Spurs on saturday - Time to put down a marker

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Judge » Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:12 pm

Tottenham's King, Davids fit to face Liverpool

CHIGWELL (Reuters) - Tottenham Hotspur captain Ledley King and Dutch midfielder Edgar Davids have been given the all-clear to face Liverpool in the Premier League at Anfield on Saturday.

South Korea full back Lee Young-Pyo and Ireland winger Andy Reid have also recovered from injury and manager Martin Jol has a full-strength squad to choose from, he told reporters at the club's training ground on Thursday.

Egypt striker Mido is available again after missing the 3-2 FA Cup third round defeat at Leicester City before he returns home for this month's African Nations Cup.

Central defender King suffered a slight groin strain against Birmingham City on Boxing Day and missed all of the Christmas programme, while Davids returns after a two-game absence with an ankle problem.

Lee was caught by a studs-up tackle from Manchester City's David Sommeil, which resulted in a three-match ban, and was carried off in the January 4 away match with a badly bruised knee after a challenge he described as the worst he had encountered.

Spurs are in fourth spot just a point behind a Liverpool side who are one place above their north London opponents albeit with two games in hand.
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mikopool » Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:53 pm

Liverpool 2 - 1 Tottenham

Reina

Kromkamp Carragher Hyypia Riise

Sissoko    Alonso

Gerrard                         Kewell
           Pongolle
                   Crouch

I figure Flopo will nick another and prove his worth, Kewell the other, he is a due for a goal, I can see Defoe getting one with Mido gone.
" Some people say football is a matter of life and death, I don't like this attitude, I can assure them, its much more serious then that "

- Billy Shanks.

For life.
mikopool

Postby A.B. » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:10 pm

Games against Spurs have been close in recent seasons, the last 3 games have been draws between the two sides. They will come looking for 3 points, so they won't sit back they will attack us like Luton did.

We have to be prepared for that and be able to deal with it. I don't care if we conceded 5 goals, as long as we win 6-5. But this won't be a walk in the park by any means what so ever. We're vulnurable comming from the Luton game and so are they comming from the Leicester game.

It's going to a difficult match.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Sabre » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:14 pm

Few matches of the EPL are a piece of cake, but I'm pretty confident on the team. What happened in Luton, was a matter related with the magic of cup competitions, I don't see vulnerability or signs of weakness there. It might seem easy to come back and score 5 goals against a lower team, but it isn't.

Perhaps, it will even benefit the team a lot. Rafa was angry, and I'm sure they've learnt a lesson, we have a solid defence but that's because of hard work, as soon as we get confident, even Luton can score 3 goals. So it might even strenghten us what happened in Luton
Last edited by Sabre on Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:19 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be another draw.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Effes » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:25 pm

A.B. wrote:It's going to a difficult match.

Defo agree.

I can see them scoring actually, and it'd be hard to get two.

We're 4-7 with one bookie which is outrageous IMO.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby El Nino_#9 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:36 pm

i can see a 2-0 win.

................reina
finnan...carra...hyypia...riise
gerrard..alonso..hamman..kewell
............crouch..garcia or cisse
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:51 pm

banana wrote:We will beat them. Their only real quality is Davids and Lee.

Lee who ?
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:52 pm

The Korean fella is known as Lee.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby JBG » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:04 pm

Spurs have always had teams giving their fans great optimism only for the team to inplode in spectacular fashion. That is why Spurs are seen as a bit of a joke club.

In fairness to them, they have a better history than say Chelsea.

For the first time in memory they seem to have a decent team. Jol is a good manager and they have (largely) purchased well. They have a good mix of youth and experience, of skill and power.

However, a bit of perspective is needed. How many times over the past year has a "darkhorse" to make some good strong running up until February only to collapse at the final furlong? Villa, Newcastle, Everton, Leeds?

Spurs are a decent side, but I cannot see them maintaining the pace. 5th place for me, Arsenal will catch them by the season's end.

They could theoretically turn us over tomorrow, but even if they do, I think it will be the high water mark for them.

If both sides play as well as they can, Liverpool to win by the odd goal.

This has a draw written all over it, Benitez has not beaten Spurs in the league since he took over, a draw wouldn't be a disaster, but we should be looking to win it.

Squad has recieved a boost with the two big (ish) signings, with more to come. Go on ye REDS!
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:09 pm

What the hell is with everyone dropping Finnan? Is he injured?

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby El Nino_#9 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:33 pm

Cool Hand Luke wrote:What the hell is with everyone dropping Finnan? Is he injured?

no, i think everyone is keen on seeing kromkamp in action in a full game.
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:39 pm

Quote (Cool Hand Luke @ Jan. 12 2006,22:09)
What the hell is with everyone dropping Finnan? Is he injured?

no, i think everyone is keen on seeing kromkamp in action in a full game.

Well I'm not. If Kronkamp was a left back, yes, I'd be keen on seeing him, but since Finnan is doing superbly IMHO, I think Kronkamp should wait to have his chance patiently, since that chance will appear sooner or later, with the amount of games we have to play.

In fact, I was pretty surprised of seeing Kronkamp playing so early, I just thought he should pick the rythm of the team in the training ground for a couple of weeks, but it looks like Rafa and his team relies on him, which is nice, btw.
Last edited by Sabre on Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Jari's mullet » Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:24 am

I think it will be 3-1 Liverpool

reina

finnan
carra
hyypia
riise

Garcia
gerrard
alonso
kewell

crouch
cisse

I am not too concerned about the middle, everytime gerrard has come up against Jenas he has bossed it.  People also under rate Alonso's ability to get stuck into a challenge, which he will need to do with Davids there.  Their Right wide player Lennon may give Riise some problems, he looked very fast and tricky against Leicester, Harry Kewell I think, needs to give Riise support defensively.
Jari's mullet

Postby LiverpoolMadman » Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:09 am

i think everyone is keen on seeing kromkamp in action in a full game.

Yup! me too . Prepare him for the Man u s match ...
LiverpoolMadman

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion