SIMON MIGNOLET- Official thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby metalhead » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:57 am

Stu the Red » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:49 pm wrote:
red till i die!! » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:35 pm wrote:agreed, he was amazing in at least 3 occasions yesterday. without him i dread to say, it but we would have lost.
absolutely top class goalkeeping

I think if i'm being critical (and I am nit picking a little but I believe in fine margins being the difference) I would say for the first chance he wasn't as quick off his line as he could have been. He did make a good save, i'll have that all day but I still felt he was slightly slow to react. For the Delafauo chance it was a good stop again but one most good goal keepers would make.

There was one monster save though where he came off his line and made himself huge like Schmeicheal used to do. That was extremely impressive.

I'm still not convinced by him, but I definately believe I seen one or two things yesterday which I haven't previously and have calmed my worries down a bit over him. :)

Which instance was it? I thought initially he was slow to react with the Lukaku one but his save was spot on
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:01 am

metalhead » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:57 am wrote:
Stu the Red » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:49 pm wrote:
red till i die!! » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:35 pm wrote:agreed, he was amazing in at least 3 occasions yesterday. without him i dread to say, it but we would have lost.

I think if i'm being critical (and I am nit picking a little but I believe in fine margins being the difference) I would say for the first chance he wasn't as quick off his line as he could have been. He did make a good save, i'll have that all day but I still felt he was slightly slow to react. For the Delafauo chance it was a good stop again but one most good goal keepers would make.

There was one monster save though where he came off his line and made himself huge like Schmeicheal used to do. That was extremely impressive.

I'm still not convinced by him, but I definately believe I seen one or two things yesterday which I haven't previously and have calmed my worries down a bit over him. :)

Which instance was it? I thought initially he was slow to react with the Lukaku one but his save was spot on

The through ball where Lukaku had a chance, he came out and played it off him for a goal kick.

As I said it was a good save... I just think had it been an Aguero or someone he'd have been to slow off his line. But you can only play whats infront of you i suppose.

I think in the second half the smother was from a Miralles effort? Maybe mistaken?

That was a world class save though... without a doubt. To be quite honest I was shocked it was that good a stop.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby metalhead » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:09 am

He made a lot of good stops yesterday  :D
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:25 am

Stu the Red » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:49 am wrote:

he was always a safe bet imo, he showed with sunderland that he's quite capable of good stops. even if he does go hollywood on some of them.  :D
we could have done worse and im sure he will continue to improve as his career progresses. no keeper is without mistakes now and again but in fairness to mingy he has been a solid performer and looks to have good concentration.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu the Red » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:46 am

red till i die!! » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:25 am wrote:
he was always a safe bet imo, he showed with sunderland that he's quite capable of good stops. even if he does go hollywood on some of them.  :D
we could have done worse and im sure he will continue to improve as his career progresses. no keeper is without mistakes now and again but in fairness to mingy he has been a solid performer and looks to have good concentration.

I just look at Begovic though and believe we've badly missed a trick. I think he's an absolute beast of a keeper if I'm honest and would put him in the top five or six in europe. I keep harping on about him because I wish we'd gone for him.

He's the complete goalkeeper. He even scores goals for ***** sake! :D
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby Santa » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:00 am

Personally I would rate Begovic over Mignolet and would have preferred if we have went for Begovic instead. But Simon had a big big game against Everton
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:29 am

I would have liked Bergovic as well but so far I'm very pleased with Mignolet. Having said that I would have liked Messi instead of Aspas but sometimes in life you just don't get everything you want  :laugh:
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby Octsky » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:34 am

i rmb one save when he was one on one with lukaku, and he saved with his trailing right arm. that one one of the best saves i hv seen in a while. how many one on ones did simon saved vs everton. without him we would have lost the game.
Octsky
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:23 pm

Stu the Red » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:46 am wrote:
red till i die!! » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:25 am wrote:

I just look at Begovic though and believe we've badly missed a trick. I think he's an absolute beast of a keeper if I'm honest and would put him in the top five or six in europe. I keep harping on about him because I wish we'd gone for him.

He's the complete goalkeeper. He even scores goals for ***** sake! :D

begovic is outstanding mate and when the idea of pepe first being outed surfaced, he was the one i would have liked to see us get. he was outstanding last season and im surprised he is still there. he wouldnt look out of place in a title winning side and for that reason id expect him to be a city player soon enough.
for me replacing a keeper is a hard thing to do, although we didnt go for begovic we still made the right choice is getting a keeper from this league who can slot right in, and to be fair to mingy he has.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:16 pm

From day one I've never been convinced by this fella and after today's game against Man City I'm even further from thinking he's a GK we need.

Hollywood shot stopping aside he  has far too many holes in his game to fill me with any confidence that he has a long term future with any side looking to challenge for a permanent CL spot.

He doesn't command his area, has fk all communication with his CB's allied to poor positioning, flaps or is nowhere near incisive crosses and when he does have the ball his distribution varies from unimaginative to woeful.

A good keeper for any team in the lower half of the premiership but  imo no where near a keeper with the quality required by a team aiming to reach and remain in a CL position.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby red till i die!! » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:40 pm

woof woof ! » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:16 pm wrote:From day one I've never been convinced by this fella and after today's game against Man City I'm even further from thinking he's a GK we need.

Hollywood shot stopping aside he  has far too many holes in his game to fill me with any confidence that he has a long term future with any side looking to challenge for a permanent CL spot.

He doesn't command his area, has fk all communication with his CB's allied to poor positioning, flaps or is nowhere near incisive crosses and when he does have the ball his distribution varies from unimaginative to woeful.

A good keeper for any team in the lower half of the premiership but  imo no where near a keeper with the quality required by a team aiming to reach and remain in a CL position.

i get what your saying.
for me it was a mistake letting pepe go as there is no competition now and if anything mingy would have learned a thing or 2 from a top keeper with so much experience.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby metalhead » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:47 pm

woof woof ! » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:16 pm wrote:From day one I've never been convinced by this fella and after today's game against Man City I'm even further from thinking he's a GK we need.

I agree with your sentiment Woof, never a top GK, Apart from 2 or 3 great games he has been decent in others and showing signs of his weaknesses
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:55 pm

Still need another quality keeper because I assume Pepe won't be coming back. Our owners have been given enough evidence to realise that it is time to get the cheque book out and spend some serious money. Bergovic should for me be on that list. This is not a reaction to Migns mistake today but more a case of what we really need to compete at the highest level. Rodgers has got the team playing some amazing football and it won't take too many additions to move to the next level.City have spent over £500m developing their team and we looked the better attacking force today especially in the second half.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby damjan193 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:11 pm

Come on guys, you're making it as if the goalkeeper is our weakest link in the team. Mignolet has a lot of flaws but it's like no one remembers that he's saved our ***** a few times. It's always the easiest to blame the keeper for the goals but if those defenders of ours could win a f*cking header then maybe we would have conceded a few goals less.

Replacing our goalkeeper is definitely not the thing that we should be concentrating on in this transfer window. Not sure if it's even worth considering.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby only me » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:05 am

Not sure what you people are complaining regarding Simon ..He is part of the reason we are where we at ,less you have pretty short memory span. He carried the team in the beginning of the year and made some terrific saves going forward. Watching other top GK in the PL i don't see him inferior to anyone (maybe to Chelsea's chech) ,Pepe with all his talents was a pretty poor box GK and i remember quite vividly him crashing into players desperately trying to reach a high ball. There isn't a Better Goal stopper then Simon in the PL in my opinion and his communication and box control still requires improvement but he is a top Keeper which we can rely on for the long run.
only me
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion