Steve mcmahon - Why do some legends have to tear at us?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby azriahmad » Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:49 pm

I don't normally start new threads but I wish to share something with you people.

Here in Asia (or South East Asia at least), we get some regional based shows on ESPN with 2 alternating hosts who have a couple of former English based players (who are now either coaches or full time pundits) as the guest pundits. From time to time, we get former players from the English league (old First division, I mean) or EPL, as a guest pundit for a spell. For instance, we had Les Ferdinand and Ian Rush being one guest pundit for each live telecast and featured EPL football talk shows for the duration they stayed - 1 week or 2.

Today, one of them is none other than Steve McMahon and his "expertise" analysis was on the gamed for this weekend. Obviously, he had a lot to say on the Chelsea-Liverpool EPL match. Obviously, for their "appeal" and "longevity" to become regular pundits, they have to stay somewhat neutral in their comments on their former clubs. Rushie was very neutral when he was asked about Liverpool and gave factual comments every time.

What about McMahon?

Some of his comments:

"Liverpool can't try to take the game to Chelsea because when they open-up the game, Chelsea murdered them like at Anfield"
"If they try to take the game to Chelsea, they'll get murdered again"

"I'm surprised they signed Fowler again, the words 'washed-up' springs to mind..." "At his age, Liverpool should not start Fowler, because I wouldn't"

"Carragher and Gerrard has been Liverpool's dominant players over the past 2 seasons, and resting Carragher in the Birmingham game would have made him distraught - I know I would be". With so many games, we can't rest the man?

"Why take off Gerrard in the last 20 minutes of the game?" when it was suggested that Rafa decided to substitute Alonso for Gerrard "to keep possession as we were leading 1-0 against 10 men, he went on to imply that Liverpool should, for example, sub Sissoko because "he gives the ball away for fun"

His best one was to suggest that Kewell is playing well only "for himself because Australia had qualified for the World Cup and he wants to make sure he makes the squad"

Obviously he had only good words to say about Chelsea and went on to predict a 2-0 win over Liverpool with Lampard opening the scoring. There was no mention that Liverpool have improved this season, just that Chelsea this, Chelsea that...bla bla bla.

I can take constructive critism but I really can't stand this over-the-top bashing of Liverpool just because they were past legends and now that they are media pundits (I heard McMahon is in between jobs, having left a coaching job in Australia), they have to show that they are neutral towards Liverpool by unnecessarily and unfairly bashing us at every opportunity. WTF?

I read Phil Thompson's book "Stand up Pinoccio" and not once did he went over to top about his sacking or about Rafa or about Rick Parry and David Moores. You can really tell that he loves Liverpool FC and doesn not hold any grudge over his recent termination as the Assistant Manager. Even his feud with Souness was not filled with any malicious stories about Souness, just how he felt.

Steve McMahon, Liverpool FC legend with 3 league championships and 1 FA Cup medals - what a way to leave an unfavourable impression on you as a person on a life long Liverpool fan. He's now put himself in the same category as the likes of Lawrenson etc. as pundit scum! Shocking for a legend...
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:55 pm

What ever happened to him at Blackpool? Says it all really.

You listen to Aldo, Rushie, Barnes, Hansen and Thompson and you can see they love the club from what they say and what comes out of there mouths.

Phil Thompson is a massive red and a real professional. Aldo talks so much sense on the radio and Hansen generally critisizes but acknowledges improvement and always gives us a good mention.

For him to say Fowler's washed up though... Pffft, hasn't got a clue!
115-1073096938

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:02 pm

TBH I agree with some of the points he made .i.e. I was surprised that Rafa didn't start Carra against Birmingham ,a team that have often given us a nasty suprise , I was also furious when Gerrard was taken off ,we were only leading by a single goal and the way the game was panning out it looked like a second would prove elusive , I had a nasty feeling Birmingham could/would sneak something .I know we need to rest players but I for one wouldn't have picked that particular game to do it in . When we look at the Chelsea and Man U results that night the two points we dropped were massive .

As for the rest of McMahons comments ,do I really care ? no .

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby azriahmad » Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:10 pm

Woof, I don't get many alternatives on the telly about the EPL.

Sure, what he says or what any pundits say don't matter at all but coming from a Liverpool legend dishing out unfair comments against high praises for Chelsea when commenting on an upcoming Chelsea-Liverpool match, my stomach turns.

What's he on about? I he so jealous of uncommitted, average and so "unworthy" players like Traore, Smicer, Biscan etc winning the UEFA CL medal and getting massive bonuses which he, a legend, missed out on despite playing in a far more superior Liverpool team that he needs to tear into Liverpool as if it is a personal mission?

There was a segment on Graeme Souness getting sacked and he hardly said anything adverse. Only his co-pundit commented that Souness "did nothing at Newcastle despite spending £57million" during his tenure (which is very obvious).

No, the brunt of criticisms has to go to Liverpool in nearly every sentence.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Irish_Red » Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:18 pm

try listening to Irish televison pundits ,  ray haughton  ronnie whelan , jim beglin , johnny giles and eamon dunphy now they seem to hate liverpool , i hate listening to them , even when we do well they call us rubbish now that  boils my blood!
maidhc o reilly
Irish_Red

Postby mighty mo » Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:23 pm

Irish_Red wrote:try listening to Irish televison pundits ,  ray haughton  ronnie whelan , jim beglin , johnny giles and eamon dunphy now they seem to hate liverpool , i hate listening to them , even when we do well they call us rubbish now that  boils my blood!

are you bored at  manutdweb?
mighty mo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Irish_Red » Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:10 pm

mighty mo , ur such a fag  got
maidhc o reilly
Irish_Red

Postby Lando_Griffin » Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:06 pm

azriahmad wrote:I don't normally start new threads but I wish to share something with you people.

Here in Asia (or South East Asia at least), we get some regional based shows on ESPN with 2 alternating hosts who have a couple of former English based players (who are now either coaches or full time pundits) as the guest pundits. From time to time, we get former players from the English league (old First division, I mean) or EPL, as a guest pundit for a spell. For instance, we had Les Ferdinand and Ian Rush being one guest pundit for each live telecast and featured EPL football talk shows for the duration they stayed - 1 week or 2.

Today, one of them is none other than Steve McMahon and his "expertise" analysis was on the gamed for this weekend. Obviously, he had a lot to say on the Chelsea-Liverpool EPL match. Obviously, for their "appeal" and "longevity" to become regular pundits, they have to stay somewhat neutral in their comments on their former clubs. Rushie was very neutral when he was asked about Liverpool and gave factual comments every time.

What about McMahon?

Some of his comments:

"Liverpool can't try to take the game to Chelsea because when they open-up the game, Chelsea murdered them like at Anfield"
"If they try to take the game to Chelsea, they'll get murdered again"

"I'm surprised they signed Fowler again, the words 'washed-up' springs to mind..." "At his age, Liverpool should not start Fowler, because I wouldn't"

"Carragher and Gerrard has been Liverpool's dominant players over the past 2 seasons, and resting Carragher in the Birmingham game would have made him distraught - I know I would be". With so many games, we can't rest the man?

"Why take off Gerrard in the last 20 minutes of the game?" when it was suggested that Rafa decided to substitute Alonso for Gerrard "to keep possession as we were leading 1-0 against 10 men, he went on to imply that Liverpool should, for example, sub Sissoko because "he gives the ball away for fun"

His best one was to suggest that Kewell is playing well only "for himself because Australia had qualified for the World Cup and he wants to make sure he makes the squad"

Obviously he had only good words to say about Chelsea and went on to predict a 2-0 win over Liverpool with Lampard opening the scoring. There was no mention that Liverpool have improved this season, just that Chelsea this, Chelsea that...bla bla bla.

I can take constructive critism but I really can't stand this over-the-top bashing of Liverpool just because they were past legends and now that they are media pundits (I heard McMahon is in between jobs, having left a coaching job in Australia), they have to show that they are neutral towards Liverpool by unnecessarily and unfairly bashing us at every opportunity. WTF?

I read Phil Thompson's book "Stand up Pinoccio" and not once did he went over to top about his sacking or about Rafa or about Rick Parry and David Moores. You can really tell that he loves Liverpool FC and doesn not hold any grudge over his recent termination as the Assistant Manager. Even his feud with Souness was not filled with any malicious stories about Souness, just how he felt.

Steve McMahon, Liverpool FC legend with 3 league championships and 1 FA Cup medals - what a way to leave an unfavourable impression on you as a person on a life long Liverpool fan. He's now put himself in the same category as the likes of Lawrenson etc. as pundit scum! Shocking for a legend...

F*ck him.

F*ck him right up his bottom, Gorilla man.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mark the red » Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:25 pm

i wasnt surprised that carra was put on the bench, he hasnt had a break properly this season, apart from when he was pulled from the england squad over his ankle earlier on in the season becuase he had been having injections in it.  prehaps that was the reason he was put on the bench.
i f**king love leon mc, what a lad
mark the red

Postby dawson99 » Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:25 pm

i interviewed steve mcmahan about 10 years ago for my university tv channel, and can i just say that i have possibly never met a bigger d!ck in my life. so since then i have a very biased view towards him so will keep quiet... but it seems like he is proving my opinion right
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sean » Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:32 pm

McMahon was a good player but couldn't handle Vinny Jones in the '88 cup final.
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby The_Rock » Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:32 am

He also mentioned that joey barton was aa average player and 35,000 pounds was too much for him  :Oo: .....

Also took a dig at Ian Nolan, saying he is not england squad material..... (well i rather have Nolan in the squad than philip nev)

Jealousy comes to mind...
Last edited by The_Rock on Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anfieldadorer » Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:35 am

azriahmad wrote:Steve McMahon, Liverpool FC legend with 3 league championships

isn't it 2 (81; 84)?

i think it's not a symphatetic way of him to gesticulate: "yoohoo..!, it's me, having won more champion cups than you lots, ask me since i know better"
Last edited by anfieldadorer on Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:12 pm

Some fair points there from McMahon.

You dont have to express your love for the club at every turn and agree with all the managers/players views to be a fan.

Its about looking at it objectively.

Fowler is not an ideal signing, but he is pretty much risk free. People forget the stick he used to get for lame displays before he left.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Starbridge42 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:50 pm

azriahmad wrote:"I'm surprised they signed Fowler again, the words 'washed-up' springs to mind..." "At his age, Liverpool should not start Fowler, because I wouldn't"

Well considering you got fired from Perth Glory after taking the NSL champions to the depths of the league playing some of the most insipid football in the A-league I'm definately going to value your tactical opinions.  :glare:
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion