Sissoko or alonso - Pick one

Sissoko
32%
Alonso
68%

Total votes : 107

Postby Penguins » Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:22 am

This a no brainer.

We are Liverpool football club. What is our ambition?
Will we be the team pushing, controlling play, be creative and using the possession to create goals?

YES

Is Momo needed in those games which includes 95% of all the games during the season?

NO

is Alonsos passing and vision good to have during most games to distribute the ball?

YES

Momo is only, and I repeat only good when facing barca, Arsenal, Chelski, Milan away where we have to disrupt their play and passing. we are not a destructive team normally and depend more on passing and skill.

And people can say "it was just one game" but please everyone watch the game vs Middlesbrough at home this season.
you can blame a lot of things, but he made simple mistakes practically every minute when he had the ball.
Every attack broke down when he got the ball.
He gave the ball away almost everytime with poor passes.

We need attacking midfielders and skilled midfielders, we have enough of players than don't create and score enough.
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby LFC2007 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:47 am

I'd contend that this is an unfair comparison since the two are in entirely different moulds.

Sissoko has ability that Alonso will never have, abilty that has been proven to be needed and proven to be effective.

Likewise, Alonso has ability that Sissoko will never have, ability that has beeen proven to be effective.

If Momo is only good against the sides you've cited, I'd say that's pretty useful given they are soem of the best sides in Europe.
LFC2007

Postby Penguins » Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:54 am

yap, true

But which teams do u play during a whole season?

Alonso's strenghts are much more useful to us because of the way we play and our ambitions.
A top team like Liverpool will always have possesion and opponents will often park the bus infront of goal home or away.
This means passing, creativity, vision, scoring are all extremely vital for us.

Momo has many qualities but not those we need most games.
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby lio » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:33 am

.. just voted Alonso.
My heart tells me so.
:hearts
lio

Postby maguskwt » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:39 am

no contest...i'd keep alonso over sissoko any day...sissoko is only good at disrupting plays that's all...he's a poor man's hamann if you ask me...plus we got mascherano who can tackle as good as sissoko...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kopite187 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:11 am

i voted sissosko to stay

somehow i see him having a good future if at juventus..cant let that happen..

i know, its very chelsea of me to think this way :D
Kopite187

Postby Elchris » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:22 am

Alonso full stop.

IF Alonso was on form last season...not many people would really care if sissoko was going to leave and we would never have a poll to choose between them.Would love to keep sissoko but the boy needs game to improve..All the best momo. I will miss him.
Elchris

Postby MASTER » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:36 am

This is fairly simple right Xabi want's out and Sissoko is injury prone, so just get the best price for the both of them and take Reo-Coker from the hammers plus we have Lucas Leiva arriving for £8m and he does everything alonso does and we could do with more English players to compliment the extreme talents of Gerrard, Mascherano, Carragher, Finnan and the other squad players.
MASTER

Postby Sabre » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:38 am

MASTER wrote:This is fairly simple right Xabi want's out and Sissoko is injury prone, so just get the best price for the both of them and take Reo-Coker from the hammers plus we have Lucas Leiva arriving for £8m and he does everything alonso does and we could do with more English players to compliment the extreme talents of Gerrard, Mascherano, Carragher, Finnan and the other squad players.

He does everything Alonso does.

???

Have you seen him playing 90 mins? not 180, or 270 mins, no, just 90 mins?

I haven't, so I don't know what he does and what he doesn't, but for starters reports about him say he's an attacking midfielder.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rockthekop » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:21 am

No contest, Alonso to stay unless we get a crazy offer! Mascherano is a top player, Sissoko sadly isn't of the same standard...his distribution is awful, his tackling is good, his hounding skills superb! He would be immense if his skill matched his effort.
Rockthekop

Postby mungi » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:31 am

alonso wants out, u got to be kidding me
mungi
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Nando » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:09 pm

I had this discussion yesterday with my friend. We have at our disposal 4 world class midfielders, a luxury we have never had before. Each midfielder offers something different to the team. I think Mascherano has done enough since January to prove that he will be the holding midfielder for the majority of the next season and I think Rafa is going to deploy Gerrard in a more attacking central role.

So where does that leave Xabi Alonso and Momo Sissoko. Alonso is the more elegant of the two. His touch, vision and ability to pull off the passes surpasses Sissoko. But Momo's workrate and effort is on another level and he is purely there as an enforcer. His passing is really bad but with the right coaching all we need him to do is to be able to play simple 5 or 10 yard passes like makelele. We have shifted Gerrard onto the right wing to accomodate Alonso and it hasnt worked. Gerrards drive and ability to quicken the pace of the game is second to none. Sissoko has more potential than Alonso. We have seen the best of Xabi and know he isnt very mobile or dynamic so that cant be changed. Sissoko can learn to pass and I dread selling him to another European giant because I think there he could realise his potential and go on to become one of the best midfielders in Europe. We would lose out a lot more with Sissoko than we would Alonso.
Nando
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:37 pm

MASTER wrote:This is fairly simple right Xabi want's out and Sissoko is injury prone, so just get the best price for the both of them and take Reo-Coker from the hammers plus we have Lucas Leiva arriving for £8m and he does everything alonso does and we could do with more English players to compliment the extreme talents of Gerrard, Mascherano, Carragher, Finnan and the other squad players.

:no
LFC2007

Postby metalhead » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:42 pm

Alonso to stay ofcourse!

why?

Alonso, is more creative, better technically, intelligent and a far more better passer of the ball than sissoko!

Sissoko is just physically stronger than alonso.

Alonso is quality!
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:41 pm

Penguins wrote:Momo has many qualities but not those we need most games.

Well vs. Barcelona he seemed pretty useful, likewise against Chelsea and Arsenal etc.

If that's not evidence he can do a job, what is?
LFC2007

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion