Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Should rafa go if he fails to win the league

Yes
40%
No
60%

Total votes : 123

Postby account deleted by request » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:43 pm

Raffmaker wrote:One positive to date is, although we have not played that well, we are still joint top on points, and we have tended to be good finishers in the run-in.

Unfortunately going by past seasons we have little chance, if I remember rightly we have never achieved more points than the mancs in the second half of the season under Rafa. The nearest we have come is in 2005/6 season when we achieved more points than them from the end of October to the end of the season, but even then in the last 19 games we didn't gain MORE points than them. 

I stand to be corrected though as my memory is not what it was, and it was a while ago since it was posted on here.
account deleted by request

Postby metalhead » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:46 pm

s@int wrote:
Raffmaker wrote:One positive to date is, although we have not played that well, we are still joint top on points, and we have tended to be good finishers in the run-in.

Unfortunately going by past seasons we have little chance, if I remember rightly we have never achieved more points than the mancs in the second half of the season under Rafa. The nearest we have come is in 2005/6 season when we achieved more points than them from the end of October to the end of the season, but even then in the last 19 games we didn't gain MORE points than them. 

I stand to be corrected though as my memory is not what it was, and it was a while ago since it was posted on here.

doom gloomer :no

:D , interesting fact that s@int, hopefully it will change?
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:48 pm

metalhead wrote:
s@int wrote:

doom gloomer :no

:D , interesting fact that s@int, hopefully it will change?

Whats past is past ...... we live in hope and expectation mate  :D

Postby bigmick » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:08 am

Yep as I remember it came up in a "delayed Gazelle" discussion of some time ago. The common misconception that we sweep all before us in the second half of the season. I think what has tended to happen in the past is that we rotate from game one and by Christmas are well and truly out of it. Then we start almost through necessity to pick a settled team and get it together. This gives the impression we are rampaging through anything which stands in our way, setting a blistering pace but not quite getting there. Usually though, it's not quite like that.

Last season was a case in point, during the "but we're unbeaten" (we know) period, Chelsea dropped well off the pace. In the second half of the season, Arsenal fell away a lot (although not far enough so we could catch them up) the mancs pressed on, and Chelsea ran on like good things to get into the photo for first. Unfortunately a combination of fate and Steve Bennet made sure that Avram Grant didn't win the Premiership at his first attempt, but they came from behind us to finish well clear of us anyway. Curiously, they also came within a whisker of winning the Champions League in the same season, only a John Terry penalty miss denying them. That they managed to do it without mass rotation was interesting to some, partiucularly as they put us out in the Champions League three days after beating Man Utd with largely the same team. In extra time too. More a case of instantaneous Gazelle than a delayed one on that occasion.
Last edited by bigmick on Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:09 am

As an add on to the previous post, it hasn't happened yet but if our form doesn't pick up soon it definately will. Some will attribute our inability to keep pace with the leaders fairly and squarly at the feet of the fact we didn't rotate more earlier in the season. Absolutely as sure as eggs is eggs that one :;): .
Last edited by bigmick on Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:07 am

bigmick wrote:As an add on to the previous post, it hasn't happened yet but if our form doesn't pick up soon it definately will. Some will attribute our inability to keep pace with the leaders fairly and squarly at the feet of the fact we didn't rotate more earlier in the season. Absolutely as sure as eggs is eggs that one :;): .

look at ManUtd mate.. playing 79 games in 3 days and they keep a pretty much unchanged side in every game... the odd change here and there but nothing too drastic.. with all their injuries and all they still play their first team in EVERY competition.. theyr going after EVERY title infront of them it seems... they can end the season with 6 titles , would have been 7 if it wasnt for Zenit beating thm in the community shield... and their players are all looking better than ever now.. u look at the likes of berbatov and tevez... ppl talking about them being sht this season... theyv both been played into form and theyr banging them in for them now...

that said, i think theyr playing a ridiculous amount of games this season and if they keep picking the same players for every game theyr soon gonna end up struggling to field 11 players who are match fit.. they currently have evra, ferdinand, rafael, evans, brown,fabio, anderson, hargreaves, nani, rooney, welback... guess they cant afford to rotate but then again look at their results and u can see what playing a settled set of players can lead to...
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Madmax » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:43 am

aCe' wrote:
bigmick wrote:As an add on to the previous post, it hasn't happened yet but if our form doesn't pick up soon it definately will. Some will attribute our inability to keep pace with the leaders fairly and squarly at the feet of the fact we didn't rotate more earlier in the season. Absolutely as sure as eggs is eggs that one :;): .

look at ManUtd mate.. playing 79 games in 3 days and they keep a pretty much unchanged side in every game... the odd change here and there but nothing too drastic.. with all their injuries and all they still play their first team in EVERY competition.. theyr going after EVERY title infront of them it seems... they can end the season with 6 titles , would have been 7 if it wasnt for Zenit beating thm in the community shield... and their players are all looking better than ever now.. u look at the likes of berbatov and tevez... ppl talking about them being sht this season... theyv both been played into form and theyr banging them in for them now...

that said, i think theyr playing a ridiculous amount of games this season and if they keep picking the same players for every game theyr soon gonna end up struggling to field 11 players who are match fit.. they currently have evra, ferdinand, rafael, evans, brown,fabio, anderson, hargreaves, nani, rooney, welback... guess they cant afford to rotate but then again look at their results and u can see what playing a settled set of players can lead to...

They have not even hit top gear but are pulling results here and there. Eventually i do hope they lose balance and steam but i really doubt that. They did the same when they won the treble in 99, fielded a similar side so often and look at the end results.
Fergie always accumalates a good bunch of players. One thing that he installs in almost every player is the belief and desire to win.
Its going to take alot from us to win the title this year. I just hope we do. For me this is the best chance we will have for ages as i could see next season becomming more difficult and yet more interesting.
Madmax
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Madmax » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:48 am

bigmick wrote:The other thing which greatly worries me is the planning, as I touched on earlier. Had keane for instance come in and been an instant hit, and Torres not got injured (both of which were presumeably the plan at the seasons outset) who were we planning to play right midfield? Kuyt? Right midfield in a 4-4-2? Am I the only one who thinks that's a ridiculous idea? After five seasons of wheelings and dealings that's our plan? Hmmmm.

Seems like mick rafa initially planned to stick stevie in right mid. For me that was the approach he had at the start. But when he relized the player is more ruthless and prefers the central role he opted not to stick stevie there on a permanant basis. That was last season.
Baffles me though why that position has never really be given alot of attention.
Also makes me think was his plan this year to play kuyt in right wing??!
Really dont understand this. Hope they sort something out in the summer. They should have really looked into it win this months transfer window.
Madmax
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:04 am

Rorschach26 wrote:
Madmax wrote:Its all about quality over quantity. Money does not always bring success. You could gain quality player through the youth system. Thats if they are good enough and the mangers notices thier potential and gives them a chance. Gerrard and carra are home grown players. Without them i dont think we would have got this far. Arsenal are bringing up good players through the youth system aswel players like Gavin Hoyte , aaron ramsey are great future talent. Wenger has got great judgment with youth players. His brought some fantistic players the young foreign lads are not bad either and look promising vela, merida, djourou,song, fiabianski..
IMO i think wenger is a brilliant judge of talent. He buys quality young stars. Pennant was shyte with arsenal, if he had bags of talent i think wenger would'nt have let him go. Dont know why we brought him then.

again with the wenger &  his amzing knack 4 spotting young talent ZZZZZZZZZZ booooorin

he makes it his priority 2 get the best youngsters around the world at the expense of experience thats why 4 however exciting they r they will always come short & because thier all super talented & young thier arrogant :censored: thats why atleast 2 of them leave every year

most of the players wenger buys i know about heyears before gets them but im i a genuis at spotting talent.................no im just not an idiot

Calm down, tough guy.  :kungfu:
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Bam » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:56 am

Considering what looks like to me Rafa's first year of a genuine title challenge, I wouldnt be so hasty in getting rid of him come the end of the season. Albeit its taken longer than I expected, for us to seriously mount any sort of title challenge, I think a contract offer for two years would be adequate. By then, and by some others methods coincedently that would equal the Fergie comparrison :laugh: as to whether or not Rafa should be here. By no means am I personally tallying up Rafa's tenure to Fergie's, I am merely stating the obvious that there has been an improvement if not in our form but our position in the league, which at the end of the day is what we all want (although some trouncing of teams  and good football wouldnt go a miss either)

No, considering where we are now I'd offer him a two year extension and if by the end of that it seems as though he's taken us as far as he can without winning the league. Then I wouldnt give to much worry as to what other big teams want him as their manager. That'll be their perogative, while ours will be looking for someone who can take us that next step further.

Many serious questions about Rafa and his policies will remain until time is called upon him without the delivery of success. I'd be eager to here what the likes of Carra and Gerrard have to say about him and even Hyypia if and when Rafa leaves. Questions asked all the time from his man-management to substitutions or even his apparent stubborness will always and inevitabley be aired about the man. And thats not all forgetting rotation, gameplans, line-ups and transfers in the middle of all that. Its certainly not one or two areas that the fans either question or scrutinise its more of a smorkest board of things.

Two years is fair enough IMO I wouldnt give him anymore now, he seems to be genuinely knocking on the door of the other big three, and we're now in the mix. If he cant take that to the next level in two years time, then I'm happy with the fact rebuilding will have to start all over again. Seven years at a club like Liverpool is enough and with the money spent on the revolving door thats ever spinning at Anfield on more hits than misses is enough.

Forum Discourse
Bam
LFC Super Member

Postby tubby » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:17 pm

Inter Milan boss Mourinho retracts 'small club' jibe by talking up Liverpool's title credentials
By Sportsmail Reporter
Last updated at 11:47 AM on 25th January 2009

Former Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho believes Liverpool possess 'everything they need' to claim the Barclays Premier League title this season.

Rafael Benitez's Reds sit second in league, level on points with leaders Manchester United but behind on goal difference having also played one game more.

While firmly in the title race, Liverpool have been guilty of squandering points at home to less-fancied opposition this season, but Mourinho, now the boss of Inter Milan, believes they can keep their championship challenge on track.

'It has been interesting watching Liverpool this season,' Mourinho wrote in the Sunday Telegraph.

'I think they have everything they need to win the title.

'I still can't understand why they didn't do it in the last four years. Why wouldn't they be able to do it this season? Of course they can.

'The manager is good, the players are good, the crowd is unique, the tradition of the club is big, so why can't they do it? I think they can.'

Mourinho warned, however, that the resumption of the Champions League at the end of next month could again be a distraction for the Anfield club.

'Usually it is when the Champions League starts that they lose their focus on the Premiership,' he continued. 'It was like this in previous years when they did very well in the Champions League but they lost too many points in the championship.

'They have already lost 10 points at home by drawing the kind of matches they used to win. Against Stoke, Fulham, West Ham, Hull and Everton it has been two points lost. So if you can imagine that they had those 10 points now, they would be top of the league.'

The Portuguese also played down the recent spat between Benitez and United manager Sir Alex Ferguson.

'As for these stories I read about Rafael Benitez and Alex Ferguson exchanging words, this is all part of the game,' he said.

'It is part of the fight you have to make to win a title, part of the pressure that managers try and put on other managers, clubs and structures to try to get an advantage.

'I think Benitez and Ferguson respect each other and both know they are contenders for the title. I don't think it is personal.'

Meanwhile, Mourinho hailed the decision of Kaka to snub the advances of Manchester City and remain in Serie A with AC Milan.

'I am happy that Kaka didn't go there,' he said. 'I want the best players to be in my league. I want my league to be as strong as possible and of course Kaka is absolutely top.

'It would have been very, very bad for Italian football if Kaka had left Serie A.

'When a player like him decides to join City it will be because they have proved there is a big project; because I don't think a player like Kaka is going to leave a club like Milan because of one euro more or one euro less.'
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby roberto green » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:20 pm

I don't think so even if we didn't win the league,if we had a new manager we would be more off the pace next season than we would under Rafa and a rebuilding job with  the player exodus that would come with a new manager.

It's easy to forget how far we have come under Rafa and I'm one of them especially after another draw at home but in hindsight and with my sensible head on I have to say I honestly don't think we could have had a better manager than Rafa over the past 5 years.

:)
roberto green

Postby account deleted by request » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:34 pm

Bam wrote:Considering what looks like to me Rafa's first year of a genuine title challenge, I wouldnt be so hasty in getting rid of him come the end of the season. Albeit its taken longer than I expected, for us to seriously mount any sort of title challenge, I think a contract offer for two years would be adequate. By then, and by some others methods coincedently that would equal the Fergie comparrison :laugh: as to whether or not Rafa should be here. By no means am I personally tallying up Rafa's tenure to Fergie's, I am merely stating the obvious that there has been an improvement if not in our form but our position in the league, which at the end of the day is what we all want (although some trouncing of teams  and good football wouldnt go a miss either)

No, considering where we are now I'd offer him a two year extension and if by the end of that it seems as though he's taken us as far as he can without winning the league. Then I wouldnt give to much worry as to what other big teams want him as their manager. That'll be their perogative, while ours will be looking for someone who can take us that next step further.

Many serious questions about Rafa and his policies will remain until time is called upon him without the delivery of success. I'd be eager to here what the likes of Carra and Gerrard have to say about him and even Hyypia if and when Rafa leaves. Questions asked all the time from his man-management to substitutions or even his apparent stubborness will always and inevitabley be aired about the man. And thats not all forgetting rotation, gameplans, line-ups and transfers in the middle of all that. Its certainly not one or two areas that the fans either question or scrutinise its more of a smorkest board of things.

Two years is fair enough IMO I wouldnt give him anymore now, he seems to be genuinely knocking on the door of the other big three, and we're now in the mix. If he cant take that to the next level in two years time, then I'm happy with the fact rebuilding will have to start all over again. Seven years at a club like Liverpool is enough and with the money spent on the revolving door thats ever spinning at Anfield on more hits than misses is enough.

Good post Bam. My only worry with giving Rafa another two years would be that in two years Gerrard will be 31 and Carra 33. Would we be able to attract the same level of manager to the club if he thinks his first job is likely to be finding replacements for players of that caliber? Far easier to "sell" the club to a new manager while Gerrard is near his peak rather than past his peak.

Postby Boocity » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:43 pm

bavlondon wrote:Inter Milan boss Mourinho retracts 'small club' jibe by talking up Liverpool's title credentials
By Sportsmail Reporter
Last updated at 11:47 AM on 25th January 2009

Former Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho believes Liverpool possess 'everything they need' to claim the Barclays Premier League title this season.

Rafael Benitez's Reds sit second in league, level on points with leaders Manchester United but behind on goal difference having also played one game more.

While firmly in the title race, Liverpool have been guilty of squandering points at home to less-fancied opposition this season, but Mourinho, now the boss of Inter Milan, believes they can keep their championship challenge on track.

'It has been interesting watching Liverpool this season,' Mourinho wrote in the Sunday Telegraph.

'I think they have everything they need to win the title.

'I still can't understand why they didn't do it in the last four years. Why wouldn't they be able to do it this season? Of course they can.

'The manager is good, the players are good, the crowd is unique, the tradition of the club is big, so why can't they do it? I think they can.'

Mourinho warned, however, that the resumption of the Champions League at the end of next month could again be a distraction for the Anfield club.

'Usually it is when the Champions League starts that they lose their focus on the Premiership,' he continued. 'It was like this in previous years when they did very well in the Champions League but they lost too many points in the championship.

'They have already lost 10 points at home by drawing the kind of matches they used to win. Against Stoke, Fulham, West Ham, Hull and Everton it has been two points lost. So if you can imagine that they had those 10 points now, they would be top of the league.'

The Portuguese also played down the recent spat between Benitez and United manager Sir Alex Ferguson.

'As for these stories I read about Rafael Benitez and Alex Ferguson exchanging words, this is all part of the game,' he said.

'It is part of the fight you have to make to win a title, part of the pressure that managers try and put on other managers, clubs and structures to try to get an advantage.

'I think Benitez and Ferguson respect each other and both know they are contenders for the title. I don't think it is personal.'

Meanwhile, Mourinho hailed the decision of Kaka to snub the advances of Manchester City and remain in Serie A with AC Milan.

'I am happy that Kaka didn't go there,' he said. 'I want the best players to be in my league. I want my league to be as strong as possible and of course Kaka is absolutely top.

'It would have been very, very bad for Italian football if Kaka had left Serie A.

'When a player like him decides to join City it will be because they have proved there is a big project; because I don't think a player like Kaka is going to leave a club like Milan because of one euro more or one euro less.'

Do you reckon he is trying to line himself up to replace Rafa if he goes. ???
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LegBarnes » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:44 pm

Bad Bob wrote:
Rorschach26 wrote:
Madmax wrote:Its all about quality over quantity. Money does not always bring success. You could gain quality player through the youth system. Thats if they are good enough and the mangers notices thier potential and gives them a chance. Gerrard and carra are home grown players. Without them i dont think we would have got this far. Arsenal are bringing up good players through the youth system aswel players like Gavin Hoyte , aaron ramsey are great future talent. Wenger has got great judgment with youth players. His brought some fantistic players the young foreign lads are not bad either and look promising vela, merida, djourou,song, fiabianski..
IMO i think wenger is a brilliant judge of talent. He buys quality young stars. Pennant was shyte with arsenal, if he had bags of talent i think wenger would'nt have let him go. Dont know why we brought him then.

again with the wenger &  his amzing knack 4 spotting young talent ZZZZZZZZZZ booooorin

he makes it his priority 2 get the best youngsters around the world at the expense of experience thats why 4 however exciting they r they will always come short & because thier all super talented & young thier arrogant :censored: thats why atleast 2 of them leave every year

most of the players wenger buys i know about heyears before gets them but im i a genuis at spotting talent.................no im just not an idiot

Calm down, tough guy.  :kungfu:

you gone to far this time bob posting pictures of me in internet I do have my privacy you know Fooking Bastarered !
LegBarnes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion