Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Sissoko or alonso - Pick one

Sissoko
32%
Alonso
68%

Total votes : 107

Postby LegBarnes » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:10 pm

stmichael wrote:Im still waiting on Xabi to get back to 2005 level. It strange that a player who strikes the ball so well and with precision ( while passing or lobbing from 60 yards ) has such a poor shot. I believe we will be a better team with the chief in the middle next to Gerrard.

it think xabi is one of those players needs a batch of games in 2005 he played almost every week.

I hope i he proves me wrong and turns on the form agian i really do.
LegBarnes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC1982 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:17 pm

Got to be Xabi all the way, he's a class act along with Mascherano, I think both of these compliment Gerrard's game the most.  Don't get me wrong I think Momo's enthusiasm is great to see and his tackling is second to none but he really needs to up the other parts of his game if he wants to be a big player in a Liverpool team pushing to bring the League home, like when he wins an amazing tackle then passes to the nearest player on the other team, or when he goes past someone and scuffs his shot!!!

He's still young enough to become a class act though hopefully!!!
LFC1982

Postby redhayesy » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:23 pm

stmichael wrote:I actually think we have too many midfielders.

Gerrard
Alonso
Mascherano
Kewell
Pennant
Sissoko
Leiva
Leto

Add to this lot Babel (wide midfielder cum striker)
Add possibly another top notch winger (Quaresma/Mancini/Simao)

If we assume Leto won't really get a look in just yet (possibly a faulty assumption, but that's how I see it) I still don't see how on earth we're going to accommodate all of our players, even taking the potential new arrivals such as Babel/Quaresma out of the equation.

I think we may have made an error by not selling Sissoko (unless we are hedging our bets with Mascherano's long term being undecided). Not that I've got it in for Sissoko, but £10M in the coffers might turn out to have been an opportunity missed if he value diminished and his development stalls due to not playing nearly enough (this might easily be applied to one or two other midfielders we have, just in case anybody thinks I'm singling out Big Mo).

Perhaps in January we might see one or even two shipped out, giving Rafa time to look at how the newbies settle.

good post mate,however i still think that competition
for places in every area not just midfield is what we
have ben crying out for, because if any player in any
posistion doesn"t perform week in weekout then i
totally agree with raffa"s rotation of the sqaud.
don"t get me wrong i don"t agree all the time with
rotating players for the sake of it, but surley healthy
competition for any place in the sqaud is the way to go!
i think that with all the midfielders we have- if someone
gets injured for aguments sake surley it will make them want
to ge fitter quicker if they know there place in the sqaud
is under threat. i thinkthis is a massive few mounths
ahead for alot of players - and i for one think that
if a player doesn"t take his opportunity when picked
they have only themselves to blame,example fo me is kewell
he needs to ensure when he is picked again, he fights
for his place, i really think this is a massive season for him
and welcome the idea of players fighting for there place.
redhayesy
LFC Super Member

Postby Scottbot » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:51 am

LegBarnes wrote:He reminds me so much of keane of man u its unreal he just need a bit more practice with his passing and he be the perfect defensive midfielder.

I'm a fan of Momo but it's very doubtful his passing will get a great better deal over the next few years. He's 22, no doubt he's been playing football since he was 6-7 years old, passing is the most basic skill in football and it's probably as good (or thereabouts) as it's gonna get with Momo. Xabi alonso had his best season at the club (2005) when he was 22 years old and proved to be a real pass-master. That skill hasn't diminished or improved over the last three years has it? He's still the same player and i expect Momo will be too in three years time. No doubt he can improve his composure, his movements during a game, decision making, leadership skills etc as he gains experience but i suspect his ability to pass the ball will not suddenly fly through the roof.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion