Stelios wants in... - ...but will we open the door?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Bad Bob » Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:30 pm

icLiverpool - Stelios puts Liverpool on Red Alert

Just browsing the above article and noticed the following quote:

"Benitez still admires the Greek international, but he's been eyeing alternative targets and is only likely to resurrect his interest if Bolton were willing to arrange a swop deal."

This raises an interesting question - who would you like to see swapped for Stelios?

Do you reckon Bolton might take Traore? :p

Or perhaps Le Tallec?
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Garymac » Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:51 pm

Effes wrote:Been thinking lately about whether we'll go and spend big on a RW.

If we do, then we've got our first choice trio of Alonso, Sissoko and Gerrard plus this RW - add Kewell/Gonzalez, then aren't we looking at 3-5-2 next season?
That's assuming Gerrard is TEMPORARILY playing as a right midfielder.

Is this why Rafa surprised everyone with the Newcastle selection?
Is he thinking of maybe using 3-5-2 next season with the addition of players signed in the Summer?

It'll be interesting to see.

We need a right winger and a center forward in the summer, i think Gonzalez looks so much more exciting than kewell, Think Gonzalez ius the type of player who Rafa will look to to hit teams on the break away from home, Kewell seems to improved his footballing ability and is becoming less and less a out and out winger.

Stelios would have been a good addition at the start of the season but not now, save are money and get a top winger than one to boost the squad.

I think its rubbish to say we will go 3 5 2 if we buy a winger, if you are playing 5 in midfield then you tend to use a full back, as we did with warnock and Kromkamp, there is no way you would expect a winger to play in a 5 man midfield, defensively it would be a disaster.

He need a winger to fit into a 4 4 2 formation.
Garymac
LFC Super Member

Postby JC_81 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:17 pm

I agree it's rubbish to say we might go 3-5-2 next season.  It's an option for the odd game to surprise people - ie Newcastle this season and Spurs last season, but Benitez has ALWAYS been predominantly a fan of the back four.

Were Benitez planning to go 3-5-2 on a permanent basis then it would be the centre of midfield he would be looking to strengthen - we really only have Sissoko, Hamann, Gerrard and Alonso (maybe Zenden if he recovers fully) - not enough depth to be thinking of playing 3 in the middle every week.

Also we really only have 4 centre backs (and that's including Paletta) - which isn't enough depth for playing 3 at the back every week.

3-5-2 on a regular basis is NOT going to happen
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GOAT » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:34 pm

Stelios committed to Bolton cause 

Greek midfielder Stelios Giannakopoulos has reassured Bolton he is fully committed to the club.
The 31-year-old was quoted by a Greek newspaper saying he "would give everything to go to Liverpool".

But he told Bolton's website: "I have aspirations of playing in Europe again with Bolton and I am fully committed to helping them to qualify this season.

"I signed a three-year deal earlier this season and I want to achieve great success with the club in that period."

Stelios held talks with Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez last summer and also attracted interest from Manchester City before he opted to sign a new deal with Bolton.

However, in an interview with Greek newspaper Eleftheros Typos, he was quoted as saying: "I have become more stubborn since last season when I didn't go to Liverpool.

"That's my dream. Not only to go to Liverpool but, in general, to go to a bigger team. Then I would say that I have reached the peak of my career.

"That's my vision and I am working very hard every week to make Liverpool or any big team chase my signature."
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby Effes » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:35 pm

Garymac wrote:I think its rubbish to say we will go 3 5 2

I didn't say we will - just posed the question.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby HantsRed » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:19 pm

If he does come I hope stops the girly diving and play acting. He's second worst in the Premiership after Drogba for that kind of sh*t in my opinion.

On playing ability alone he wouldn't be my choice in any case - decent enough but not a great player.
HantsRed

Postby ynwa » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:33 pm

i dont see raf buying him he is a ok player for bolton but what can he bring to liverpool
walk on walk on with hope in your heart
rafalution
18/5
god is back
ynwa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redmikey » Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:58 pm

he should have come when he had the chance !

we needed him this year as our right side has been filled by SG who has done a great job but could have been used to better effect in the middle,,

i say sorry you've missed the ferry feck off back to your bolton wander retirement home!
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby JBG » Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:01 pm

A good player Stelios, but getting on a bit.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby LiverpoolMadman » Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:05 pm

I prefer Nolan rather than stelois ...
LiverpoolMadman

Postby Paul C » Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:27 pm

stmichael wrote:With Aurelio all but sewn up (according to most rumours I heard), we have only two positions left to fill, with the forward position arguably more crucial than wide right.

Where did you hear that Mike?  :oh:
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion