed to stand up and be counted, Stevie G and LFC have stuck a big two fingers up to Russian Millions and instead opted for loyalty, to the club, the fans and football in general.

The midfielder revealed that he had thought very seriously about leaving Anfield, he openly admited that the lure of Romans millions was strong. But on his return from England duty in Euro 2004, the Reds captain has come out and made it clear to the anxious fans that he is 100 percent focused on leading the Reds forward.

Now I know there will be plenty of you who having seen the press confrence are less than convinced of the lads enthusiasm, and I can understand you thinking that maybe just maybe the board have stood up and told him he is going nowhere. But try to remember what the lad has had to go thru over the last month or so.

He was staring at the contract that could have set him and his young family up for life. A contract that would have made him rich beyond his wildest dreams. I know if I was looking at those sorts of figures, my head would have been turned. And how many of you reading this could say any different?

This was not a decision taken lightly. In the last two months, Stevie has had four meetings with the Liverpool board. Now think about it, that means he must have had twice that amount with his agent and the same again with his girlfriend and family. That is 20 meetings, surely lasting half a day each, and this is all the time whilst the lad is trying to play football for his country in a major tournament.

Thankfuly the last meeting with Rick Parry and the board brought a positive response from Gerrard, who will be playing under a new manager next season in the shape of Rafa Benitez. The lad looked mentally drained, as he did in Portugal.

"I'd like to say the last three or four weeks have been very confusing for me," Gerrard remarked at the start of the press conference. That is the understatement of the year, and we know how you felt.

"I've been involved in a major tournament and that's the reason why I've been really quiet about my future." See the lad has obviously tried to do what is best for his country in all of this too. I personally think this was meant as an apology to the millions of Liverpool fans who have gone thru their own "confusing time".

People who have posted on here getting at Stevie and the club have themselves been confused. The Hustler will gloat, and John Bull will be baracked, but truthfully all of us have swung from one opinion to the other on numerous occasions.

"I haven't been happy with the progression of the club in the last three or four years, as I've made clear in the media, and, for the first time in my career, I thought about the possibility of moving on to a different club." I think this was very brave of Stevie to admit to. My personal estimation of the guy has gone up ten fold, and it was already pretty high. In truth non of us have been happy with the progression of the club for ten years.

"But, after coming home from Euro 2004, sitting down with my family and also asking Rick Parry for a fourth meeting in two months, and having time with my agent, close family, dad and girlfriend, I've decided I'm staying on at Liverpool." The words we have longed to hear. Bliss.

"I am 100 percent committed to this football club." Make no mistake about it, this is the truth. The lad could have doubled his wages, been made for life, and he has been man enough to admit he was considering it, yet he still chose to follow his heart, so this tells you of his commitment.

"A lot of things have been going through my head, and I will admit the possibility of leaving was one of these, but I've gone with the decision that was in my heart." Yes that is right, the lure of the lolly was there, but he has done as each of us would profess to doing in the situation.

"I love the club and the supporters and that's what it boiled down to at the end of the day." And we love you too Stevie. Our love and resolve was tested over the last few months, some of us, the weaker ones turned, but we standby our feelings, regret we thought it of you and back you all the way.

You are one of our own, and we will NEVER forget you for what you have done. For Liverpool Football Club, for us the loyal fans and for each and every homegrown talent at all levels of football.

Stevie G, we salute you.
Attachments

[The extension has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby madred » Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:42 pm

Cant help but also think that the appointment of Benitez did have a big part to play also by telling Stevie what his plans are and the kind of players that he wants to bring in? To say im delighted is a big understatement and im so proud of Stevie! Now lets hope Micheal commits also then i'll be raising a glass to the coming season.
madred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Mon Jun 28, 2004 11:21 pm

Well said Leon!

Still don't think money was the main factor when he was considering a move though.

It's a good day for LFC :)   :;):  :)
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Mon Jun 28, 2004 11:32 pm

I think the big factor was the potential for success,and under GH we knew and Steven Gerrard knew that it was damned impossible.The appointment of Benitez swung the lad back in our favour.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby fivecups » Mon Jun 28, 2004 11:35 pm

Agree with that, Stevie is ambitious and wants to challenge for silverware.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Mon Jun 28, 2004 11:36 pm

It was so nice to see him say that the club and supporters are in his heart and that what it boiled down to, I think that says it all, it's nice to see someone choose loyalty over money and I hope that football players will have a long had look at themselves after what Stevie said today!!!  :)
Last edited by Paul C on Mon Jun 28, 2004 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:46 am

I am the only one here who thought Stevie's Speech sounded a tad "Hollow" ? ???  Whats he done ? He's agreed to stay for another season and made it clear it's conditional on LFC being successful.

Don't get me wrong , I think he's superb and as important  player to LFC as any player for a number of years. Mayeb he felt a little silly at having his ear and his Bank balance "Swayed" by agents and it obviously being leaked ti the pres that he was consideringa  move away ........the player's been stitched up as far as possible with an agent with one eye on Stebie G and the other very grredy eye on his commission  ???

Good for Stevie that he saw sense and decided to stay at what after all is the THIRD most successful club in the last 5 years in the Prem despite Chelsea's dodgy money :angry:

Walk on ..........
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anfieldadorer » Tue Jun 29, 2004 4:40 am

compelementary to the article above
(Extracted from several articles):

Steven Gerrard has pledged his future to Liverpool Football Club, ending a week of speculation about a possible move to Chelsea. The club has announced the decision at a hastily-arranged press conference on Monday afternoon. With Gerrard's immediate future now assured, Rafael Benitez can concentrate on strengthening his squad and preparing for the new season. New Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez has been handed a massive boost in his bid to deliver the Premiership title after Steven Gerrard signaled his intention to stay.

Speculation had been rife that the 24-year-old midfielder, who almost single-handedly guided the club to a Champions League finish last season, was on his way out of Anfield is search of silverware. Big-spending Chelsea, backed by Roman Abramovich's million, were set to tempt the Reds with a £30million offer, with reports even suggesting that Damien Duff could be included in the package. However, Gerrard on Monday quashed the rumors and eased the fears of many a Liverpool fan.

Gerrard revealed he been contemplating leaving his hometown team - he was born and brought up in neighboring Huyton - and one where he had arrived as an eight-year-old. But he decided to remain close to his roots after talking things through with his close-knit family.

Liverpool chief executive Rick Parry believes Steven Gerrard's decision to stay with the Reds was one that came from the heart. He added that keeping the player at Anfield was a top priority: "It is slightly unusual today in that we are announcing that a player is not going anywhere but when that player is Steven Gerrard you will understand the significance.

Parry said: "We knew of Stevie's concerns and he is fiercely ambitious but this is a decision from the heart. Our manager Rafa Benitez spoke with Stevie when he was away with England and talked to him about his plans which Stevie was excited about.

"It is also important that Steven has the opportunity to explain his decision to our supporters. I have said many times in recent weeks that we didn't want to sell Steven. We would do our utmost to try to keep him."
"We are as ambitious as Stevie is and it is a great day for Liverpool Football Club." 

Rafael Benítez has made a stunning start to his reign as Liverpool's manager by convincing Steven Gerrard to turn his back on a potential British record transfer to Chelsea and pledge his future to the new regime at Anfield. The former Valencia manager's decision to fly to Portugal while England were still involved in Euro 2004 to talk his star midfielder round proved to be a shrewd one.
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby blind » Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:59 am

good to see he saw sence and i think part of the decision was down to the fact that he would have to come out and put in a transfer request as the only way the board would sanction letting him go and he felt that he could not be branded a traitor so has stayed.
But as Dalglish said he was not very sincere and i feel that he was more annoyed at getting caught trying to do one than he was commiting himself to the club.

Michaels turn next
http://www.footballbadgers.com

My eyes are blind but I can see, The snowflakes glisten on the tree(s) The sun no longer sets me free I feel the snowflakes freezing me.

BS vol 4
blind
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:33 am

steven gerrard may have committed himself to us for the forseeable future but if we're not successful in the next couple of seasons he'll still be off. this whole notion of "loving the club" will not stand up if we are not winning trophies. :(
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Leonmc0708 » Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:40 pm

There is nothing wrong with wanting to win stuff and acheive everything you possibly can.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:49 pm

next season when i'm sat in the kop i am going to start a new song in recognition of stevie g's decision to stay at the club.

Stevie G (To the tune of "Let it Be")

When we find ourselves in times of trouble, Stevie G runs past me, Playing the game with wisdom, Stevie G, And in my home, the Spion Kop, We watch him jog, right in front of me, Spreading balls with wisdom, Stevie G, Let it be, let it be, let it be, Stevie G, The local lad turned hero, Stevie G And when the jubilant Kopite people, All living in The Park agree, That we all know the answer, Stevie G, And although we may all be fooled, There is still a chance that we will see, The footballing phenomen, Stevie G, Let it be, let it be, let it be, Stevie G, Spreading balls with wisdom, Stevie G And when the night is cloudy, There is still a man that we all see, A young, committed Kopite, Stevie G, Playing to the sound of music, Stevie G runs past me, Playing the game with wisdom, Stevie G, Let it be, let it be, let it be, Stevie G, For we all know the answer, his name is Stevie G.

sing along folks! 

:D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby blind » Tue Jun 29, 2004 4:33 pm

very good will be there at the city game

My eyes are blind but I can see, The snowflakes glisten on the tree(s) The sun no longer sets me free I feel the snowflakes freezing me.

BS vol 4
blind
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Wed Jun 30, 2004 8:32 am

Thats an old one that St Michael.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby blind » Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:15 am

but the oldies are the goodies:D

BS vol 4
blind
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion