Stand up an believe

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby NANNY RED » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:07 am

lakes10 wrote:sorry no.

its has nothing to do with Rafa now, we need a result thats not going to happen and thats why i dont think we will make it into the next round.

So your not standing behind the lads  :no
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby spion » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:15 am

Noises were less than complimentary about the manager after the game. We walked out onto the plaza outside the Stade de Gerland, one supporter was shouting “Benitez out” & for the first time I didn’t hear anyone tell him to shut up. We were in a state of shock & not looking forward to the trip back to Birmingham, texts from less than sympathetic manure friends already landing in my inbox. The game wasn’t a bad one with Liverpool dominating most of the match but as always it seems, after taking the lead we lacked the experience to hold on for tem minutes. People on the train were already talking about Birmingham on Monday night & commenting that  it could be Rafas last at Anfield. Kenny Dalglish was looked upon as a short term replacement but still hope resides with most of the faithful. Its funny how scousers seem to be staunch supporters of Benitez but the national followers are less than favourable toward the manager. Debates in the cabin we were got quite heated during the hour or so it took to get to the Satolas airport with a lad who was sitting near us in the stadium commenting that the manager is building a team at Liverpool with no money compared to the other top four & that any other manager wouldn’t have got near to the league with the resources we have been given over the last five years. I agreed with this lad but still felt that something is missing in the squad (not Gerrard) in my opinion we lack fight, we lack passion & most of all desire in the last third.

Two hours in the airport waiting for the flight back to Coventry & it was becoming apparent that some reds were likening the current plight to that of Houlliers final few months at Liverpool. Benitez isn’t alienating the supporters but does seem to be pulling away from the team. It is widely reported that Sammy Lee is taking more of the sessions & that the manager is starting to pick players on “feeling” rather than form. According to one man rumour around Liverpool is that relations between Torres & Benitez are less than great citing an argument after the Manure game regarding his substitution. Its always interesting going to away European games where all the stories that someone hears of someone’s hairdresser in a pub in bootle or at a petrol station (always :censored:) come out, even more so when things are less than great.

The plane was filled with Liverpool supporters from all over the country & conversation was mostly centred on one thing. Voronin or rather how much of a waste of space he is. It is agreed that this player is not good enough for Liverpool & we should have cut our losses last season. My one worry is what does Benitez see in him, I mean even Lucas has improved with games but Voronin is not any good & brings nothing to the team. We may have well played with ten men for seventy minutes what he brought to the game. Babel doesn’t want to be at Liverpool you can see that in his body language but Voronin is just a rubbish player at least Babel tries.

Oh well back in blighty, tired & not surprised that Talksport has the knives out for Benitez again. Will it be over on Monday if the unthinkable happens?
spion

Postby bigmick » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:20 am

spion wrote:Noises were less than complimentary about the manager after the game. We walked out onto the plaza outside the Stade de Gerland, one supporter was shouting “Benitez out” & for the first time I didn’t hear anyone tell him to shut up. We were in a state of shock & not looking forward to the trip back to Birmingham, texts from less than sympathetic manure friends already landing in my inbox. The game wasn’t a bad one with Liverpool dominating most of the match but as always it seems, after taking the lead we lacked the experience to hold on for tem minutes. People on the train were already talking about Birmingham on Monday night & commenting that  it could be Rafas last at Anfield. Kenny Dalglish was looked upon as a short term replacement but still hope resides with most of the faithful. Its funny how scousers seem to be staunch supporters of Benitez but the national followers are less than favourable toward the manager. Debates in the cabin we were got quite heated during the hour or so it took to get to the Satolas airport with a lad who was sitting near us in the stadium commenting that the manager is building a team at Liverpool with no money compared to the other top four & that any other manager wouldn’t have got near to the league with the resources we have been given over the last five years. I agreed with this lad but still felt that something is missing in the squad (not Gerrard) in my opinion we lack fight, we lack passion & most of all desire in the last third.

Two hours in the airport waiting for the flight back to Coventry & it was becoming apparent that some reds were likening the current plight to that of Houlliers final few months at Liverpool. Benitez isn’t alienating the supporters but does seem to be pulling away from the team. It is widely reported that Sammy Lee is taking more of the sessions & that the manager is starting to pick players on “feeling” rather than form. According to one man rumour around Liverpool is that relations between Torres & Benitez are less than great citing an argument after the Manure game regarding his substitution. Its always interesting going to away European games where all the stories that someone hears of someone’s hairdresser in a pub in bootle or at a petrol station (always :censored:) come out, even more so when things are less than great.

The plane was filled with Liverpool supporters from all over the country & conversation was mostly centred on one thing. Voronin or rather how much of a waste of space he is. It is agreed that this player is not good enough for Liverpool & we should have cut our losses last season. My one worry is what does Benitez see in him, I mean even Lucas has improved with games but Voronin is not any good & brings nothing to the team. We may have well played with ten men for seventy minutes what he brought to the game. Babel doesn’t want to be at Liverpool you can see that in his body language but Voronin is just a rubbish player at least Babel tries.

Oh well back in blighty, tired & not surprised that Talksport has the knives out for Benitez again. Will it be over on Monday if the unthinkable happens?

Really good post mate and an interesting insight. I definately think you're right that scousers are more inclined generally to be loyal to the manager, although from the forums my guess is at least 80% of fans still back him.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:23 am

What made that night in Istanbul the best night ever as a Liverpool supporter was we were losing 3-0 at half time, had we scored a goal in the first five minutes and defended successfully all match it would not have been as sweet. What made that night even sweeter for me is I never lost faith in the team and could well have turned the tv off half way through the match and missed the most amazing result. I didn't and was rewarded. It may not always work out like it did in Istanbul, but you always have to believe it may. Support the team through thick and thin!
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:28 am

Good post that mate
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RobinHood6969 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:10 pm

kazza wrote:What made that night in Istanbul the best night ever as a Liverpool supporter was we were losing 3-0 at half time, had we scored a goal in the first five minutes and defended successfully all match it would not have been as sweet. What made that night even sweeter for me is I never lost faith in the team and could well have turned the tv off half way through the match and missed the most amazing result. I didn't and was rewarded. It may not always work out like it did in Istanbul, but you always have to believe it may. Support the team through thick and thin!

Nice post kazza  :) .. Exactly the thing i did that night. and i feel this is what makes us special bunch of supporters and our club a special one  :buttrock
RobinHood6969

Postby anne » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:17 pm

Spoin that is a great insight but lets not forget we are a side decimated with injuries, and for now very low morale.....and why does everyone consistently overlook this?!?!?
Yes we should have extra depth, but what top quality player enjoys sitting on the bench, lets not forget Crouch wanted to leave as he wasn't guaranteed 1st team football, and on that note, were looking at a level (class) below Crouch who are MORE than willing to sit on the bench, NOT to forget in 2010 THE WORLD CUP what class player is going to sit on the bench?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Yet we still played a great game missing loads of players and many of the first eleven were carrying injuries, and highly unfortunate to draw the game, against a side who are clearly one of the strongest sides in Europe!! They spent the second highest this season after RM, if that is not improvement WHAT IS?!?!?

On a final note, do you honestly believe Lyon are going to throw the towel in???
We take 1st or 2nd in a Group no worries, as we avoid 1/2 of the Top European sides in the draw irrespective.......
If Lyon were to finish 2nd, let's see Chelsea, ManU, Arsenal, Sevilla, Milan/RM Barcelona/Inter.........giving that scenario for Lyon I would rather enter for the Europa League......
You see being an English or Spanish side we avoid 50% of the 'Top clubs' finishing either first or second......Other sides in Europe do not have that luxury!!
anne

Postby fergieisawhiskeynosedtw@t » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:19 pm

keep the faith everyone!!!!

I have a couple of tickets for the Fiorentina game at Anfield but just been diagnosed with heart problems.

May ony be able to go if we are already out reckons the consultant as the excitement might be too uch...

feck that if I croaked it at Anfield and we went through I would die a happy man!!!

:buttrock

agree about Voronin the man is :censored: and Babel's 2nd chance after he had scored wtf he should have at the very least hit the target!!

Y.N.W.A.
fergieisawhiskeynosedtw@t

Postby stmichael » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:26 pm

whatever happens, in many ways i'd rather go into the final game of the group having to win 3-0 than just having to win.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Sabre » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:27 pm

Count me in Nan :)
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:44 pm

anne wrote:Spoin that is a great insight but lets not forget we are a side decimated with injuries, and for now very low morale.....and why does everyone consistently overlook this?!?!?
Yes we should have extra depth, but what top quality player enjoys sitting on the bench, lets not forget Crouch wanted to leave as he wasn't guaranteed 1st team football, and on that note, were looking at a level (class) below Crouch who are MORE than willing to sit on the bench, NOT to forget in 2010 THE WORLD CUP what class player is going to sit on the bench?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Yet we still played a great game missing loads of players and many of the first eleven were carrying injuries, and highly unfortunate to draw the game, against a side who are clearly one of the strongest sides in Europe!! They spent the second highest this season after RM, if that is not improvement WHAT IS?!?!?

On a final note, do you honestly believe Lyon are going to throw the towel in???
We take 1st or 2nd in a Group no worries, as we avoid 1/2 of the Top European sides in the draw irrespective.......
If Lyon were to finish 2nd, let's see Chelsea, ManU, Arsenal, Sevilla, Milan/RM Barcelona/Inter.........giving that scenario for Lyon I would rather enter for the Europa League......
You see being an English or Spanish side we avoid 50% of the 'Top clubs' finishing either first or second......Other sides in Europe do not have that luxury!!

Welcome to the forum Anne, look forward to hearing more of your views.  :buttrock
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fergieisawhiskeynosedtw@t » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:11 pm

Reg wrote:
anne wrote:Spoin that is a great insight but lets not forget we are a side decimated with injuries, and for now very low morale.....and why does everyone consistently overlook this?!?!?

Welcome to the forum Anne, look forward to hearing more of your views.  :buttrock

excellent post Anne and I had not thought of the 1st/2nd place issues!!!
fergieisawhiskeynosedtw@t

Postby GRAHAM01 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:14 pm

i'm standing tall as always!! that will NEVER change
if you want some come get some!
GRAHAM01
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby heimdall » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:13 pm

Rush Job wrote:Im actually hoping they play out a draw, I`d obviously prefer a lyon win but a draw still leaves us in it with  reasonableish chance.

Your do realise the goal difference is +7 in their favour don't you?  :Oo:
They will come to Anfield and park the bus which Italian teams are very very good at, I think it will be a miracle if we get through now, I just don't understand why Rafa didn't go all out for the win last night, i,e play Aquaman and anybody other than Voronin. Also that Greek defender is a complete fecking liability, couldn't we have played Kelly or Darby at RB?
heimdall

Postby Greavesie » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:17 pm

It goes to head to head Heimdall, even then we still have to win 3:0
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion