ST. MIKE'S RUMOUR THREAD - All silly season rumours here please

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby red187 » Sun May 15, 2005 9:24 am

Just heard that newcastle have placed a bid of £i6 million for michael owen & madrid have accepted it, i dont believe we can match this, as we need the funds for strengthening the squad in other areas
red187

Postby Starbridge42 » Sun May 15, 2005 10:21 am

And where have you heard this??
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby Erica » Sun May 15, 2005 10:36 am

Starbridge42 wrote:And where have you heard this??

I have also read it this morning in the Spanish press. They talk about 25 million (of euros). I leave you the article where I have read it. It is in Spanish, but if you do not understand at least you will see a nice picture of Owen. Greetings

http://www.marca.com/edicion/noticia/0,2458,631530,00.html
Erica

Postby JC_81 » Sun May 15, 2005 11:27 am

red187 wrote:Just heard that newcastle have placed a bid of £i6 million for michael owen & madrid have accepted it, i dont believe we can match this, as we need the funds for strengthening the squad in other areas

I'm sure we could find a better striker than owen for 16 mil, thats too much.

Can't see Owen wanting to sign for newcastle anyway to be honest.  Maybe if arsenal came in for him i could see him going there.  Newcastle are in more of a transitional period than us and i doubt they will be very successful until they get a decent manager in.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Sun May 15, 2005 12:18 pm

red187 wrote:Just heard that newcastle have placed a bid of £i6 million for michael owen & madrid have accepted it, i dont believe we can match this, as we need the funds for strengthening the squad in other areas

My ar5e this will happen, Owen wouldn't go to a dead beat club like Newcastle, isn't it in his contract that we get first refusal on him?  ???
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby joependo » Sun May 15, 2005 12:35 pm

Kullinger i watch the French and Spanish news and football and all the players are linked with us.And if i don't know anythin about football why hasn't any1 else sed that.Real Madrid ben linked with rio ferdinand(he's :censored: anyway)and Newcastle put a bid in for Owen for 16mil
joependo

Postby dawson99 » Mon May 16, 2005 10:18 am

Bolton Wanderers are nearing an agreement with Liverpool for the permanent signing of El Hadji Diouf.
The Senegal international has made a major impact at The Reebok Stadium during his season-long loan from the UEFA Champions League finalists.
Diouf has scored nine goals for The Trotters and manager Sam Allardyce is keen to land his services on a permanent basis.
Though Diouf has still to fully shrug off the controversy which has dogged his career, Bolton are willing to gamble on the 24-year-old.
There had been fears that the fee Liverpool would seek for Diouf would prove prohibitive for Bolton, who play European football for the first time in their history next season.
Liverpool splashed out £10 million to sign the forward from Lens three years ago and there have been suggestions The Reds want to recoup around £4 million of that outlay.
It is unclear whether that figure would be out of Bolton's reach but chairman Phil Gartside has confirmed an accord has nearly been struck.
Gartside admits talks are progressing satisfactorily and, if Diouf's capture is completed, he can then move on to other potential summer recruits.
"We are very close to doing a deal with Liverpool," Gartside told the Manchester Evening News.
"That's all I can say at the moment.
"He's the first target and, when we've done that, we'll have a look at other things."
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby haps » Mon May 16, 2005 10:51 am

owen won't go near newcastle or any other club that isn't challenging for the title or can guarantee him champions league football.  Fact.
Newcastle have offered about £15m - true.  But whether Real Madrid have accepted this or not (and it's likely they have), owen will not be going there.  owen is waiting on arsenal and possibly chelsea.  My money is on him being a gunner next season.  which shall be weird ....
haps

Postby Big Niall » Mon May 16, 2005 11:17 am

No way Owen would go to Newcastle. Chelsea or Arsenal maybe but prob happy at Madrid.

I'd take £3m for Diouf if we could get it.

The huge money received from CL final would be offset by fact that we aren't in it next year (unless beat Milan and UEFA change mind).

We need  new goalie, CB, LB,creative midfielder and two wingers. Damn, that's half a team.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Mon May 16, 2005 11:20 am

Freddie Shephard likes big headline making bids, like his bid for Wayne Rooney last season.

Newcastle bidding big money and Newcastle buying big players are two seperate things.

I think we will spend a lot of money in the summer, second to Chelsea for the second summer in a row. I'm confident there is money there and also players like Smicer, Diouff etc are leaving, free up a lot of cash (spent on wages).

Rafa himself has hinted last week that there will be a lot of changes in the summer and he has talked about bringing in quality players to allow us to challenge in "3 cups" so at a guess, I estimate we'll see 5 or 6 signings.

I'll bet, though, that most, if not all of the new signings will NOT be the guys people have listed here. I reckon we'll see a few buys in the £5m to £6million price range.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby The_Rock » Mon May 16, 2005 12:26 pm

Don't think newcastle will even be challenging for a champions league spot....owen will not go there.

If at all he comes back, it will be

1)us
2)Arsenal

can't see him going to other clubs.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Pablo_Escobar » Mon May 16, 2005 12:43 pm

The_Rock wrote:Don't think newcastle will even be challenging for a champions league spot....owen will not go there.

If at all he comes back, it will be

1)us
2)Arsenal

can't see him going to other clubs.

It'd be veeeeeery hard to see Owen wearing gooners shirt, and playing against us. Can't seem to imagine that.
I'd like him to come back to Anfield, but not for more than we got for him from Real.
Pablo_Escobar
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby desperado0831 » Mon May 16, 2005 12:48 pm

Go and get the duo (dyer and bowyer) to compete with viera,makelele and rooney. :D
Reds is the sacred colour before this world was born.

desperado0831

Postby The_Rock » Mon May 16, 2005 2:13 pm

well inter can have riise for 30 million pounds...... In another year or so...riise will become the best left back in the world.

http://www.talklfc.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10982

It has been reported in Italy that Inter Milan have targetted Liverpool's John Arne Riise as one of their summer signings.

The Norwegian has been in fine form this season and is thought to have attracted the interest of the Italian giants. Popular Italian website Virgilio.it claims that Rafa Benitez will ask for Alvaro Recoba as part of the deal and that the Uruguayan who is comfortable upfront or as a left winger will be the direct replacement for Milan Baros who will leave to join Valencia.

It sounds a tad dubious that Inter would be willing to let one of their best players go and it is unlikely that Rafa Benitez will pay the 'six-figure' wages that Recoba is on at the moment (unless of course he's willing to take a pay cut).

Meanwhile, Inter's Christian Vieri who was linked with a move to Merseyside a few weeks ago, denied that he is looking to leave the club.

"What? I don’t understand," replied Vieri with a smile when asked to comment on rumours linking him away from the San Siro.

"I’ve been in good shape for a while now and it is up to the coach to decide when I play," added the former Juventus and Lazio hitman.
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Mon May 16, 2005 2:36 pm

The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion