Shanks - The quote

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Leonmc0708 » Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:55 am

“My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in. Fire in your belly comes from pride and passion in wearing the red shirt. We don’t need to motivate players because each of them is responsible for the performance of the team as a whole. The status of Liverpool’s players keeps them motivated. For a player to be good enough to play for Liverpool, he must be prepared to run through a brick wall for me then come out fighting on the other side. The fans here are the greatest in the land. They know the game and they know what they want to see. The people on the Kop make you feel great – yet humble. I’m just one of the people who stands on the Kop. They think the same as I do, and I think the same as they do. It’s a kind of marriage of people who like each other. At a football club, there’s a holy trinity – the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don’t come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques. Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass. It is terribly simple. I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her. A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are. In my time at Anfield we always said we had the best two teams on Merseyside, Liverpool and Liverpool reserves. Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory, and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say ‘We’re Liverpool’. If you are first you are first. If you are second you are nothing.”
Attachments

[The extension has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:58 am

shanks was truly a great man, and I am saddened that i am too young to have lived during his time at the club. :(

that quote epitomises the spirit of Liverpool FC, almost the ethos you could say.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby E7. » Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:04 am

Leonmc0708 wrote:“.....I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her.........”

I bet he was a laugh to be maried to. What a thug.  :angry:
E7.

Postby Leonmc0708 » Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:07 am

E7. wrote:
Leonmc0708 wrote:“.....I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her.........”

Listen unlike other forums, we tolerate fans of other clubs, as the whole ethos of internet forums is for discussion, but if you have nothing posotive to input, please refrain from posting pathetic jokes and then wetting your little pants at your keyboard.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby E7. » Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:11 am

Leonmc0708 wrote:
E7. wrote:

Listen unlike other forums, we tolerate fans of other clubs, as the whole ethos of internet forums is for discussion, but if you have nothing posotive to input, please refrain from posting pathetic jokes and then wetting your little pants at your keyboard.

So sorry. Shall I just say nice things about people from your club then. You see I have not read the forum rules. I don't mean to offend. I'm just having a laugh.  :down:
E7.

Postby E7. » Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:17 am

Seriously though, do you think he would have broken her legs? I mean that’s a bit much isn’t it? He was more than likely bigger than her so a simple slap would have done. It’s a bit over the top if you ask me, still, I’m not a Scouser. So what do I know about leg breaking???
E7.

Postby LFC #1 » Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:19 am

E7. wrote:Seriously though, do you think he would have broken her legs? I mean that’s a bit much isn’t it? He was more than likely bigger than her so a simple slap would have done. It’s a bit over the top if you ask me, still, I’m not a Scouser. So what do I know about leg breaking???

I think Shanks is just trying to emphasise how competitive he was and that he would never cheat.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby L-type » Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:25 am

He was just kidding, but he was a very very competitive person. woohoo 200 posts !!!!!!! :laugh:
"I get bored quickly and like to change things — except my wife!”                   - Cisse
We all dream of a team of Sissoko's!! All 15 of them !!
L-type
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby E7. » Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:26 am

LFC #1 wrote:
E7. wrote:Seriously though, do you think he would have broken her legs? I mean that’s a bit much isn’t it? He was more than likely bigger than her so a simple slap would have done. It’s a bit over the top if you ask me, still, I’m not a Scouser. So what do I know about leg breaking???

I think Shanks is just trying to emphasise how competitive he was and that he would never cheat.

You might be on to something there LFC#1. But it's just that his profile fits for a "wife beater", you know? Very popular, high profile job, got to keep up the brave face when the pressure comes on and then BAM> Get's home to give "Er in doors" a right pasting. He could have let something slip there. I mean has anyone in the know ever come out a defended him on this? Just thinking like!
E7.

Postby LFC #1 » Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:26 am

E7. wrote:
LFC #1 wrote:

You might be on to something there LFC#1. But it's just that his profile fits for a "wife beater", you know? Very popular, high profile job, got to keep up the brave face when the pressure comes on and then BAM> Get's home to give "Er in doors" a right pasting. He could have let something slip there. I mean has anyone in the know ever come out a defended him on this? Just thinking like!

****** off you idiot.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby E7. » Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:28 am

LFC #1 wrote:
E7. wrote:
LFC #1 wrote:

****** off you idiot.

What? Why? I'm serious. we're having a chat are we not. I'm not winding you up mate.  :oops:
E7.

Postby LFC #1 » Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:29 am

E7. wrote:I'm not winding you up mate.  :oops:

no not at all.  :Oo:
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby E7. » Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:31 am

LFC #1 wrote:
E7. wrote:I'm not winding you up mate.  :oops:

no not at all.  :Oo:

Straight up. Forget football for a moment. They all leave clues you know. Every one of them. Trust me.
E7.

Postby LFC #1 » Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:33 am

mate, have you had a line or something? :D
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:36 am

:laugh:
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion