SIMON MIGNOLET- Official thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby damjan193 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:06 pm

Actually he's been like that since January. He's had a great year so far and the fact that he has the most clean sheets in the PL isn't by chance.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby SkippyRed » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:41 am

Playing very well. Looks to be more commanding and is distributing a lot better, has taken the first touch away. I would like to him to roll the ball out a bit more but can't really fault him too much.
SkippyRed
LFC Advanced Member

Postby Reg » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:02 am

damjan193 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:06 am wrote:Actually he's been like that since January. He's had a great year so far and the fact that he has the most clean sheets in the PL isn't by chance.

Well said mate, the players should be praised when they're performing well, y'know before they make a mistake and everyone attacks them.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ethanr » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:25 am

The things most have been concerned about with him were his ability to command and control the box, and his distribution-hes' always been a good shot stopper. He finally looks like he has the confidence to take control of his box, and his distribution has improved. If he continues to play the way he has been he could be one of the better keepers in the prem.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby SkippyRed » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:58 am

Thought I would bump his thread in appreciation for the game he had. Some absolute cracking saves.

Just needs to not take a first touch when kicking out but that is something that will come when we get a decent keeper coach.
SkippyRed
LFC Advanced Member

Postby alxy » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:08 am

Agreed. But then we always knew he was a good shot stopper, it's the other parts of his game that need improving
alxy

Postby kazza » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:20 am

He still looks to me like an accident waiting to happen. The saves he made I would expect him to make without taking anything away from him. I still think we will need an upgrade on him to really progress.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:00 am

He is looking a bit more confident with the ball at his feet though, I'm not saying he has suddenly morphed into Pepe Reina (who was excellent with his feet) but he doesn't shank as many clearances as he used to and he seems to be striking the ball a lot cleaner, there's a much better flight to his clearances now.
He seems to be catching a lot more crosses these days as well, he used to flap at everything but he only punches when he is in heavy traffic which is also good to see.
Don't get me wrong he's still not 100% convincing and you always get the feeling that a f[uc]k up is just around the corner but he is definately less shaky than he was 12 months ago so maybe he's growing into the job.
At 27 he is still a young man in keeper terms and he has over a decade at the top left in him, as keepers get towards their 30's they tend to calm down a bit too so personally I'd stick with him, btw in terms of pure shot stopping he's as good as Ray Clemence.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby alxy » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:14 pm

kazza » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:20 am wrote:He still looks to me like an accident waiting to happen. The saves he made I would expect him to make without taking anything away from him. I still think we will need an upgrade on him to really progress.

To be fair, our whole defence looks like an accident waiting to happen. Even though Sakho was immense that day, everytime he touched the ball (especially with forwards pressing him), I got nervous. But I suppose more such performances will eventually help to steady their and our nerves and we get used to them playing solidly
alxy

Postby SkippyRed » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:55 am

Replacing Migs is not that easy when you think about it.

Our biggest gripes on him are his distribution and his kicking, so we want a keeper that can do all that, but they still need to be a better shot stopper than Migs.

He is getting better on crosses now, he doesn't flap as much and only punches in traffic. His kicking can be worked on, but I feel if we are to be on a limited budget then he would be one of the players I would replace later.
SkippyRed
LFC Advanced Member

Postby leeroy74 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:54 am

The keeper with the most clean sheets in 2015? The keeper who has earned us points in some games? yeah lets replace him.
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby damjan193 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:17 am

leeroy74 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:54 am wrote:The keeper with the most clean sheets in 2015? The keeper who has earned us points in some games? yeah lets replace him.

I can't really make it up to be honest. With all the problems in our squad people are still looking to replace our vastly improved goalie. Sometimes I feel like I'm back in the playground where everybody thinks it's because of the goalie that we lost and not because the rest of us played like Sh*t.

First we should strengthen our midfield, then bring in a defence that can actually defend, and finally, if we're still not happy with our keeper (who'd probably look a lot better by then), we can start thinking about replacing him. At the moment however, Mignolet is in fact one of our better performers.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby leeroy74 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:41 pm

I think some people are still hurt by the Pepe saga and refuse to support whoever we have in nets.
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:49 pm

The same Pepe who told Rodgers he was off to Barca, only for the move to fall through after we'd already bought his replacement in Migs?  The same Pepe who's picking splinters out of his ar$e at the bench at Bayern?
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:54 pm

Improved or not he is still an extremely average goal keeper, he has good shot stopping but the rest of his game leaves a lot to be desired. A replacement is needed as soon as possible, someone who can kick the ball in a straight line would be a start.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion