SIMON MIGNOLET- Official thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Stu the Red » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:53 am

woof woof ! » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:16 pm wrote:From day one I've never been convinced by this fella and after today's game against Man City I'm even further from thinking he's a GK we need.

Hollywood shot stopping aside he  has far too many holes in his game to fill me with any confidence that he has a long term future with any side looking to challenge for a permanent CL spot.

He doesn't command his area, has fk all communication with his CB's allied to poor positioning, flaps or is nowhere near incisive crosses and when he does have the ball his distribution varies from unimaginative to woeful.

A good keeper for any team in the lower half of the premiership but  imo no where near a keeper with the quality required by a team aiming to reach and remain in a CL position.

Also been saying it since day one. Totally agree. He's slightly better than I first thought, but nowhere near as good as people make out. Not even close. Those who say he's better than Pepe must just simply be on the wind up.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby Stu the Red » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:55 am

only me » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:05 am wrote:Not sure what you people are complaining regarding Simon ..He is part of the reason we are where we at ,less you have pretty short memory span. He carried the team in the beginning of the year and made some terrific saves going forward. Watching other top GK in the PL i don't see him inferior to anyone (maybe to Chelsea's chech) ,Pepe with all his talents was a pretty poor box GK and i remember quite vividly him crashing into players desperately trying to reach a high ball. There isn't a Better Goal stopper then Simon in the PL in my opinion and his communication and box control still requires improvement but he is a top Keeper which we can rely on for the long run.

:no
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby Kharhaz » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:06 am

I want him to succeed, I really do, but he just reminds me of Sander Westerveld.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:05 am

maypaxvobiscum

Postby Octsky » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:44 am

simon got us a point when we would have lost to everton 5-3 while his counterpart pepe palmed a normal high cross onto an everton player then for the ball to crossed over his own line. there is no way in hell i am going to discredit pepe as he was the best keeper for us ever since i watched LFC during the mid 90's.
but i just felt that pepe needed a new challenge elsewhere and his performed showed us that.

i did not watch the mancity match, will watch the highlights when i got back,
i think for a new young keeper in a big club first yr will not be easy, look at manu de gee used to give away silly goals in his first yr and now being established as their number one.judge simon on his second season with us.
i expect the team to bounce back strong and rape chelsea on sun.
a great team do not lose 2 games in a row.
Octsky
LFC Super Member

Postby damjan193 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:11 pm

Did they catch them like this in the "old days"?

damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Raoul » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:30 am

damjan193 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:11 pm wrote:

Did they catch them like this in the "old days"?

touché!
"Life is not just about money. There are other things, important things that have a different kind of value. Anyone from Liverpool could tell you that."

- Jamie Carragher
Raoul
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:02 am

Wish I had twitter so I could reply to that :D
maypaxvobiscum

Postby maguskwt » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:28 am

Mignolet was never my type of goal keeper... He does make alot of awesome saves but he has alot of weaknesses as well. He is not an all rounded keeper.What amazes me is that given his obvious weakness on the ball, and given how BR likes to play ball at the back, why the hell did BR pursue Mignolet and ship out a keeper who is best suited to his system?
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:04 am

The balls and boots are designed to get the ball to move a lot more than in the "old days". He still should have dealt with it but it is easier said than done. All goalies do it now which suggests to me that it is the most consistant way to deal with all that movement, they can't all be wrong.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:46 pm

Funnily enough they were exactly my thoughts.

Neville and van der Sar are absolutely spot on for me.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby Alex G. » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:19 pm

With that ridiculous name of a swiss sweet.
Alex G.
LFC Super Member

Postby parchpea » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:13 pm

Think keepers are scared to catch the way the new ball moves about so are advised to punch or palm it, just get it away rather
than run the risk of dropping a moving ball it in front of goal.

Reckon its probably 6 one half a dozen of the other either method but goalies have always made mistakes and Mignolet is top in pegs despite this error.

Bigger gloves perhaps, like Kenny Everett had  :)
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby damjan193 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:01 am

Stu the Red » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:46 pm wrote:

Funnily enough they were exactly my thoughts.

Neville and van der Sar are absolutely spot on for me.

It's funny when people comment on something like they know it all but have never taken part in it. But when people have actually taken part (in football in this case) and make comments such as those, it's a bit stupid. They of all people should know that mistakes like those HAPPEN. They should know that because they've made plenty of mistakes themselves (like in the video I posted for instance). Yes, it was a poor effort to save a weak shot but I would have expected that ex pros wouldn't try to be an expert and point out the obvious, but acknowledge that these things happen. I don't give a Sh*t about what that ***** Neville thinks, he's never been a goalie, but I was kinda disappointed by vad der Saar there.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu the Red » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:16 am

damjan193 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:01 am wrote:It's funny when people comment on something like they know it all but have never taken part in it. But when people have actually taken part (in football in this case) and make comments such as those, it's a bit stupid. They of all people should know that mistakes like those HAPPEN. They should know that because they've made plenty of mistakes themselves (like in the video I posted for instance). Yes, it was a poor effort to save a weak shot but I would have expected that ex pros wouldn't try to be an expert and point out the obvious, but acknowledge that these things happen. I don't give a Sh*t about what that ***** Neville thinks, he's never been a goalie, but I was kinda disappointed by vad der Saar there.

Again you miss the point and only read what you want to hear.

Mistakes happen, we all know and accept that. But to be honest, jumping and trying a wonder "camera style" save to palm away that effort was absolutely shocking. It was exactly what van der Sar said it was, a very strange way to save a tame effort.

No-one is perfect, no expects otherwise but some of us aren't impressed by camera saves, or mad jumping fist punches.

Some of us are used to seeing a quality goalkeeper stand still and catch a ball. Some of us are used to keepers with good positioning and handling. Mignolet makes a meal of most saves, and quite frankly.... an error like that was always on the cards with the way he keeps goal.

Deserves all the stick he gets for that one I'm afraid. Had he tried to do the right thing and got it wrong, then I'd have sympathy, but he didn't.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion