Sinama - Should rafa let him go? why?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby whylongball? » Fri Oct 22, 2004 6:49 am

Cool Hand Luke wrote:I would be tempted to drop Cisse and give Pongolle a few games. This would benefit both Pongolle who would a chance to impress and Cisse will be able to look at the team from the outside and maybe pick up a few things.

rightly so
whylongball?

Postby Starbridge42 » Fri Oct 22, 2004 7:12 am

Keep him
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby addicted norwegian » Fri Oct 22, 2004 10:05 am

Rafa has claimed earlier that he isn`t gonna offload any players without giving them a chance to prove their skills. Sinama has just recovered from injury and, imo, he hasn`t got a proper chance to covince Benitez weather he`s Liverpool-material or not. I think that he will be given a chance to play full 90 mins against Milwall, and personally I hope that he will deliever the goods, as I believe that he`s got potencial of becoming a class-player.
addicted norwegian
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maximus » Fri Oct 22, 2004 11:21 am

anfieldadorer wrote:Image

Rafael Benitez claims Pongolle will be given opportunities at Anfield providing he knuckles down and plays well when called upon. Pongolle recently said he wanted to quit Liverpool after becoming frustrated at the lack of first team opportunities.

"If he plays at the same level he did against Deportivo then he will get a chance.
"He played very well in the ten minutes at the end of the game.
" When you change a player during the game you want to see something different and Sinama-Pongolle played very well.
"He is quick and can dribble and does different things.

Does he deserve more regular matches in liverpool jersey?

Dead ringer for KANU
maximus
LFC Super Member

Postby ivor_the_injun » Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:46 pm

He's potentially a very good player, but - yeah - he needs to sort his head out. Maybe if TLT comes back after his loan spell that'll help matters? Now there's a player we really should have at our disposal right now.

Was very encouraged by the little I saw of him against Deportivo, and it wouldn't surprise me if he got a start on the back of it. To be honest, I wouldn't mind seeing him on the right - he looks versatile and tricksy enough to do the kind of wingers role that Diouf was asked to do.
ivor_the_injun

Postby stmichael » Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:48 pm

ivor_the_injun wrote:To be honest, I wouldn't mind seeing him on the right - he looks versatile and tricksy enough to do the kind of wingers role that Diouf was asked to do.

i don't think that suggestion is as ludicrous as some people suggest. i suggested it a while back. newcastle have done it with bellamy. arsenal did it with wiltord. hell even manure did it with solskjaer.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby JBG » Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:22 pm

Pongolle showed glimpses of genuine ability when he came on against Deportivo and looks like he has put on some muscle from last year.

BTW, with his new hair style he looks like Ronaldinho, but obviously doesn't have the same "Dwight Yorke" teeth.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby maximus » Fri Oct 22, 2004 3:53 pm

John Barnes' Granny wrote:BTW, with his new hair style he looks like Ronaldinho

Shame he is not as good as Ronaldinho  :D
maximus
LFC Super Member

Postby JBG » Fri Oct 22, 2004 3:57 pm

I think he deserves a few run outs. It would be terrible if he was to go without ever really getting a chance.

Last year he looked impressive at times when he got a few starts, and as I said, I thought he looked physically stronger when I saw him come on last Tuesday night.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby stmichael » Fri Oct 22, 2004 4:02 pm

i think we could well see him starting on wednesday against millwall, hopefully alongside warnock, potter etc. don't weaken the side too much but give some of the so called "fringe players" (apart from diao) and youngsters a chance.  to impress. :)
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby JBG » Fri Oct 22, 2004 4:26 pm

If I was picking the team for Millwall I'd go for something like this:

Kirkland
Finnan
Traore
Henchoz
Josemi
Biscan
Warnock
Potter
Kewell
Pongolle
Diao

I think this would be a blend of a few youngsters as well as a few first team regulars and a couple of other guys who are at the fringes of the squad. I'd keep Kirkland there as he needs a run of games and I'd experiment with Finnan at left back, where he sometimes plays for Ireland. I'd also give Traore a go at centre half and give Henchoz a chance (if he's fit). Elsewhere Diao and Biscan could do with a few games and Kewell needs a run as well.

If the game didn't go that well I'd spring Baros, Cisse and Alonso from the bench, but if we do well I'd be inclined to give someone like Welsh, Raven or Whitbread a run out as well (if they are fit).
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Redrider » Fri Oct 22, 2004 7:16 pm

Millwall, even without Cahill, are too good a side to put a team as weak as the above. We will get beaten at the Den unless we have muscle in there. Carra and Hypia should play.
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby The Canadian Red Army » Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:18 pm

diao shouldnt play
we need someone to base our attack around like garcia
or a play maker like alonso
RIP - Drummerphil - YNWA
" Whats a holly kipper CRA? Is that a scene from batman and Robin :D" - CGGY
This is soo true - Daniel - sweetest guy in the world,soft and gentle but good in bed! hes a keeper!!!!!!
The Canadian Red Army
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:19 pm

I'm not underestimating Millwall at all Redrider and I said in a thread a few weeks ago that they are a side who could shock us even if we put out a full strength team.

However, certain players need to be tried out, and as we are short of serious cover at the moment, I'd be keen on giving a few of the fringe players like Biscan, Diao, Troare and Henchoz a full 90 minutes as we may need to call on them later on in the season. I think the league cup is something the boss should use to experiment and try out fringe players (like Man UTD and Arsenal do) and should only be taken seriously if we managed to get through to the later stages.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby 67-1098209959 » Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:23 pm

I would give Pongolle a go on Tuesday against Millwall. Give him the full 90 and see how he does.
67-1098209959

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion