Silly season in transfer market! - But what would you do...?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Waldo » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:42 am

So the transfer market is still simmering, waiting for the WC to be over before is boils up nicely and players start moving.

What could that mean for us?

Hodgson has apparently been assured that he will be able to re-invest money from sales into new players.

Yossi has gone (reported £6m fee), Insua looks like he may be next (£5m ish maybe), I think it's only a matter of time before Macherano hands in a transfer request and heads for the exit door (realistic fee being £25m) and hopefully Riera gets punted as well (say, £6m).

Not really a massive overhaul of he squad with only on of those (Mascherano) being an established 1st team players and one of the main men in the squad. These sales could accumulate in the region of £40m for new players and, given the players likely to be available, I think we have an opportunity to bring in players that would seriously improve the team rather than just add numbers to the squad.

Joe Cole is a target, Figuero has been spoken about as a possible replacement at LB, Steven Ireland, SWP, Nedham Onouha and Micah Richards look to be available from Man City. There would still be a gap in the CM where we would need to find an established players to replace Mascherano - Cambiasso and Scott Parker would do me. 

My point is that we can really make massive strides to improve the quality of the squad by being clever over the coming weeks and without massive wholesale changes to the squad (I dont think we need wholesale changes or a massive overhaul).

Of course if Torres decides his time is up then the dynamics of what Roy can do this summer changes altogether and Roy will have a lot more cash to play with.

The other HUGELY influential event that can/will have an impact on all of he above (mainly Torres) is what Gerrard decides to do.

Thoughts??
Waldo
LFC Super Member

Postby Ciggy » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:48 am

Players leaving according to media reports: Insua, Lucas, Yossi (gone), El Zhar, Mascherano, Torres, Gerrard.

Players linked: Peter Crouch, Paul Sharner etc
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:55 am

I think if we could get £20m + Cambiasso for Mascherano then we'd be getting a good deal, I think the problem at the moment is sorting out this Gerrard and Torres situation as we need to know what were buying to replace who, also the fact we don't know what formation and tactics Woy is going to play.

If Torres does stay one thing is sure and thats he needs a partner upfront to take the strain otherwise he's gonna have another injury riddled season. :(
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby neil » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:00 am

can we all just stop mentioning swp please, the guy is useless. Deligted to see Insua is lining up a switch to Italy, Lucas can leave immeadiatley for all I care, shame about Masch however (like Torres) if he's annoyed that he has not won anything during his time here and wants to move on well C'est la vie. Gerrard will stay and I wouldnt mind having Crouch back, I'd give Keane another crack aswell fwiw.
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby neil » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:01 am

its ROY
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:04 am

hhhmmm.... what would i do....?

i think i'd probably read the other half a dozen threads about exactly the same subject.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:15 am

Is that the Merginator I hear starting up? :D
Last edited by fivecups on Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mighty mo » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:08 pm

i would love to see the portuguese left back contrao at liverpool....... he was amazing bombing forward on the left great speed dribbling and whips in great balls...... easily portugals best player at the world cup.can play LB and LM....... and benfica would sell i think
mighty mo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby In and Out » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:18 pm

mighty mo wrote:i would love to see the portuguese left back contrao at liverpool....... he was amazing bombing forward on the left great speed dribbling and whips in great balls...... easily portugals best player at the world cup.can play LB and LM....... and benfica would sell i think

Yes he did look a very good player.
Football is a relatively simple game and Roy knows it ;)
In and Out
LFC Super Member

Postby Fauxy » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:24 pm

Yesss Contrao would be amazing for us. He got 8 assists for Benfica last season, pretty good for a left back.

Only thing is he would probably cost a sh!t load after that world cup.
Fauxy

Postby Benny The Noon » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:28 pm

The question people will have to ask themselves is - which players will come to a club not in CL - for me the top players won't - you can forget players like cambiasso and Joe cole - Woy will be looking to bring in solid prem players not stars
Benny The Noon

Postby JC_81 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:03 pm

Here's some players I would definitely be considering.

Joe Cole
Stephen Ireland
Shaun Wright-Phillips
David Bentley
Alexander Hleb
Mathieu Flamini
Asamoah Gyan

Anyone else think Flamini would be an excellent replacement for Mascherano if he goes?  The lad was brilliant in that role in his final season with Arsenal, but has now completely disappeared off the radar at Milan, never gets a game when fit.  Must still only be mid-twenties.

Bentley is another one I was thinking about.  He seems like a bit of a tw@t off the pitch, but undoubtedly has talent.  I'd take him on the cheap or on a season long loan if we could do it.  Redknapp clearly doesn't rate him at Spurs.  With the right manager though, and if he bucks up his act, he's young enough to rediscover his form of a few seasons ago.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:19 pm

Yeah Flamini is 24, could we afford his wages though? Bently seems like too much of a party goer too, but if he could straighten his attitude out he could be a real player. I couldn't see Spurs letting him go on the cheap though, especially to a team that will be trying to get back into the top 4.

I always liked SWP, pacey player who loves to dribble. He hasn't really got his from his time at City before he went to Chelsea. I remember Ian Wright saying once he told him "see I told you should have gone to Liverpool" after we beat them. Can't remember what game it was.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Raven » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:24 pm

I think if the yanks allow we have to be in for SWP Cole and Ireland.

So thats Sharner and Danny M then.
The Raven

Postby Owzat » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:33 am

Benny The Noon wrote:The question people will have to ask themselves is - which players will come to a club not in CL - for me the top players won't - you can forget players like cambiasso and Joe cole - Woy will be looking to bring in solid prem players not stars

Agwee.

Woy Woy Woy, Woy Hodgson (to Delilah) I do hope some members on here won't have hissy fits every time someone calls Woy by his name  :no
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion