Steven g agrees terms with chelsea!

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby malone » Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:48 pm

just read in a website, looks like hes off.
malone

Postby JBG » Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:51 pm

Source?  :O
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby malone » Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:52 pm

malone

Postby anfieldadorer » Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:56 pm

June 23, 2004

Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard's move to Chelsea is all but done. The Independent says Gerrard's switch to Chelsea is imminent: his advisers met Chelsea officials at the Croatia game and the deal should go through. Chelsea will offer Liverpool £31 million after the European Championships for the England midfield ace.
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:56 pm

Here it is

Liverpool midfielder Steven Gerrard has agreed terms with Chelsea, claim newspaper reports today.

Football journalist David Woods is out in Portugal and claims that Gerrard has already verbally agreed a 5-year deal worth £120,000-a-week - a personal package of £30million.

He adds that Chelsea have pulled out of an £18million deal for Portugal ace Deco to concentrate on a £35million bid for the Liverpool captain, who is yet to speak publicly about the intense speculation.

Meanwhile, insider sources this morning claim that Gerrard wants to stay for at least another year to see how things pan out under new boss Rafael Benitez. Unfortunately if Chelsea do swoop and offer a staggering amount of cash up front, Gerrard wouldn't have much say in the matter should Liverpool decide to cash in.

As revealed on KopTalk.com last night, Chelsea's Mr Fix-it Peter Kenyon says he "definitely" wants to sign the player if Liverpool are prepared to do business.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Roger Red Hat » Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:57 pm

STEVIE! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

DON'T SIGN!!

Can we have a whip round to keep him at Anfield? I've £27 quid to start us off. If we all chip in we might just get enough for him to stay. please please.

Am I clutching at straws? I could make it £30 quid.
I can! I can! I can!

Sad day at LFC if he goes.
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:57 pm

30/35 mill - Not a chance. 50, no less. Not a penny.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby malone » Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:58 pm

surely gerrard is worth more than 31 mil :(
malone

Postby anfieldadorer » Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:58 pm

not 100% yet
pray and pray
i also sneaked at Chelsea's official website but found no news about stevie at all.
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:59 pm

Thanks Malone.

ATL Football have elaborated on the BBC and Sky story that Chelsea have finally announced that they are interested in Gerrard.

www.worldsoccernews.com/

They say that Abramovich's aides meet with Stevie's people after the Croatia game.

Koptalk also refer to rumours that Stevie has made a last minute change of mind, apparently giving Liverpool one more year. This was first reported on this website last night by JohnBull, who claims that he spoke with Wayne Rooney's cousin last night who told him that Rooney told him that Gerrard has said in Portugal that after meeting with Benetiz and speaking with his family, he is prepared to give LFC one more year.

The rumours are going crazy at the moment.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby anfieldadorer » Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:00 pm

New Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho is keen to sign Liverpool and England star Steven Gerrard to play alongside Frank Lampard next season!

Behind Lampard, Gerrard was recognised as the most accomplished midfielder in the Premiership last season, dragging Liverpool into the Champions League kicking and screaming!

And Mourinho has admitted that he would like the scouse star to be a part of his revolution at Chelsea. Jose said "If he comes, I'll welcome him with open arms. If he doesn't, I'll admire him anyway. I don't know the distance between the dream and reality."

The distance between dream and reality seems to be shortening by the day. Chelsea chief executive Peter Kenyon revealed: "Steven Gerrard is recognised as one of the best midfielders around and were it possible we would be extremely interested. It's great to see how Frank Lampard and Steven have played together and Steven certainly comes into the Lampard class."

And if the rumours about Wayne Rooney are true, scouse mania could be heading to West London! Make sure you lock your car...
Last edited by anfieldadorer on Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:07 pm

This must be the fastest expanding thread ever!

One word of warning about David Woods: he could be second guessing whats happening and wants to be the first journalist to get the scoop, and 9 times out of 10 these guys are wrong because they are taking a gamble that the story is ture.

He could very well be right, but believe me all of these journalists are over in Portugal drinking cocktails and brandy in a late bar outside the team's hotel and the rumour mill has gone into overdrive over there. There's probably some small degree of truth in it but Woods could be trying to get the story by gambling on it being true.

The signficant thing about Koptalks' post is that it is the first time I have heard independent confirmation of JohnBull's story last night of an apparent 11th hour change of heart from Stevie.

One thing is for sure: no deal has been done (Gerrard may have simply indicated to Chelsea that he is open to moving) and won't be done until he comes back from Portugal.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby anfieldadorer » Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:21 pm

Chelsea want Gerrard

BBC, Wednesday, 23 June, 2004, 09:38 GMT 10:38 UK 

Chelsea have admitted they would try to sign Liverpool and England midfielder Steven Gerrard if he became available.
The Anfield captain is rated at £35m and Chelsea have been strongly tipped to make a record-breaking move for him.

"Gerrard is one of the best and were it possible we'd be extremely interested," said chief executive Peter Kenyon.

And new Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho told BBC Five Live: "If he comes, I'll welcome him with open arms. If he doesn't, I'll admire him anyway."

But the former Porto coach added: "I don't know the distance between the dream and reality."

Kenyon also drew on the partnership emerging between England team-mate Frank Lampard and Gerrard at Euro 2004as a potential deal-breaker.

"It's great to see how Chelsea midfielder Frank Lampard and Steven have played together and Steven certainly comes into the Lampard class," said Kenyon

With Roman Abramovich's millions at his disposal, Chelsea have also been linked with a move for Everton's Wayne Rooney, but the Blues have denied having spoken to anyone about the England star.

"Rooney's been the talk of the tournament. He's been incredible, particularly coming off a fairly average season," said Kenyon.

"But there's so much speculation, and if we started reacting to all the speculation we would literally do nothing else."
Last edited by anfieldadorer on Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby simic_ie » Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:43 pm

If there has been contact between Chelsea and Steven Gerrard does that not constitute an illega approac on Chelsea's part?? Do Chelsea not have to get permission from Liverpool before they can even talk to SG?? ???
“It was my first of the season, my last of the season, my best of the season and the one I will remember for ever.”

- Vladi Smicer after scoring in the CL Final

"I'm not a believer in fate..... until tonight, they're going to win it!"
-  Liam Brady after extra time of CL Final
simic_ie
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:05 pm

Thats the way it is done these days. Start with a few comments on the sly to the press. Get another player to tap them up while on National team duty, leak some more ****** to the media, turn up to watch them play (manager, CEO, owner) to really stir it up and then finally put in a bid following 2 months of intense speculation and torture of the fans.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion