Spanish contingent - Concern or promising?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby jammydodger » Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:23 pm

I posted this in another thread, but figured it probably didn't belong there

__

Is anyone else concerned, about the large spanish contingent we seem to be building at Liverpool?

Although the core of the team is English (Stevie & Carra), we are lacking a northern european style of play. And it is this style that lead Liverpool of the 70's and 80's, Man Utd in the 90's (and what i expect to be chelsea in the 00's), so dominant in top flight football.

Also, at the moment, all of our top players (with the exception of Xabi) are all northern european.. Stevie/Carra/Didi/Hyypia/Riise/Finnan.. These players we'd find particularly difficult to replace.

It is also a concern for the english football team of the future, it only seems that Mourinho of all people is willing to invest in home grown talent (like he did with Porto). Even Fergie has moved abroad for precocious talent instead of nurturing players through the academy and developing a good host of young English players that would bode well for the future.

It's just a thought..
jammydodger

Postby mighty mo » Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:26 pm

in rafa we trust
mighty mo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:31 pm

Good point, i mean look at Arsenal and all their French players....complete disaster!  ???
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jammydodger » Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:33 pm

Yes - I agree, Arsenal's french players were consistantly the best side in England for all of... I'm drawing a blank here...
jammydodger

Postby gato_busta » Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:34 pm

of course Mourinho is interested in home grown talent, he is the only one with enough funds to buy the best home grown players of other teams.
"Jugadores hay muchos, ídolos muy pocos"

Descansa en paz Claudia (9/10/1984 - 11/25/2007)
gato_busta

Postby drummerphil » Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:00 pm

patience my dear boy :)
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby liamac » Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:07 pm

In Raffa we trust ....................... :bowdown   :bowdown   :bowdown

Have faith young padawan   :D
liamac
LFC Super Member

Postby Garymac » Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:21 pm

gato_busta wrote:of course Mourinho is interested in home grown talent, he is the only one with enough funds to buy the best home grown players of other teams.

exactly what i was gonna say, the english market is a farce, chelsea are the only ones willing and able to pay over the odds for english players, i for one isnt worried, we won the big one with them and many more to follow im sure
Garymac
LFC Super Member

Postby 109-1093441336 » Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:32 pm

jammydodger wrote:Is anyone else concerned, about the large spanish contingent we seem to be building at Liverpool?

Although the core of the team is English (Stevie & Carra), we are lacking a northern european style of play. And it is this style that lead Liverpool of the 70's and 80's, Man Utd in the 90's (and what i expect to be chelsea in the 00's), so dominant in top flight football.

Also, at the moment, all of our top players (with the exception of Xabi) are all northern european.. Stevie/Carra/Didi/Hyypia/Riise/Finnan.. These players we'd find particularly difficult to replace.

It is also a concern for the english football team of the future, it only seems that Mourinho of all people is willing to invest in home grown talent (like he did with Porto). Even Fergie has moved abroad for precocious talent instead of nurturing players through the academy and developing a good host of young English players that would bode well for the future.

You should of posted this ridiculous opinion last year.

As we've won the CL since, using those S.Europeans you feel so strongly about.

Well guess what, we're gonna have more.

Get used to it sunshine.
109-1093441336

Postby 66-1120597113 » Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:08 pm

Its common that when a Spanish manager takes over he brings Spanish players! If Raffa was French we'd have a lot of frogs in our team! If he was Italian likewise a lot of Italians!
I dont think its anything atal to be concerned about as the manager is using his friends and contacts in Spain hence not getting ripped off.Also he has worked with the palyers before so he knows what theyre capable of!
The only gamble hes took is the fact that not all may settle in and adapt to the more physical style of the English game!Morientes and Josemi im sure i dont need to highlight have struggled but as long as a Euro cup winning Raffa keeps the faith in them i will to!!well maybe until January anyway!
:D
66-1120597113

Postby Sabre » Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:14 pm

I'm Spanish and I don't like so many Spaniards in Liverpool. Not because they're Spaniards, that's irrelevant, but because not all of them are worth of playing in Liverpool F.C.

For the first time in all history, a foreign team is the one that provides most players to the Spanish Squad, that's Liverpool. And those are which are worth to play in Liverpool, Morientes, Xabi ALonso, Reina and Luis Garcia.

But I just didn't understand why Nuñez played last year or Josemi, for that matter, they're players who could play for Manchester City, but not for Liverpool, they're just average, and  there must be many players in England that are far better.

It's important that the players in a team understand the idiosincrasy (sp?) of the team, and if not, at least they must be bloody good.

Sabre
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby XSD » Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:04 pm

jammydodger wrote:Yes - I agree, Arsenal's french players were consistantly the best side in England for all of... I'm drawing a blank here...

For all of longer than we've managed in 15 years with our academy talent :/
XSD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Hotrod » Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:17 pm

it makes very little or no differance if our team is mainly spainsh mexican or iraqi for that matter, were there from had no effect on there talent, also you seem to be forgeting that compared to alot of clubs we have a fai amount of england internationals i mean we have gerrard carragher warnock carson kirkland(if he stays) raven( who captains engalnd and some level) and jon welsh palyed for the u21s today so we have a fair few decent english player and only chelsea have more decent engalnd players then we do
"GUYVER"
Hotrod

Postby stoney » Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:31 pm

On the whole we have brought it quality spanish players and we do still have a british core with the likes of carra, gerrard and finnan, crouch and we've got warnock who is still quite young so will be around a while therefore this aint really a problem and rafa is aware of needing an english core.
stoney
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Liverpool 4 EVA » Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:54 am

No problem at all.

As long as thge team doesn't become 100% foreign, I'm happy.

I think some of the Spanish players have been fabulous.

I don't see a problem with us signing even MORE Spaniards, as long as theyre quality, whats the problem?
Drummerphil - our thoughts are with you
Liverpool 4 EVA
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion