Steven gerrard - Box to box central midfielder

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby andy_g » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:00 am

Number 9 wrote:WTF is flawed??
How close to perfection do you people want? :cool:

ok baz - here's an example. you've seen that documentary about him just after the CL win, right? well you'll probably notice that he laughs like a girl.

:D

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thewaykokid » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:41 am

andy_g wrote:

ok baz - here's an example. you've seen that documentary about him just after the CL win, right? well you'll probably notice that he laughs like a girl.

If you can't amaze people with your intelligence, try confusing them with your :censored: :)
Thewaykokid

Postby Sabre » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:54 am

bigmick wrote:Good post Andy, don't agree with all of it but good post anyway. On the question though of him being "flawed", my take is that you can say that for every footballer.

Exactly.

I agree most of Andy G says on Gerrard, but perhaps "he's flawed" or "he hinders us" sounds harsher than my own idea: He's very good, he's the best player of LFC, one of the best in history of LFC, we have some silverware thanks to him, one of the best in the whole world right now, I mean all that.

*But*

He could be even better and the departments in which he could be better have been mentioned by Andy G. Obviously I wouldn't say he hinders us because when I put in the balance what he provides I cannot talk about hindering, but I certainly think he could improve some aspects of his game. Just as any other player, including Maradona and Zidane.

I don't understand the people who slate Steve at the slighest chance, but I don't know why there's not room for a debate about how Gerrard could improve his game neither.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:55 am

andy_g wrote:

Also has OCD - never fecking smiles and sometimes needs to realise he isnt the big i am and no player is bigger than the club - other than that he is one of the top midfielders in the world . and think its laughable that someone suggested selling him just so he can win a league medal ???!??!?
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:06 pm

As long as he turns in the kind of seasons we saw from him in 06 and last year, I'll happily accept every little flaw, shortcoming or girlish laugh that Stevie can muster! :D
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:12 pm

bigmick wrote:I stand corrected mate, I thought somebody quoted a bit from the book which had appeared in the Sunday paper. It was commented on by another poster at the time, like I say apologies if it's incorrect.

I thought the same Mick ! I think it came from this article being posted by someone :-

Jamie Carragher has told Liverpool's American owners to appoint Kenny Dalglish, or someone of similar stature, to the club's board to compensate for their lack of football knowledge.

In his autobiography, serialised in the News of the World,  Carragher admits being aghast when he heard that Tom Hicks not knowing who Jurgen Klinsmann when they talked to him about possibly succeeding Rafa Benitez.

Carragher believes having someone who the fans respect on the board would help ease a lot of the animosity that has been directed at the American owners since they took over the club.

The former England defender said: "What worries me about Hicks saying saying he'd never heard of Klinsmann is this: what happens when we do need to appoint another manager?

"Liverpool fans will shudder at the idea of names being checked on the internet.

"If Kenny was on the board, the owners would be able to ask his advice in the knowledge he has a grasp of what supporters here expect."
SETANTA SPORTS

-----------------------------------

Not sure if both papers have rights or if this is just a mistake?
Last edited by account deleted by request on Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
account deleted by request

Postby Number 9 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:17 pm

Bad Bob wrote:As long as he turns in the kind of seasons we saw from him in 06 and last year, I'll happily accept every little flaw, shortcoming or girlish laugh that Stevie can muster! :D

:nod
How come every time i hit a button I hear Stephen Hawking??

:no  :no
Even Heimdall would contemplate tombstoning!
this is starting to freak me out,what have you mods done to me?? :kungfu:
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:22 pm

It even says backspace!! :laugh:
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:25 pm

There will now be a short intermission in posting while everyone tries to work out WTF Barry's on about :D

Postby Number 9 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:28 pm

s@int wrote:There will now be a short intermission in posting while everyone tries to work out WTF Barry's on about :D

Mate my keyboard seems to be for def folk!Ah hit a key and it telss you a fuc'king story! :no
Im foning the cops!
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:31 pm

You have turned accessibility options on mate, go to control panel ..... then accessibility and turn them off :D

Postby Number 9 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:34 pm

Thank feck for that
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:37 pm

I'd really hate to be blind,it would be fuc'king :censored:!
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:10 pm

s@int wrote: :laugh:

I think we need someone with a bit more creativity, but further forward than what Stu is talking about. Its the final third where we have problems creating , not from midfield. We need a Dalglish/Beardsley type player someone who can drop a little deeper and make defence splitting passes.

When Gerrard plays that role ,while he is fast and athletic with great passing ability, he can't play with his back to goal and he has no natural "feel" or vision for whats going on around him. He's better with everything in front of him.

I think thats why Keane was bought , unfortunately unlike Stu I don't think Keane is the answer..... good striker ........not so great creator.

Which is why I think we may struggle for goals, whether the additional width Reira will bring will be enough, only time will tell.

We need a lot more creativity, Alonso, Pennant, Benayoun, Lucas, Kuyt (yes Kuyt), Mascherano and the rest of the side bar maybe Gerrard and Torres don't weigh in with enough assists. You need someone to stick the chances away, but you need to get the ball into scoring areas and that's where we're lacking. A midfield of Babel, Kuyt, Gerrard, Alonso and Mascherano may look good on paper, but it lacks goals AND creativity. Babel has the attributes to put in more crosses and score more than he does, Alonso should in theory be the best creater but how often does he ping the ball long and hopeful? Kuyt works hard, does better than most give him credit for, but isn't really a winger so you get a decent output but not enough to compensate the lack from midfield.

Riera could provide some of the creativity, the problem won't go away while we play Alonso and Mascherano in the middle with some of the choices we have played out wide. Alonso is a capable passer, maybe he just sits too deep to play the telling balls through the defence. In fact I'd say his pot shots from halfway are more accurate than some of his longer passes to the front
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fo Dne » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:22 pm

andy_g wrote:never had you down as a throat jumper mick - you're too big.

of course a footballer's talent is equal to the sum of his parts and i've seen stu (i think) even break down certain players attributes in a way not unlike fifa08 or whatever. you know - tackling 16; shooting 12; speed 3; etc etc. i can't be bothered doing the same but i'm guessing that gerrard would score slightly lower than plenty of other midfielders in certain attributes. as we all know though, his overall score would be higher than just about all of them.

Exactly. He's nowhere a better passer than Scholes, but I believe him to be the same class of player. He's nowhere near as clever as Scholes.

By the same token Scholes doesn't have Gerrard's physical attributes or his ability in the tackle.

Its being able to find players who compliment the weaker points in others games that makes a good team. IE one striker who's great in the air, one who's great on the deck.

Its like with Gerrard, he's great in the tackle and good at tracking back, so why play someone else in there who's the same? Why not play someone who passes brilliantly and dicates a game with intellligence?
Fo Dne
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion