Silly season in transfer market! - But what would you do...?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Dalglish » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:43 pm

Scottbot wrote:Not that i'm gonna get too excited about it but i've always rated Scharner as a decent pro who is well suited to Premiership football. The funny thing is with us Liverpool fans is that we're far happier signing a player unknown to us than a steady player who's been doing a decent job in the league for a number of years. Unfashionable players like a Jimmy Bullard, Scott Parker or a Figoerua get slated but we've got players like Lucas and Insua who have proved to be no more (or not nearly as) effective. We were getting linked with James Milner 12-18 months ago and everyone absolutely slated it, he wasn't a fashionable signing, and we all knew too much about him, not a top 4 player etc but he's had an excellent season at Villa and suddenly they're rejecting £20 million + bids from City to keep him.

There's some decent players players out there and hopefully we've got a manager with the nous to pick up a couple of bargains. Coz we're buggered if he can't!

There is a lot of sense in this post.

I suggest fans put away their "I know everything about football and can spot a decent player a mile off" mentality and at least appreciate that Roy Hodgson has probably forgotten more about football than some of us will ever know !

Scharner IS a decent player and has valuable experience in the premiership.

Scott Parker has the ability and guile to ply his trade in this league.

Alternatively we go and buy some unknown (usually Spanish) player and cross our fingers and make judgments on them based on some spurious You tube clip !

Football full of opinion but that doesn't make those opinions right !
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:53 pm

Dalglish wrote:Alternatively we go and buy some unknown (usually Spanish) player and cross our fingers and make judgments on them based on some spurious You tube clip !

Yep, no-ones kicks up a fuss when we sign a Dossena, or a Gonzalez, or a Riera because we don't know what we're gonna get, we don't know their up-side, they could be brilliant but often they turn out to be cack. When we get linked with a steady Eddie we assume we know how good they can be, assume they're as good as they're going to get, and assume they are playing at a lower club because that is their level.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:11 am

Hi Scottbot,

At present I'd be chuffed to bits to land a Scott Parker or Scharner to give us some much needed stability.

There seems to be much more acceptance when we are linked with foreign players because they are largely unknown and we naturally hope that we have signed the next big thing.

When we signed Alonso and  Garcia shortly after Benitez joined I was at Bolton where they made their debuts and you knew instantly they were going to be significant players for LFC.

In Hodgson we have a manager with an eye for a player and at this time of financial constraint on the club that just might be what we need at present.

Walk on ..............
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Calum » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:35 am

Torres did say a few months ago that the club needed to buy 4 or 5 quality players or he was off. Well, after his poor performances in the World Cup, I don't think clubs will be willing to pay the asking fee, whatever it is. Even if he stays, it's likely to be another season with injury interruptions.

Therefore, another 2 new strikers are needed in addition to Jovanovic. Spurs keep getting linked to potential new strikers, so I'm sure they are going to offload one or two they have already. A return to Anfield for Crouch or Keane? I would definitely take back Crouch. And if Klose can't get a game for his club, is he affordable?

On the problem left side, I wouldn't mind seeing Bellamy back. He is going to struggle to get a game for the Man City Allstars next season, and he is still a quality player. Liverpool need more players with his passion.

Spurs and Man City's squads are getting stronger while Liverpool's appears to be getting weaker. Like last season. Top 5 this season is going to be a tall order, never mind top 4.
Last edited by Calum on Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Calum

Postby Scottbot » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:51 am

Calum wrote:And if Klose can't get a game for his club, is he affordable?

Would absolutely love Klose at Liverpool. He scored more goals (4) at the World Cup (I had him at 55/1 with a Germany double but it just came up short!) than he did for his club (3) the whole of last season. Plus he's getting on a bit so I'd say he is a player who should still be within our grasp. What's not to like, he's fairly mobile for a big lad, he can play the lone front-man if needed, has a bit of skill about him and is excellent in the air. I don't see anyone being linked to him as yet, I'd snap him up. Surely?
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:55 am

The other lad makes an excellent suggestion too in Bellamy. The more you look at Man City the more you think that they have a real title challenging team within their vast numbers, if only they can settle on the right team. He's a really good player is Bellamy, better now than when we had him infact, and despite his lunatic tendancies I'd have him back in a heartbeat.
Last edited by bigmick on Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:27 am

Jo looks like he will be able to leave for around 5Mil. Could be worth a punt...
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fauxy » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:06 am

Jo is absolute, complete and utter w@nk. N'gog is better than him

:D
Fauxy

Postby bigmick » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:11 am

Fauxy wrote:Jo is absolute, complete and utter w@nk. N'gog is better than him

Well I wouldn't go that far (the N'Gog bit) but the first bit I'd go with definately. I'm not being funny and don't laugh, but I WOULD rather have James Beattie.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:13 am

Latest rumours have Brum biddin 8 mil for Babel and Hodgson looking to get a South Korean guy for 6 mil from Monaco - Park Chu-young
Benny The Noon

Postby jacdaniel » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:14 am

Benny The Noon wrote:Latest rumours have Brum biddin 8 mil for Babel and Hodgson looking to get a South Korean guy for 6 mil from Monaco - Park Chu-young

Id sell Babel for that to be honest. He's useless.
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:23 am

bigmick wrote:
Fauxy wrote:Jo is absolute, complete and utter w@nk. N'gog is better than him

Well I wouldn't go that far (the N'Gog bit) but the first bit I'd go with definately. I'm not being funny and don't laugh, but I WOULD rather have James Beattie.

:laugh:
Thommo's perm

Postby In and Out » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:56 am

Benny The Noon wrote:But its still disappointing to see Mick - its not the sort of players i want at the club to get us challenging again as i believe they arent good enough - but i believe its about the best we can do at the moment

Blame the owners not the manager for that.
Football is a relatively simple game and Roy knows it ;)
In and Out
LFC Super Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:14 pm

In and Out wrote:
Benny The Noon wrote:But its still disappointing to see Mick - its not the sort of players i want at the club to get us challenging again as i believe they arent good enough - but i believe its about the best we can do at the moment

Blame the owners not the manager for that.

Wasn't blaming the manager- I know who is at fault
Benny The Noon

Postby Fauxy » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:29 pm

Not sure about selling Babel now... Hodgson might be able to turn him into a better player. If a Higher bid than 8 Mill comes in though, it would be very temptings!

Park Chu Young looked good for Korea in the World cup. 6 Mill for him sounds alrite
Fauxy

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion