Shankly

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby NANNY RED » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:04 am

I was just emailed this by a my mate they got it off  Rawk and it brought a lump to my throat this lad who wrote this piece has got it spot on we never sing his name.

We never sing his name..

THE GREAT MAN.

Sir William Shankly.

Why?

We have a statue outside the Kop. Every time you walk past there’s always someone getting their picture taken next to his statue. It says on it “He made the people happy”.

Only five words to describe him. Accurate I suppose but it should say a lot more. Even so, other words could be even more accurate. How about, “He Made Liverpool Football Club”?

How about three words? He Made Us.

Because he did. Everything we are today, our history, our identity - was largely defined and created by this man.

Yet, we never sing his name?

Paisley was more successful. Fagan did the Treble. Dalglish the Double. Houllier did another Treble. Rafa won The Fifth.  Names that served the club. Served US. Victories achieved, history made.

None greater than Shankly.

AND WE NEVER SING HIS NAME.

He is our spiritual leader. He always will be. For supporters who never experienced Shankly I suppose it’s hard to even imagine what it was like when he led us.

The Sons Of Shankly have taken his name for their organisation simply because he is our spiritual leader. When we think of the soul of Liverpool FC – we see Shankly.

I was lucky that I grew up during the Shankly era and was around for the last few seasons. I remember the day his retirement was announced.  It was like someone had said that the World had officially ended. Shankly was truly larger than life. Liverpool FC without Shankly? Football without Shankly? Impossible.

We owe him everything yet, We NEVER Sing His name.

It’s about time that was remedied.

What about tomorrow night when we play Inter Milan?

That night will bring back memories of Inter ’65. Probably the first of the “special” Anfield occasions.

But, we also want to send a message to Gillett and Hicks – about just how OUR football club should be run. About the things that WE value.  We need to send a message to the players, to the board, to the whole world.

WE are the heart and soul of LFC. WE believe in The Liverpool Way.

The Liverpool Way IS the Shankly way.

It’s about time that refrain to the tune of Amazing Grace was once again heard echoing around the Fields Of Anfield Road.

Shankly, Shankly……Shankly, Shankly…..

We never sing about the Greatest Manager we ever had. It’s about time we did again.

Let’s remind everyone who we are, what we stand for and how we want OUR club to be run.

With honesty, integrity, passion, will to win and with the fans at the Heart.

In short, The Shankly Way.

Let’s get all four sides of Anfield singing the name of the man who made us what we are and truly loved us.

I call upon RTK, The Sons Of Shankly and every other RED who can get to the game tomorrow – send a message to the WORLD…..

THIS IS ANFIELD. WE ARE THE MIGHTY REDS. THIS IS OUR CLUB.

SING BILL SHANKLY’S NAME. HE EMBODIED EVERYTHING WE WERE, EVERYTHING WE ARE AND EVERYTHING WE SHOULD BE.

LET’S ACKNOWLEDGE THAT AND REMIND OURSELVES AND THE WORLD JUST WHAT A SPECIAL MAN HE WAS AND JUST WHAT A SPECIAL CLUB THIS IS.

God Rest You and God Bless You Bill.
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:08 am

We sing Benitez' name and look at the grief he's getting.

You don't need to sing a name to remember a man. United don't sing for Fergie, does that mean they've forgotten him?

Bill Shankly's name will always go down in the history of this club. I would say thanks to him we're were we are now because of him but that's not true, because he built this club into "a bastian of invinceablity" not a laughing stock. But the name of Liverpool Football Club is down to him and his players from 59 onwards. Just because we don't sing his name, doesn't mean we've forgotten or don't care about the man.

Never be forgotten Bill.
1) You'll Never Walk Alone
2) pass and move is the Liverpool groove
3) FIRST WILL ALWAYS BE FIRST AND SECOND WILL ALWAYS BE NOTHING.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby NANNY RED » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:18 am

Sorry John but i dont agree with you there mate I dont give a s.hit about the mancs singin whoevers name . And yes we sing Raffa name but i think what this lad is trying to point out is we are who we are because of Shanks.

I would love it if we started singing his name again especialy tomorrow night . The man gave me so much joy that sometimes i thought my heart was gonna explode so i agree with this lad sing it loud and clear like we used to on the kop Lets get the old spirit back again
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redtrader74 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:23 am

NANNY RED wrote:Sorry John but i dont agree with you there mate I dont give a s.hit about the mancs singin whoevers name . And yes we sing Raffa name but i think what this lad is trying to point out is we are who we are because of Shanks.

I would love it if we started singing his name again especialy tomorrow night . The man gave me so much joy that sometimes i thought my heart was gonna explode so i agree with this lad sing it loud and clear like we used to on the kop Lets get the old spirit back again

Good shout Nanny, anything that will get the place buzzing with emotion and nostalgia will help create an atmosphere. It won't be a problem tomorrow, but all too often most of Anfield is very quiet these days, people seem embarassed to sing.
redtrader74
LFC Super Member

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:23 am

I understand that Nanny, and I agree we SHOULD sing it, but the fact is we don't. That doesn't mean we're disrespecting what he did for the club does it?

If we're gonna sing anybody's name it should be John Houlding. After all he founded the club, so it's really down to him, or John Smith for appointing Shankly. Shanks is a legend at this club, but so are many people. We don't sing Emlyn Hughes' name or even Ian Rush's.

Also get the old spirit back, never going to happen, will only happen if we go back to the older days of no seats. Nothing better than the swing of the Kop in the glory years, now that attmosphere doesn't exist.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby redtrader74 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:27 am

god_bless_john_houlding wrote:I understand that Nanny, and I agree we SHOULD sing it, but the fact is we don't. That doesn't mean we're disrespecting what he did for the club does it?

If we're gonna sing anybody's name it should be John Houlding. After all he founded the club, so it's really down to him, or John Smith for appointing Shankly. Shanks is a legend at this club, but so are many people. We don't sing Emlyn Hughes' name or even Ian Rush's.

Also get the old spirit back, never going to happen, will only happen if we go back to the older days of no seats. Nothing better than the swing of the Kop in the glory years, now that attmosphere doesn't exist.

I think if the Club actively set aside sections for young blokes, teenagers and the like, with some kind of reduced prices so the same people come in every week, we could see a revitalising of the atmosphere.
redtrader74
LFC Super Member

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:29 am

You mean like the old boys pen. Had some great nights in there, but nothing beat being in the middle of the Kop. Just right of the goal.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby redtrader74 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:32 am

god_bless_john_houlding wrote:You mean like the old boys pen. Had some great nights in there, but nothing beat being in the middle of the Kop. Just right of the goal.

Yeah, i know its a sore subject, but i'd be all for a small standing section aswell. Unfortunatly my matchgoing started after terraces were removed, unless you count a game at Fulham... :(
redtrader74
LFC Super Member

Postby NANNY RED » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:35 am

I know the atmosphere will be special tomorrow but wouldnt it be fitting just to hear the mans name echoing around the ground again i mean dont forget he was cheated by these of winning possibly our first European cup.

I know most proberbly loads on here havnt seen what i saw with him as our manager but i hope we sing his name
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:36 am

I grew up the terraces, and I heard about the idea of small parts of grounds going back to standing a few months back on Sky Sports News. They were talking to people assosicated with Sheffield Wednesday about the idea and they were all for it, even spoke about the Hillsbrough tradgedy.

I'd be up for it as well, but sooner or later more and more people want to use the standing area, and then cahos happens again.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:37 am

We used to sing his name Nanny, remember the song....SHANKLY SHANKLY SHANKLY. Good with words in those days :D
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby NANNY RED » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:41 am

god_bless_john_houlding wrote:We used to sing his name Nanny, remember the song....SHANKLY SHANKLY SHANKLY. Good with words in those days :D

yep to the tune of Amazing Grace.
Talkin of the boys pen the only time i went in there i hated it and got 2 big dockers to lift me over back in the Kop :D
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:42 am

Cracking opening post Nanny, I think it would be a great way to SHOW that we still remember. Fantastic post , brought tears to my eyes that. Might just remind a few players of just what club they are playing for as well. Fantastic idea!
account deleted by request

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:45 am

NANNY RED wrote:
god_bless_john_houlding wrote:We used to sing his name Nanny, remember the song....SHANKLY SHANKLY SHANKLY. Good with words in those days :D

yep to the tune of Amazing Grace.
Talkin of the boys pen the only time i went in there i hated it and got 2 big dockers to lift me over back in the Kop :D

and the dockers have been picking you up ever since eh love  :D  (couldn't resist and that makes the slap count 3 now)
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby Reg » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:45 am

Great post Nanny, and perfect timing. I was away this weekend and only got to see the FA Cup score on the net around midnight. I was devastated.

I spent the other night surfing the net when I posted those  Bob tributes for you.

I came across one other video, just a few seconds long, but on reflection it was the difference between what Shanks built and what our recent managers have failed to achieve, its THE reason why we lost to Barnsley.

Take a look and tell me you dont agree. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uc_XSdOLFSU&feature=related

Have a good evening. :;):
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion