SIMON MIGNOLET- Official thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:16 pm

i agree with stu and vds here, what vds said was `strange way to save a weak effort` and he was right, i dont think vds was having a go at mingolet for making the mistake as such more his choice of goalkeeping technique.
instead of just doing the basics and getting his hands behind the flight of the ball he tried the more spectacular option of rotating his arm and scooping the ball over the bar. i think when mingolet saw the half hit shot coming at him he thought `this ones a cinch, i`ll jazz this save up a bit for the camera`s, a big save in a big game is always good for the rep`.
but as we all know he made a right pigs breakfast of the whole thing.
hopefully he`ll learn from it, i think he`ll be sticking to the basics from now on.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Stu the Red » Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:28 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:16 pm wrote:i agree with stu and vds here, what vds said was `strange way to save a weak effort` and he was right, i dont think vds was having a go at mingolet for making the mistake as such more his choice of goalkeeping technique.
instead of just doing the basics and getting his hands behind the flight of the ball he tried the more spectacular option of rotating his arm and scooping the ball over the bar. i think when mingolet saw the half hit shot coming at him he thought `this ones a cinch, i`ll jazz this save up a bit for the camera`s, a big save in a big game is always good for the rep`.
but as we all know he made a right pigs breakfast of the whole thing.
hopefully he`ll learn from it, i think he`ll be sticking to the basics from now on.

I'm not so sure though yakka.

If you look back through my posts mate I've not been convinced from day one because of this "style" of goalkeeping.

I've heard people raving over some saves Mignolet's made because he's diving around all over the shop. Over the years I've seen Reina stop many shots that looked troublesome by simply taking a step left or right and parrying a ball down then into his hands. Where this season so far I've seen Mignolet throw himself to the ground dealing with similar calibre of shots and get raved over for it. I've even seen him dive a good few times when shots have been straight at him.

Any keeper can make a mistake, its not the mistake that I have a problem with, its the manor of the mistake. He concede's a  lot of corners too from his extravigant style. For me, he's done ok so far, but the jury is still out big time. I'm extremely hopeful we can still keep Reina as he's still our player, the season away seems to be doing his form the world of good.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby damjan193 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:38 pm

Ah, I see. I guess it makes sense if you put it like that.

To Mign's defense though, the ball wasn't THAT simple to save. It was poorly executed yes but Negredo wanted to give it a bit of curl with his outside foot so Mignolet wasn't sure where exactly the ball was going so he picked the safer option (at least he thought that it was).

As I said, the man has his flaws but I just think that it's a bit unfair to say that Mignolet is as bad as some of you are making him to be, especially considering the amount of times he's saved us this season.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby metalhead » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:11 pm

That was poor from Migs today, made a meal out of it again with his save.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:21 pm

Of course. It wasn't Sakho fault, and it definitely wasn't Skrtel's fault, it was Mignolet's fault. How could he not save a shot from 5 yards, a shot to which most keepers wouldn't even bother to reach, never mind keep it out.
Last edited by damjan193 on Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby only me » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:25 pm

damjan193 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:21 pm wrote:Of course. It wasn't Sakho fault, and it definitely wasn't Skrtel's fault, it was Mignolet's fault. How could he not save a shot from 5 yards, a shot to which most keepers would even bother to reach, never mind keep it out.

Simon could have done better but it is pretty hard to react to a ball coming from 5 yards ,it's been a pattern with our defense allowing the attacker the time and the space to do whatever he wants. Our defense should really be more aggressive and taking al the space from any attacker coming in.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:30 pm

Not too concerned about his performance. Don't forget, the reason why we didn't keep clean sheets on a few instances is because of own goals. And also remember, he made a penalty save on his debut which adversely caused a major increase in expectations which he is probably struggling to live up to. I honestly blame the defense. Sakho is error prone and doesn't look comfortable on the ball at all while Skrtel is error prone. Neither of them has the calming influence that Hyypia and Agger brings.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:32 pm

mingolet made 2 great saves today (especially that one from lampard) and the second goal wasnt really his fault, eto`o was that close mingolets reaction time would have been a fraction of a second so he did well to get anything on it.
we just didnt play well enough as a team, especially first half.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby metalhead » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:09 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:32 pm wrote:mingolet made 2 great saves today (especially that one from lampard) and the second goal wasnt really his fault, eto`o was that close mingolets reaction time would have been a fraction of a second so he did well to get anything on it.
we just didnt play well enough as a team, especially first half.

That was a mistake from Mignolet, again he made a meal out of it, should have done a lot better with the save!
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:38 pm

I think the truth is somewhere in between today, he could have done better yes... but I wouldn't blame him for conceding a goal from five yards. That's a bit harsh.

Today he was fairly steady, but unfortunately fairly steady doesn't keep clean sheets away against title contenders.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:24 pm

Some really good stops today. Unfortunate to concede the 3rd goal though. Perhaps Toure was in his view.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:39 pm

maypaxvobiscum » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:24 pm wrote:Some really good stops today. Unfortunate to concede the 3rd goal though. Perhaps Toure was in his view.

That was a shocker, that's what you call a goalkeeping error, but he did make up for it with that save from Gerard's header
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby woof woof ! » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:13 pm

His best attribute is shot stopping, but he still manages to fluff shots placed closed to his body.

Halfway through the season and HE'S STILL FAILING TO COMMAND HIS AREA. Massively worrying.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Fowler_E7 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:43 pm

Im not impressed by him, seems a very average keeper to me. The only real thing he had going for him was his shot stopping and even thats gone out of the window, thats at least the third howler hes let in this season
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:17 pm

Good keeper for me, not a better replacement than Reina unfortunately
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion