Sg: little chance to win the cl - Appropriate statement?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby anfieldadorer » Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:04 pm

Liverpool skipper Steven Gerrard has put a downer on things ahead of tonight's match by saying that the club has little chance of winning the Champions League.

Although he could be right, we'd expect a more positive attitude from the skipper at least until after the match is out of the way.

Speaking to BBC Radio 5 Live, Gerrard said: "Let's be realistic, there are some fantastic teams left in the Champions League. We are just going to try to stay in as long as possible but we realise that maybe it is not our year this year."

The Liverpool skipper has gone on record numerous times saying how important it is for him to play in the Champions League so the club will be hoping to make progress in the hope of persuading him to stay at Anfield.

Gerrard added: "It's big couple of months for Liverpool. We're fighting for the fourth spot for the Champions League for next season but we are still involved in two cup competitions, which are very important.

"We are confident we can upset Chelsea in the Carling Cup final and get to the last eight of the Champions League because, financially, it is big for the club and, personally for myself, it is very good."
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:10 pm

Gerrard is right in what he is saying,

But I don't think he should be saying it in public as he is club captain and should be trying to be more positive.

We all know it is unlikely we will win it this year, but if the players don't believe we can then whats the point?
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stan Laurel » Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:14 pm

Never say never to win the CL this season because I do believe Liverpool got the chance to reach to the final, I can't see why not.
Stan Laurel
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anfieldadorer » Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:23 pm

SG: You may only be trying to be realistic, but in this matter, please shut yer fcukin gob. Are you trying to make your first manouvre to smooth out your way getting off the club? Well, if it's so, it's not necessary captain, just leave!  :angry:
Last edited by anfieldadorer on Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anfieldadorer » Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:44 pm

okay, mix of frustration of the recent result and a bit nervous about the upcoming match :(
Last edited by anfieldadorer on Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ckay » Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:50 pm

Porto and Monaco wern't the best teams in the comp last season but they both got to the final! You need a certain amount of luck to reach any final. Maybe it's our turn!!!!
ckay
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:50 pm

Well we've more chance of winning the CL than the league these days.

Maybe if we had morientes this season we'd have good chance.  But I think we're too short up fron without him and pongolle.  If baros gets injured then what do we do then?
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Starbridge42 » Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:52 pm

You never ever ever ever ever want to hear your captain saying stuff like that :blues:
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby stmichael » Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:58 pm

i agree that it is an extreme outside chance that we will win the CL but whilst we're still in it we've still got a chance. :)
Last edited by stmichael on Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Nando » Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:33 pm

have to question stevie g's logic, he is being accused at the moment for having no loyalty to the club, yes the statement he said is true but if he said there are some fantastic teams in the CL but we r still in the reckoning and have to believe in ourselves then fair enuff, u see we cant win it but ur damn well gonna give it a go, this isnt the precedent and example a captain should be setting, he has got a long way yet to go to get to keans stature, i mite get slated but to be quite frank dont really care we all know it, keano is jus immense and a different class, ability wise not as good as stevie g but his status and presence definitely takes some beating
Nando
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:35 pm

You can bet that if we win tonight, no fan in that stadium will even care about stevie G.

Come on you MIGHTY REDS!!!!

Remember success is most enjoyable when it has been won against all odds...
Real champions believe in themselves even when no one else will!!!

Show the world what we're made of!!

Come on you RED MEN!!!! :)
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Ciggy » Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:38 pm

stmichael wrote:You can bet that if we win tonight, no fan in that stadium will even care about stevie G.

Come on you MIGHTY REDS!!!!

Remember success is most enjoyable when it has been won against all odds...
Real champions believe in themselves even when no one else will!!!

Show the world what we're made of!!

Come on you RED MEN!!!! :)

Hear Hear Stmick well said :cool:
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby el_stinger » Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:59 pm

Too much time on Stevies hands to go and spill out to the press, maybe he should pick up a drinking problem after trainings and the games, keep his mind out of the media. Do a Tony Adams. After all, he won't be our problem after Summer.

What a stupid comment, again, sadly.
el_stinger
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:45 pm

he shoulg just leave, he is a disgrace to the shirt he wears... what a nob ed
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby Big Niall » Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:49 pm

Wheres the motivation!

Nobody thinks we'll win it but its a cup so you never know. Players must believe that they can win and if you say it often enough to yourself then you begin to believe it.

I'm fed up of that toss*r, you won't see my crying if we get bags of money for the wingebag in the summer.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion