Sissoko - Myth or hope?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:29 pm

club_Levis wrote:I am always worried when fellows feel hardworking players ala Kuyt, Momo and Crouch shouldnt be criticised.

Kuyt has been poor since Christmas but when you consider some of the jokers we've had upfront in recent years, some fans should realise how lucky we are to hjave him. The likes of Morientes, Cisse, Heskey and Baros couldn't lace the guy's boots.

He's already an improvement on all of the above, despite what the statistic laden madmen would have you think, you can see this with your eyes. Baros and Cisse would be more akin to Bellamy but the comparisons with Moro and Heskey are valid and I think Dirk has so far encapsulated the better qualities of both these players. Given he's in his first season I'd call it promising as opposed to underwhelming. w

While he might not be as strong or quick as Heskey or have as silken a touch as Moro all round he's an improvement on them as individuals. You cannot disregard the fact that he's playing as a 2nd striker (though some insist on doing so), or that its his first season at the club, or that of our attacking players 4 are new to the club this season, or that he's used to a mid season break and hasn't had one for the 1st time in his career and all this off a WC year. And yet for some reason people have already come to the conclusion that he's not good enough. I don't get it? I'm not saying he's world class or that he's already there but I'd be positive about that guy as opposed to negative.

And as for Crouch, he'll always get criticised, despite the fact that he's our top scorer this season and has scored more goals than any other English striker in the calendar year. To be honest I've found Rafa's treatment of him this season bizarre to say the least. Everytime he scores he seems to get dropped.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby boobs » Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:42 am

The way that people here describing class player... is must be Zidane alike. By the way Momo passing wasn't that awful.... Team is play as a unit... which has it own role in each part of it... and that's when the unit will more functionally...???  certainly major AC Milan fans wasn't complaint about Gattuso as much as people here direct at Sissoko... Viera tag on him has been blinding people view on him.. which wrong to do that. Benitez surely has known momo inside and  out about his general play... that which makes him great tactician because Benitez thinking about the way unit work is.... Correct me if i am wrong? how can people be sure that Momo will nearly stagnant at his learn "skill" that people complaint about him? On what basis you said it will stagnant ??? and his skill was that awful also... Momo skill and passing is decent for premiership standard.. not great but not bad... But you must see is his what he is class about... his tackling & his closing down & his work rate... that which makes him class about... in his kind of type midfielder is... Hail Momo the Destroyer! :p
Last edited by boobs on Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
boobs

Postby Effes » Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:55 am

wrighty (not mark!) wrote:Crouch's knock downs.

Im not having a go at you, mate, but that phrase is beginning
to get on my t!ts.

If we are gonna use Crouch mainly because of his "knock downs" - then that implies playing long ball a lot of the time.

That's not what LFC are about, never has been.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:05 am

On the question of Sissoko I disagree with those who think his technical ability restricts him from being a player of top quality. I think when unshackled he is the most destructive ball-winning midfielder just about anywhere in Europe right now and will only get better. I think that he will become a fantastic player given a bit of time. You've probably guessed it by now I really rate the guy and I think that those who don't are calling it wrong. We'll see.
As for Crouch I certainly believe he has improved while he has been here. I actually feel a little sorry for him this season in that he started off at an absolute gallop and couldn't stop scoring, only to become the victim of some of Rafa's more baffling "rotations" just when he was in the form of his career. Anybody who needs a demonstration of the theory that over rotation just becomes silly and does nothing for players confidence could study the form of Crouch early in the season. It actually became a perfect example of how to rotate a player out of form.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rafa D » Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:31 am

Mick what do you think of the situation in our centre midfield now? We arguably have four centre midfielders who would improve any team in the world in Alonso, Sissoko, Gerrard and Maschereno. I know they all bring different qualities to the team and all have there own unique style but 4 into 2 definetly does not go, especially when you consider the amount of talent each of our midfielders possess.

Much to the annoyance of many people on here, I can see Gerrard being shifted about a lot next year. The centre, left and the right of midfield are all options of where to put our BEST CENTRE midfielder and I can see Rafa using him a lot to plug the holes. I know its not ideal but I have to agree with the thinking behind it, I would rather have Stevie on the wing than Pennant or Mark G at the moment. However even more questions are going to be asked if Pennant and/or Mark make the step up next year and prove why Rafa had the faith to buy them.

Alonso it seems is Rafa's golden boy. He was his first major buy and the team does seem to revolve around him. He is the fabled  "quarterback role" for us and his array of passing makes him very dangerous when he is on form. I don't think I have seen a better passer of the ball at Anfield since I have been going. He started off badly at the start of the season, but I dont think we should expect that next year (no WC), so as long as he is fit and in form, his CM spot is virtually guarenteed in my eyes.

Here's where it gets interesting. Momo is absolutely brilliant when he is on form. Wherever the opposition have the ball you can virtually guarentee Sissoko isn't more that 10 yards away. His energy and practical harassment of the ball make him such a horrible player to play against. Earlier on in the seaosn when he was out with his shoulder injury - I  noticed at how long it took us to get the ball back off the opposition when he was not playing and it was a long time! I distinctively remember PSV at home where they kept the ball very well and a major fact was Momo's absence.
His form since his injury has been ok, but he seems to have come in for a fair bit of stick on these boards, unjustly in my opinion, but I do have one qualm about him and its his inability to make a decision when he has the ball. He has often won the ball and ran with it and left it too late and been tackled or his pass has been very poor. If he fixed this in his game, he would be potentially one of the best midfielders in the world, some complement but thats how highly I rate the guy. If he cannot fix it, he needs to just do a "Makalele" and win the ball and just play the short simple pass to Gerrard/Alonso or another playmaker who can damage people with the ball.

and finally Maschereno , I haven't seen much of him live, but he does look like a good footballer. Like most Argentinians, he has great technical ability and is very comfortable on the ball,unlike Momo, and save a few bad challenges and first touches (mainly down to match fitness) he looks a international class player and his 22 caps prove that.

I know Rafa likes to rotate but the quality that these 4 players have means its going to take a lot of persuading for them to be happy on the bench, it is going to be very interesting but I suppose its a problem we , and Rafa are grateful to have.
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:08 am

I think we will play a lot more 4-5-1 next season, possibly pushing gerrard further forwards. With all the games we play we are gonna need a strong line up in the middle of the park. Momo, mascher, alonso and stevie all add something different to the team and are players that any team in the world would love to have.

I cant see the problem. Even if stevie is shifted around a bit, hes the best player on the park even if hes in goal and hes up for the challenge.

Momo does need to be on form though, when hes ot top of his game he can look fricking awful, but thats the same with most players i suppose.
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:11 am

Well to answer Rafa and Daws's points, I've long been an advocate of Gerrard on the right because I think he's a better player there. For me, Sissoko and Alonso central with Gerrard on the right is our best combo. Chuck in a World class left mid and I'd put that group up against any other four around to be honest.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rafa D » Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:34 am

I would like to see a return to the 4-5-1 to be honest with you. I know it is not exactly the mosty attacking formation but we were very good defensively when we played it and we always managed to nick a goal with Gerrard and co on the pitch.

The problem then lies with the sole striker role , which btw I think Crouch occupies perfectly, so what to do with Kuyt and Bellamy?
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby grayghost » Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:40 pm

Rumours are that momo could be leaving for barca we are preety well off in the central department i think instead off selling him loan him to barca if he can,t improve his tecnical ability there with the players they have then he just does,t have it.

Idont know how can pepole say stevie is beeter on the wing than in the centre (HELLO Adorra game Stevie shown why in that poation he is one off the best in the world on the right he is merly a good player)
grayghost

Postby stmichael » Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:22 pm

In answer to Rafa-Dodd and Bigmick, despite the excellent players we have in that area of the pitch, we desperately need more goal scoring power in the midfield. Ronaldo has scored more goals in the league this season than our midfielders together. 

Number one priority in the summer should be world class left midfielder with pace, good technique and goal scoring ability. Recent champions prove that you need four players who can score regularly in the league. Chelsea had Lampard, Drogba, Robben and Cole. Arsenal had Henry, Bergkamp, Ljungberg and Pires.

In my opinion priorites should be;

a) Left winger
b) Improve general skill level and passing ability of the team. Players like Riise and Sissoko shouldn't be first team regulars next season.
c) New striker.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Bad Bob » Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:21 pm

grayghost wrote:Rumours are that momo could be leaving for barca we are preety well off in the central department i think instead off selling him loan him to barca if he can,t improve his tecnical ability there with the players they have then he just does,t have it.

Idont know how can pepole say stevie is beeter on the wing than in the centre (HELLO Adorra game Stevie shown why in that poation he is one off the best in the world on the right he is merly a good player)

For the love of God, lad, please edit your posts so that they're at least comprehensible before you post them.  It gets tedious wading through a swamp of typos just to sort out your point.  ???
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby RedBlood » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:11 pm

loool you really are bad init bob
RedBlood
LFC Super Member

Postby Bad Bob » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:59 pm

RedBlood wrote:loool you really are bad init bob

A spell check wouldn't go amiss in your case, either, boyo!  :angry:

:D
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby wrighty (not mark!) » Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:54 pm

Effes wrote:
wrighty (not mark!) wrote:Crouch's knock downs.

Im not having a go at you, mate, but that phrase is beginning
to get on my t!ts.

If we are gonna use Crouch mainly because of his "knock downs" - then that implies playing long ball a lot of the time.

That's not what LFC are about, never has been.

Well you implying that i am advocating long ball football gets on my t!ts. Not once did I mention long ball. I'm talking about second balls, Crosses flying in from the wings. Crouch scores goals, he creates space. Club_Levis making out that Crouch is just a hard working player and nothing more is an insult to the player. A lot of out and out strikers would love to have him as their partner.
Last edited by wrighty (not mark!) on Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wrighty (not mark!)
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby club_Levis » Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:22 am

Rafa-Dodd wrote:I would like to see a return to the 4-5-1 to be honest with you. I know it is not exactly the mosty attacking formation but we were very good defensively when we played it and we always managed to nick a goal with Gerrard and co on the pitch.

The problem then lies with the sole striker role , which btw I think Crouch occupies perfectly, so what to do with Kuyt and Bellamy?

A 4-5-1 formation needs a strong, quick and a proven goalscorer as is based on counter attack. Using Crouch in that role is a recipe for disaster. We would loose most games.
club_Levis

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion