Something i noticed... - My attempt at a little article!

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 115-1073096938 » Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:07 pm

Last night as i watched the game, i was sitting there staring at the pitch and going through the motions watching a rather uninspiring Liverpool performance. This is something i have to admit, i've done to often over the years and i just hope we can win a league title or champions league trophy before the introduction of video technology. (those who know my stance on this understand why, but thats a different story and we'll cross that bridge if and when it comes).

However last night i noticed something after about 35 minutes. I was sitting there thinking to myself, i can't wait till half time.... Not because i wanted a coffee and a pie, but because i knew that once the players went into the dressing room they would be re-motivated, re-organised and come out looking a better side.

I was right.

Once the second half started it was much better although still not great, the movement improved, the effort improved and the tempo did aswell. Mostly down to Steven Gerrard and Sinama Pongolle, but in general it was an improvement. Instead of it being like the first half, 50% each and Watford giving as good as they got if not more, Liverpool pinned Watford in there own half for 10 minutes before they had any real chance to string a few passes together.

Then came the substituion of Baros for Mellor. Ok, Baros always has made an impact coming off the bench and because of his style he always will. But its not just been Baros this season. The substitutions have been excellent at times and nearly always seem to pay off. Alonso away to Fulham, Sinama and more so Mellor against Olympiakos then Baros last nite against Watford.

Under Houllier's reign, as content and sometimes chuffed as i was for long periods with some of his work, i never really felt a sub would make a difference or a half time team talk would lift the players. The only two i can remember off the top of my head were Charlton away where we won 4-0 and scored all in the second half and the 3-3 draw with Basel.

Where as in 6/7 months with Benitez, its happened numourus times already.

To me this is another indication we have the right man for the job. Hopefully, given time, the board, the club and the manager will all be proved right.
115-1073096938

Postby Big Niall » Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:10 pm

Electricity went in my neighbourhood at half time, I thought it was some retarded Asian betting syndicate who messed up how to do a fix.

Turned to booze instead, it was more fun than the first half.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:11 pm

:laugh:
115-1073096938

Postby banana » Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:11 pm

So you've finally turned your back on Houllier? It took a while, but it is never too late. It is never to late.
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby 115-1073096938 » Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:12 pm

What are you on about ay soft lad? ???
Last edited by 115-1073096938 on Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
115-1073096938

Postby jim_morrison_supported_liverpool » Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:13 pm

more or less beat me to that post stu.

i would love to know what the f*ck he says to them at half tme when we're playin bad, it nearly always works. i dont wanna get too excited about Benitez, he still has it all to do, but i've seen things that make me think he's better than any around, maybe barring Mourinho.

i'll keep quiet until something materialises however.
its not the chilli sauce on kebabs that give you ring-sting, its the actual meat. had one without chilli, and still had ring-sting. the chilli's only there to mask the nonsense they stuff inside that bread.
jim_morrison_supported_liverpool
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:16 pm

stu_the_red wrote:Last night as i watched the game, i was sitting there staring at the pitch and going through the motions watching a rather uninspiring Liverpool performance. This is something i have to admit, i've done to often over the years and i just hope we can win a league title or champions league trophy before the introduction of video technology. (those who know my stance on this understand why, but thats a different story and we'll cross that bridge if and when it comes).

However last night i noticed something after about 35 minutes. I was sitting there thinking to myself, i can't wait till half time.... Not because i wanted a coffee and a pie, but because i knew that once the players went into the dressing room they would be re-motivated, re-organised and come out looking a better side.

I was right.

Once the second half started it was much better although still not great, the movement improved, the effort improved and the tempo did aswell. Mostly down to Steven Gerrard and Sinama Pongolle, but in general it was an improvement. Instead of it being like the first half, 50% each and Watford giving as good as they got if not more, Liverpool pinned Watford in there own half for 10 minutes before they had any real chance to string a few passes together.

Then came the substituion of Baros for Mellor. Ok, Baros always has made an impact coming off the bench and because of his style he always will. But its not just been Baros this season. The substitutions have been excellent at times and nearly always seem to pay off. Alonso away to Fulham, Sinama and more so Mellor against Olympiakos then Baros last nite against Watford.

Under Houllier's reign, as content and sometimes chuffed as i was for long periods with some of his work, i never really felt a sub would make a difference or a half time team talk would lift the players. The only two i can remember off the top of my head were Charlton away where we won 4-0 and scored all in the second half and the 3-3 draw with Basel.

Where as in 6/7 months with Benitez, its happened numourus times already.

To me this is another indication we have the right man for the job. Hopefully, given time, the board, the club and the manager will all be proved right.

good point stu.

it's interesting what you are saying about substitutions. towards the end of houlliers reign, the majority of his substitutions left the fans baffled. i could even go as far as to say that a certain substitution he made cost us a european cup final appearance. however benitez seems to have some kind of midas touch when it comes to substitutions. bringing sinama pongolle on at half time against olympiakos proved to be an inspired decision.

in terms of playing better in the second half of games, i think this is definitely the case when we are attacking the kop in the second half.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 115-1073096938 » Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:16 pm

Mmm, for once Jimbo, we agree. :D

Still only potential, but he's showing it if you ask me.

To me, Mourinho seems better with lesser players than the BIG BIG names, but seems to get the very best out of what he has. I think Benitez and Mourinho could be the next duel to develope over the coming years.
115-1073096938

Postby JBG » Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:18 pm

Quality post Stu and a quality point.

It really became apparent in Houllier's later days that he was not able to turn around "lost causes" whereas Benitez really seems to have that gift.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby 115-1073096938 » Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:22 pm

good point stu.

it's interesting what you are saying about substitutions. towards the end of houlliers reign, the majority of his substitutions left the fans baffled. i could even go as far as to say that a certain substitution he made cost us a european cup final appearance. however benitez seems to have some kind of midas touch when it comes to substitutions. bringing sinama pongolle on at half time against olympiakos proved to be an inspired decision.

in terms of playing better in the second half of games, i think this is definitely the case when we are attacking the kop in the second half.

The point about subbing Hamann, I disagree completely. Scapegoat, Hamann wasn't in the game full stop. He was having a stinker and giving the ball away in the match. That decision didn't cost us the match i can assure you. The decision to leave 4 midfielders in there against bayer's 6 cost us the match. Thats a different debate though and i refuse to go into that as it makes me seeth with anger when people blame that result on that decision.

Secondly it doesn't matter what way we're shooting, its just in general. Weather its at home or away, if an improvement's needed, there always seems to be one.
115-1073096938

Postby jim_morrison_supported_liverpool » Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:34 pm

stu_the_red wrote:Mmm, for once Jimbo, we agree. :D

Still only potential, but he's showing it if you ask me.

To me, Mourinho seems better with lesser players than the BIG BIG names, but seems to get the very best out of what he has. I think Benitez and Mourinho could be the next duel to develope over the coming years.

thank f*ck for that.

well its either agree, or risk gettin a earful from you. :D

i reckon Mourinho/Benitez are the furure of management - seriously. *see i've gone and done it now. i was gonna try and not compliment Benitez too much until he's been here a season at least. but i cant help it.*
its not the chilli sauce on kebabs that give you ring-sting, its the actual meat. had one without chilli, and still had ring-sting. the chilli's only there to mask the nonsense they stuff inside that bread.
jim_morrison_supported_liverpool
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:37 pm

stu_the_red wrote:The point about subbing Hamann, I disagree completely. Scapegoat, Hamann wasn't in the game full stop. He was having a stinker and giving the ball away in the match. That decision didn't cost us the match i can assure you. The decision to leave 4 midfielders in there against bayer's 6 cost us the match. Thats a different debate though and i refuse to go into that as it makes me seeth with anger when people blame that result on that decision.

having a shocker or not, it didn't make sense to take off our best defensive midfielder and bring on smicer when we were trying to defend a lead on away goals with ten minutes to go.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 115-1073096938 » Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:42 pm

Like i said...

I'm not going to go there.
115-1073096938

Postby jonnymac1979 » Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:52 pm

stu_the_red wrote:I think Benitez and Mourinho could be the next duel to develope over the coming years.

Agreed. 

I said that even after Chelsea had beaten us.  Ferguson and Wenger can trade blows as often as they want.  Mourinho and Benitez will eclipse them and leave them behind over the next year or two.
jonnymac1979

Postby Big Niall » Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:00 pm

Wenger and Ferguson have one European cup between them, how many will Mourinho and Benitez have in 10 years?
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion